Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: united 1k
I am wondering if delta has this address clause... if not, then I view this "exception" as a transition period waiver, and ultimately UA will remove
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gonezen
If the given is that UA won't match up a foreign MP address with a USA Chase CC address, what's to keep me or anyone from cooking up a bogus foreign address for MP to avoid the spend requirement? I say this assuming that the foreign address doesn't come into play since, other than junk mail, all MP correspondence could be done by email. Am I overlooking something?
There are tens of millions of MP members. The number of people who will change their addresses is a drp in the bucket compared to that total. The only postal mail I get related to my Mileage Plus membership is my annual elite kit. I don't even get credit card offers from them. (Perhaps that's because I have the PP card?)
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gbryan84
You wouldn't get your membership package, which means no *G lounge access on international travel
No bounced mail for me - after a couple of phone calls, still haven't received my 1K package

The only snail mail I get from UA is to sign up for an energy provider

EmailKid
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:36 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
UA could close that loophole very quickly...

... by changing the definition of "US residence" from "country declared as residence on UA profile" to "country where your credit card is issued."

Actually, I hope someone at UA does read this to close the loophole before the new policy takes effect.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
I need the wisdom of the group:

1) I don't currently have a UA credit card, but I WAS planning on getting one. Now should I even bother?

2) Is the address waiver gonna last?

And this question might be of interest to many:

3)Seeing that AA likely will adopt PQD too, and the international address thing is up in the air, are we better off sticking with UA with the international address? What's the likelyhood that AA gives internationals a break too?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:53 pm

To your question 2) and 3), since this move from UA is unilateral in the star alliance and this is a very bad move to its partners so it must have received a lot of complaint . The international address waiver could be a temporary compromise.

When the waiver will be going? if after some time EVERYONE in the alliance is doing this ( very possible reality) then it's natural to remove the waiver...

Following Saint takes some painful effort; following Satan is easy...

Originally Posted by UAConcorde
I need the wisdom of the group:

1) I don't currently have a UA credit card, but I WAS planning on getting one. Now should I even bother?

2) Is the address waiver gonna last?

And this question might be of interest to many:

3)Seeing that AA likely will adopt PQD too, and the international address thing is up in the air, are we better off sticking with UA with the international address? What's the likelyhood that AA gives internationals a break too?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by gonezen
If the given is that UA won't match up a foreign MP address with a USA Chase CC address, what's to keep me or anyone from cooking up a bogus foreign address for MP to avoid the spend requirement? I say this assuming that the foreign address doesn't come into play since, other than junk mail, all MP correspondence could be done by email. Am I overlooking something?
Consider this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20949243-post1039.html

Assume that United will implement something similar.

Last edited by ovenman; Jun 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm Reason: Bad link
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by txp
... by changing the definition of "US residence" from "country declared as residence on UA profile" to "country where your credit card is issued."

Actually, I hope someone at UA does read this to close the loophole before the new policy takes effect.
So? I've got credit cards in multiple countries....

Some of you are reading WAY too much into this. Most people won't "move." But some clearly will. The number who will is nt going to be high compared to the total number of members. Don't forget that most people in the US still don't even have passports and have never left the country.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Don't forget that most people in the US still don't even have passports and have never left the country.
Yeah, and those people seldom take flights too.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
just
changed
my
address!

waiting for audit/closure. will report
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I'm dual US/Canada with addresses in both. I could legitimately lay claim to Canada. But I too am afraid of the consequences vis-a-vis Chase and whether UA could unilaterally decide based on my bookings that I'm fraudulently claiming a Canada-based account (nevermind the fact that UA doesn't serve my home airport there).

Not too concerned about promos; besides the 5K RDM from Map of Nightmares I haven't benefited from any since 3/2012.
I'm in exactly the same boat - dual US/Canada and I have multiple trips a year between US/YYZ (although 99% are flown on AC) and 75% of the rest of my travel is between FL/SEA and a few overseas trips and a sprinkling of biz travel to visit clients. The Canadian address is perfectly legitimate, I receive mail there and hold a cell phone and internet account with this address. Anything UA sends me, my parents will either send down or I can pick it up when I'm in YYZ.

I highly doubt the address associated with my MP plan will have anything to do with Chase. I am not concerned about an audit because I am happy to send UA copies of my cell or internet accounts, or bank statements received at that address which have been in place for years.

The only thing I'm concerned about is losing OLCI or Pre, even though my Global Entry number is in my passenger profile - which in itself can be a different address from the MP account, but if it's a Canadian address with a GE number in the known traveler field, will I really have a problem with OLCI and Pre on purely domestic US itineraries?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gbryan84
You wouldn't get your membership package, which means no *G lounge access on international travel. Also, if it is returned to the sender, that might be a red flag that you don't really live there.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Where would they send your status card the achievement of which is the whole reason to move your address to begin with.
You can print a MP card online.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen

The only thing I'm concerned about is losing OLCI or Pre, even though my Global Entry number is in my passenger profile - which in itself can be a different address from the MP account, but if it's a Canadian address with a GE number in the known traveler field, will I really have a problem with OLCI and Pre on purely domestic US itineraries?
I live in YVR and I have my NEXUS number in the known traveller field. I have no problems to use OLCI for US domestic flights and I do have Pre-check. I have used Pre-check for my SEA-IAH flights.

OLCI for international itineraries are hit and miss from YVR ever since UA moved to SHARES.

Cheers
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sing-along
I live in YVR and I have my NEXUS number in the known traveller field. I have no problems to use OLCI for US domestic flights and I do have Pre-check. I have used Pre-check for my SEA-IAH flights.

OLCI for international itineraries are hit and miss from YVR ever since UA moved to SHARES.

Cheers
Thanks, this is good to know. I'm actually only in FL full time from Dec-May (I'm the youngest snowbird in the state), so it's really an address of convenience more than anything - therefore the Toronto address will be very convenient come 2014....and interestingly enough I happen to be typing this post from that very location.

Obviously using a fake address is not going to pass muster for those trying to get away with that angle, but for those of us with multiple legitimate addresses (ie my drivers license address is in Hawaii, for example), on what basis do we *think* (speculate) that UA would step in and close an account while claiming the ex-US address is not legitimate if we can prove it is a legitimate address? Nothing in the T+C state we must use a 'permanent legal address' for an account (ie the address listed on our US tax return).
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: United 1.9MM
Folks with American passports listed in their profile who have a newly acquired foreign post office box address risk an audit. Expat foreigners in America should be safe if they switch to a foreign address. TSA Pre might fall by the wayside, but I somehow qualified for that even though I'm not a US citizen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.