Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
This may cause me to take a closer look at transferring my GM family members' miles into my account,if the cost of doing so is less than these change fees.

I just researched this option and it appears that UA has now added a $30.00 processing fee to mileage transfers. When did this happen?

Last edited by freeflyin; Jun 19, 2013 at 7:30 pm
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Novemurr
You know that message that the flight attendant broadcasts after the plane takes off?

"We welcome our MileagePlus members who will be earning valuable miles on today's flight."

I've always found myself scoffing in my head when they said this. Next time, I might scoff out loud.
If you think the miles aren't worth anything, no need to associate your MP number with your reservation. My guess is you'll scoff but then still take and use the miles.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin
This may cause me to take a closer look at transferring my GM family members' miles into my account,if the cost of doing so is less than these change fees.
I was just thinking about whether their would be any way to associate an elite member's account with a reservation to avoid the fees, and calculated out how much it would cost to transfer the miles. Not really worth it, since United charges $15/1000 to transfer.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Wow, this really is bad timing...I'm was planning on getting 2 LH F awards, I can get the TG F segments I need now...but if I find LH J and want to change to F if it opens, I have to pay $200...if no LH F opens and I cancel my itinerary and stick with my CX reservation, it costs me $400.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:03 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by SFore
Wow, this really is bad timing...I'm was planning on getting 2 LH F awards, I can get the TG F segments I need now...but if I find LH J and want to change to F if it opens, I have to pay $200...if no LH F opens and I cancel my itinerary and stick with my CX reservation, it costs me $400.
This is precisely why they did it. To discourage people for buying "free options" to travel and cancel if something better opens up.

In the end, this change, together with the elite qualification change, can only enhance the value of MP miles. I am all for it.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Is there a credit card that gives instant UA status?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Is there a credit card that gives instant UA status?
No.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I've been concentrating on the PQD fiasco (among a handful of other things) and didn't notice this thread.

During the second intermission of the hockey game tonight WGN news felt it was of significant interest to mention it which brought me here.

Thanks for the advanced notice UA. NOT.

We'll just need to wait until I hit 1MM to book my wife's miles.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Perhaps United would consider Family accounts, like some foreign airlines do. Then they could keep the whole family's spending in the United family and we could have the highest level of status for the whole family's travels. (I pay decent money for family trips, too. There are no 5 cpm vacations on holiday weekends when your home airport is IAH.)
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Perhaps United would consider Family accounts, like some foreign airlines do. Then they could keep the whole family's spending in the United family and we could have the highest level of status for the whole family's travels. (I pay decent money for family trips, too. There are no 5 cpm vacations on holiday weekends when your home airport is IAH.)
I don't even have a family and this sounds totally appropriate to me.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Very very disappointing news. I thought UA was a good airline for non-elites. After the war on elites they are now after us.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:31 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I would love to see this change but I can see lots of political/enforcement problems. How do you prove that someone is your spouse? Send in the marriage certificate? What happens if there is divorce? How are the points split? Lawyers involved? What about domestic partners? Or same-sex marriages recognized in some states & countries but not others? Adopted kids? I think the cost (monetary and political) of enforcing this policy would be way too high.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Just do what I'm doing (after being a 1K for a few years with UA and now - nothing). Find award availability to somewhere you want to go. Use your miles. Empty your account. Move to another airline. Stop the whining.

In my opinion, this airline has become a really bad airline in so many ways. Take control of what you want - don't give UA more $ if you're that unhappy (as so many keep posting they are). There are other airlines out there.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
This s*cks. (No, not socks.)
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:08 pm

I would be much more accepting of these changes if the fees were reciprocal -- The next time United changes my itinerary or cancels a flight due to their own schedule changes or IRROPS, I'd like $200 for that change. They may as well set up a direct deposit It's only fair - I don't want UA to use my itinerary as a placeholder for whatever flights they plan to eventually carry me on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.