Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by weibelt
I am wondering if I am missing anything. I live in New Zealand (and have documents that can back it up), but have not switched my UA account from the US to New Zealand. I pay for my flights with a US credit card. I was thinking of updating my address with UA to the country that I actually live in, NZ. Can I still pay with a US card having a foreign address? Will I still have access to booking via the mobile app with a non-US address? I know that I will probably lose out on promotions, but is there anything else that you do not get with a foreign address?
Same as my situation. The promos on the website won't work for you, but I otherwise have no issue with this. Just make sure the correct payment address is selected when you check out online (and make sure that agents are using the correct payment address when you call in). Somehow the payment address doesn't always stick.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by weibelt
I am wondering if I am missing anything. I live in New Zealand (and have documents that can back it up), but have not switched my UA account from the US to New Zealand. I pay for my flights with a US credit card. I was thinking of updating my address with UA to the country that I actually live in, NZ. Can I still pay with a US card having a foreign address? Will I still have access to booking via the mobile app with a non-US address? I know that I will probably lose out on promotions, but is there anything else that you do not get with a foreign address?
The promos are a no-go, not that they were ever that amazing to begin with, but payment wise you should be fine. I earn money in USD, I have a vacation home in FL, US credit cards addressed to that location, and I have absolutely no interest in doing money-wasting currency conversions between CDN/USD for no reason, and this is really none of UA's business how I earn or manage my finances.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:02 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The promos are a no-go, not that they were ever that amazing to begin with, but payment wise you should be fine. I earn money in USD, I have a vacation home in FL, US credit cards addressed to that location, and I have absolutely no interest in doing money-wasting currency conversions between CDN/USD for no reason, and this is really none of UA's business how I earn or manage my finances.
Why would there be currency conversions if your form of payment is a US-addressed credit card? I've had my address for MP in Thailand for a few years now, but use my VISA card which has a US billing address and always see & purchase tickets quoted in USD. I'm grateful for the PQD waiver using this system.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Why would there be currency conversions if your form of payment is a US-addressed credit card? I've had my address for MP in Thailand for a few years now, but use my VISA card which has a US billing address and always see & purchase tickets quoted in USD. I'm grateful for the PQD waiver using this system.
If UA requires me to use a Canadian credit or debit card to buy my airline tickets, I am being forced to convert my US$ earnings into CAN$ to pay the credit card. I am paid in US$, therefore my credit cards are regular USA credit cards, my banking and investments are done in US$ and I don't expect to be restricted on which credit card I use and for what reason, which is really none of UA's business. I convert very small amounts of CAN$ into US$ to cover incidental purchases in Canada such as dining, groceries etc. that don't add up to much because I am not paying for any living expenses up there.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:38 am

If UA requires me to use a Canadian credit or debit card to buy my airline tickets, I am being forced to convert my US$ earnings into CAN$ to pay the credit card. I am paid in US$, therefore my credit cards are regular USA credit cards, my banking and investments are done in US$ and I don't expect to be restricted on which credit card I use and for what reason, which is really none of UA's business. I convert very small amounts of CAN$ into US$ to cover incidental purchases in Canada such as dining, groceries etc. that don't add up to much because I am not paying for any living expenses up there.
UA does not require you to use the currency of your address. Actually it is the other way around and can sometimes be a bit annoying. They will bill you based on the address of your credit card and I had cases where it tried to get me 'different' pricing while I was using a non US United web site. Also I do have a couple credit cards with no foreign transaction fees so there really would be no loss.
We live and have our address in Switzerland and all except 1 credit card is US based. I buy all tickets (including the ones in CHF with the US cards to get the 3 Chase Points). So this would not be a problem for you and you keep paying in USA. Having the PQD waiver is nice. You still do have the 4 segment rule though and my son did therefore not get any status with 60000 PQM's because all his flights were on other A* airlines.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:44 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Originally Posted by German Expat
UA does not require you to use the currency of your address.
What he said. (And what I said. )
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Question

Hi folks, my company is thinking of relocating me to Singapore in the new year. As a 1K Million Miler with potentially heavy travel intra Asia (and also back to the US periodically), I should still be able to reach 100,000 miles/yr, just obviously not so much on UA metal. (maybe SQ/Thai/Eva etc).

I will be able to produce the proper documentations (e.g. foreign utility bill, lease - all under my name, etc) but have a few questions:

1. Just to confirm, UA *still* grants PQD waiver for 1K members (and not just for the lower tiers), correct?

2. When re-qualifying as a 1K upon reaching 100K PQM (as an overseas member) I will still get the 6 GPUs and 4 RPUs, correct?

3. Would UA still mail their annual 1K kit to my foreign address? (card, luggage tag, coasters, etc)?

4. Would I still be able to buy tickets on the United's US website (or would they redirect me to the Singapore website upon login)? My paycheck is still in USD of course.

5. I keep hearing that if I use U.S. based credit cards (and I still have one of those Chase MP Select Visa card... 3 miles/US$1 spent on UA ... registered to my parents' address in the US), it will (or could) hose my foreign address in my Mileage Plus profile. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening, should I be vigilant and just change it back, or am I just worrying over nothing?

5. Maybe more of an MP general question, but since I'm already a Million Miler (so lifetime Premier Gold), do I still need that 4 minimum segments on UA metal to re-qualify for 1K? It won't be a problem since I will still fly to the US for holidays, etc.

It sounds (from reading through this thread) that no one has really experienced any negative impact for being an overseas member with the exception of not qualifying for promos (and I haven't even seen a promo since UA merged with CO!!), but if anyone can think of anything else, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks as always!

Last edited by Jamester; Jul 18, 2019 at 12:51 am Reason: Typos
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Jamester
Hi folks, my company is thinking of relocating me to Singapore in the new year. As a 1K Million Miler with potentially heavy travel intra Asia (and also back to the US periodically), I should still be able to reach 100,000 miles/yr, just obviously not so much on UA metal. (maybe SQ/Thai/Eva etc).

I will be able to produce the proper documentations (e.g. foreign utility bill, lease - all under my name, etc) but have a few questions:

1. Just to confirm, UA *still* grants PQD waiver for 1K members (and not just for the lower tiers), correct?

2. When re-qualifying as a 1K upon reaching 100K PQM (as an overseas member) I will still get the 6 GPUs and 4 RPUs, correct?

3. Would UA still mail their annual 1K kit to my foreign address? (card, luggage tag, coasters, etc)?

4. Would I still be able to buy tickets on the United's US website (or would they redirect me to the Singapore website upon login)? My paycheck is still in USD of course.

5. I keep hearing that if I use U.S. based credit cards (and I still have one of those Chase MP Select Visa card... 3 miles/US$1 spent on UA ... registered to my parents' address in the US), it will (or could) hose my foreign address in my Mileage Plus profile. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening, should I be vigilant and just change it back, or am I just worrying over nothing?

5. Maybe more of an MP general question, but since I'm already a Million Miler (so lifetime Premier Gold), do I still need that 4 minimum segments on UA metal to re-quality for 1K? It won't be a problem since I will still fly to the US for holidays, etc.

It sounds (from reading through this thread) that no one has really experienced any negative impact for being an overseas member with the exception of not qualifying for promos (and I haven't even seen a promo since UA merged with CO!!), but if anyone can think of anything else, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks as always!
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes - but you won't be eligible for most promotions.
5. Never heard this and never had a problem with it. Once accidentally changed my address to the US address on the card. I called and explained the mistake immediately and they changed it back without documentation (which I have, but still it's a pain in the ---).
5(2). Yes
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Red face

Originally Posted by TomA
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes - but you won't be eligible for most promotions.
5. Never heard this and never had a problem with it. Once accidentally changed my address to the US address on the card. I called and explained the mistake immediately and they changed it back without documentation (which I have, but still it's a pain in the ---).
5(2). Yes
Wow thanks for the quick response Tom!

A couple of follow up questions (and sorry if they sound dumb):
1. As a 1K MM, I am able to grant an annual companion Premier status, "defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at the same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information) on an annual basis". My significant other would move to Singapore with me - but when I change her address to be the same as my foreign one, would she need to produce the same documentation to UA? Obviously the utility bill or lease won't be under her name, she's literally just "tagging along".

2. There are NO discrimination in status/priority (in an upgrade waitlist situation) between a US based 1K member and an overseas-based 1K member...that we all know of... correct?

Thx again!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
1. Yes
2. No
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:20 am

5. Maybe more of an MP general question, but since I'm already a Million Miler (so lifetime Premier Gold), do I still need that 4 minimum segments on UA metal to re-qualify for 1K? It won't be a problem since I will still fly to the US for holidays, etc.

Thanks as always!

1. As a 1K MM, I am able to grant an annual companion Premier status, "defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at the same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information) on an annual basis". My significant other would move to Singapore with me - but when I change her address to be the same as my foreign one, would she need to produce the same documentation to UA? Obviously the utility bill or lease won't be under her name, she's literally just "tagging along".

2. There are NO discrimination in status/priority (in an upgrade waitlist situation) between a US based 1K member and an overseas-based 1K member...that we all know of... correct?

Thx again!
1. This one I don't know, maybe someone else does, but I suspect her documentation requirements would be the same.
2. Except the aforementioned ineligibility for promotions (like earn double miles on XXX-YYY flights) that's correct.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For better clarification:

It is not a waiver, but an exemption. All non-U.S. based members (based on UA's primary address) are not subject to PQD at all.

Yes.

Yes, but expect delays due to delivery (about late January to early February). Also - you won't get the yellow carry-on strap as MPSC won't send them overseas.

You may be redirected to UA Singapore at first (due to IP address). But once you have logged in, it will go back to your own preference.

This never happens, at least to me.

Just make sure whatever you do, don't touch the primary address unless necessary once everything has been finalized.

4-segment are compulsory to all elite members regardless addresses. If you don't have the 4 required segments, your status will be dropped to the lowest possible based on your situation, i.e. Premier Gold.

AFAICT - most promotions are not really targeting 1Ks. So you are really on the safe side.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:18 am

When I moved overseas, I had no trouble updating my MP profile and that of my wife. I provided MP with documentation from my employer that indicated my reassignment overseas, and both our profiles were immediately updated.

All of my credit cards are US based, and I haven't seen any adverse results to my account when using them.

p.s. I was going to take a job in Singapore a few years ago, then I checked out the weather.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Forget this part

I won't touch anything unless UA no longer allows you to continue the sponsorship.

The only factor that UA discriminate among members with the same level of status is fare class.

However - keep in mind, once you become a non-U.S. based member, your chance getting a CPU will be dramatically decreased, as it is due to changes in travel pattern.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1K

While the policy states that the beneficiary of your companion status must live at the same address as you, that doesn't actually appear to be enforced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.