Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 28, 17, 12:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 28, 20, 4:40 am

Programs: UA and HH
Deleted...

Last edited by gbryan84; Mar 15, 20 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 31, 20, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
Originally Posted by gbryan84 View Post
I changed my sons MP address to the US and his Silver status stuck despite coming up just short of the required spend. Just one point of reference.
Very brave! I am waiting until my virtual card shows expiring 1/2021 which has not been updated as of this post.
Old Jan 31, 20, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum;Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Exp;Hertz PC;Johnnie Walker Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
I'm waiting until there are confirmed reports about 2020 status not being clawed back.

Anyone with <$15k 2019 PQD and a foreign address switch back yet? Did status and everything hold?
I hope people will post their experiences. I was originally thinking of starting a new thread on this subject. My S.O., who is a 1K with a foreign address will be changing back to a US address most likely, but doesn't want to lose his 2020 1K status through some type of crackdown!
Old Jan 31, 20, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
I hope people will post their experiences. I was originally thinking of starting a new thread on this subject. My S.O., who is a 1K with a foreign address will be changing back to a US address most likely, but doesn't want to lose his 2020 1K status through some type of crackdown!
I don't think United cares - but one never knows!
Old Jan 31, 20, 6:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
Very brave! I am waiting until my virtual card shows expiring 1/2021 which has not been updated as of this post.
Give it a few more hours

... My S.O., who is a 1K with a foreign address will be changing back to a US address most likely, but doesn't want to lose his 2020 1K status through some type of crackdown!
What is the hurry? Can not think of a reason until next year's member kit (and only if Plat or higher)
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum;Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Exp;Hertz PC;Johnnie Walker Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Give it a few more hours

What is the hurry? Can not think of a reason until next year's member kit (and only if Plat or higher)
Well when he hits the Million Miles mark later this year (about 45k short at the moment) we will want to have the same address for our MP accounts so I can share his lifetime gold status and be bumped up to gold for the rest of this year.
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well when he hits the Million Miles mark later this year (about 45k short at the moment) we will want to have the same address for our MP accounts so I can share his gold status.
Same address not required for MMer companions (regardless of what you read), see Million Miler companion benefit for that discussion. UA stopped that practice many years ago (just did not change the web).
Old Feb 1, 20, 8:51 pm

Same address not required for MMer companions (regardless of what you read), see Million Miler companion benefit for that discussion. UA stopped that practice many years ago (just did not change the web).
Thanks for the info! Good to know!
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I genuinely live abroad. Is there any reason not to switch to a US address? The benefit would be the occasional offer from UA. Nearly all my travel originates from abroad so UA could spot that my US address is not home.
Old Feb 2, 20, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I genuinely live abroad. Is there any reason not to switch to a US address? The benefit would be the occasional offer from UA. Nearly all my travel originates from abroad so UA could spot that my US address is not home.
I have never had a promotion which I qualified for in the past. Hoping changing to my US address gives me some benefits.
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
I have never had a promotion which I qualified for in the past. Hoping changing to my US address gives me some benefits.
However, one could speculate, with non-domestic address flyers seeing increased status requirements, UA might run promos aimed at that group.
Old Feb 2, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
However, one could speculate, with non-domestic address flyers seeing increased status requirements, UA might run promos aimed at that group.
perhaps but It seems UA is giving up on trying to attract overseas flyers. Itís a sense I get that the outward-looking, global airline of a decade ago is retreating into a more parochial sort of place: flogging credit cards their overseas customers are excluded from, endless announcements about Mobile Passport apps their overseas customers are excluded from, Polaris menus which are tailored exclusively to US tastes, rather than being more varied etc. It may, of course, be that the overseas percentage has always been low and they are reflecting reality, or that itís declining but my perception over the years is that it has changed. We did get some offers a long time ago but nothing for at least ten years.
Old Feb 2, 20, 1:33 pm

They will wait until the day after I change mine.
Old Dec 5, 20, 7:27 pm

Status already showing 2022 expiry.
Any reason not to change overseas address back to US?
Old Dec 5, 20, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf View Post
Status already showing 2022 expiry.
Any reason not to change overseas address back to US?
Probably not, but if you think UA might do something unique for non-USA residents then may not (Wished for by others but I'm not aware of reason to think that will happen).

Search this Thread