Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 27, 14, 7:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: iluv2fly
Wiki Link
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 13, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flyer420 View Post
Please remember, J$ is not running an airline, he's running a business. The Wall Street Journal included the glowing example of saving $200K per year by buying split cashews rather than whole ones for the warm nuts.
Also, Delta saved $500k per year by adopting's the NW 16-slices-per-lime approach instead of the DL 10-slices-per-lime approach, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/bu...pagewanted=all , so once again UA is matching DL's trends.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Say Lufthansa is running a sale and I buy a business class ticket from Frankfurt to Los Angeles from the German carrier for $2,500. The routing is Frankfurt-Chicago-Los Angeles and back the same way and Frankfurt-Chicago-Frankfurt is operated by Lufthansa and Chicago-Los Angeles-Chicago is operated by United. Despite being Star Alliance codeshare partners and A++ joint venture partners, the price of the whole ticket would not count toward my minimum spending requirement because it would be issued on Lufthansa (220) stock rather than United (016) stock, correct? How United will prorate the cost of the Chicago-Los Angeles-Chicago (United operated) portions is a mystery to me.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Say Lufthansa is running a sale and I buy a business class ticket from Frankfurt to Los Angeles from the German carrier for $2,500. The routing is Frankfurt-Chicago-Los Angeles and back the same way and Frankfurt-Chicago-Frankfurt is operated by Lufthansa and Chicago-Los Angeles-Chicago is operated by United. Despite being Star Alliance codeshare partners and A++ joint venture partners, the price of the whole ticket would not count toward my minimum spending requirement because it would be issued on Lufthansa (220) stock rather than United (016) stock, correct? How United will prorate the cost of the Chicago-Los Angeles-Chicago (United operated) portions is a mystery to me.
I think that UA Insider said the ORD-LAX-ORD portion (UA metal) would count even if plated on LH stock. For now.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by dogloverjb View Post
I read it as I need to get the 75,000 miles, dollar spend waived, but I need to spend $25,000 on my card.

I should add that that is for 2014. After that I assume that the PDQ bar will kick in.
I don't read any spend requirement at all for the now-unavailable Presidential Plus card--not even "$25,000" in card charges. 75K PQMs and just having the card will do it for Platinum in 2014.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Given the number of non-FTers I encounter when traveling who are real road warriors yet who will be affected (and who already gripe about all the changes we've seen and about greener pastures), I think it's silly to dismiss this as an issue which the vast majority of elites aren't going to care about.
How many people could you possibly have met in the last 24 hours since this was announced to find out how they would be affected?

I just don't see how a "real road warrior" could be affected by this.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Havings been a victim of this "clawback" earlier this year, when I had every belief that I had actually earned 1K, according to UA's own calculations, I immediately thought of this scenario. Seems likely.
And, now we're dealing with dollars, not just miles. And, in all probability, we're dealing with an unpredictable claw-back of dollars you actually spent. Not like the issue is "I didn't get the bonus dollars I thought I earned" but it's more like I spent x and they told me I earned y but then they took y away and gave me z.

This is going to suck infinitely more than most other things we've dealt with.

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
Not hardly. Let's count the major benefits of premier status - excluding silver, which I will agree hardly counts.

1) Better IRROPS handling (vs. kettle: enjoy that 3 hour hold time..)
2) TSA Pre-check (I'm 100% as a PP)
3) Free Global Entry (PP and above, yes)
4) Free SDC (want to get home early as as kettle? - enjoy that fee every flight)
5) Free E+*
6) Free Bags*
7) Early Boarding*
8) Priority Check-in (shorter lines if for some reason you don't OLCI)
9) Lounge Access Int'l*
10) Upgrades every so often (see, I'm at number 10 before I even get to CPUs)

* yes I know one can pay to play for these items. But us elites get them free.

I'd say flying as an elite is hardly miserable - especially compared to flying as a kettle. Is elite status what it used to be? No. Will benefits continue to be diluted? This is the world we live in. But [B]the
1) On my last IRROPS, both myself and companion got same useless treatment. No benefit.
2) Others don't get PP?
3) Already got GE. No benefit.
4) Never used SDC in my life. Don't want to be stuck in middle seat next to lavatory. Would rather wait and keep a decent seat. No benefit.
5) Yeah, you can buy this. If you save $3,000 by flying less, you can use that $3,000 towards all the stupid fees. And, you get more life back. No benefit.
6) Ditto.
7) Ditto.
8) Huh? The Premier Line is often longer than the non-Premier Line. This is a detriment, not a benefit.
9) Ditto.
10) Oh, come on.

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Yes. In 2014, YQ is a ‘carrier-imposed surcharge’ that we currently intend to include in PQDs.
It is this kind of language that makes me certain that this is a nightmare to end all other nightmares.

How much time do we now have to spend to decompose each ticket, look at all the fare components, and figure out which ones are in and which ones are out?

How much time do we have to spend to figure out which segments are "eligible" or not. I note you say that even some UA flights are not eligible.

And, finally, you've said that you "currently intend" to include YQ. That leaves the door wide open to change your mind later. If you change your mind after a ticket was purchased, then is the flyer screwed? Will you retroactively strip away earned dollars through claw-back sweeps like has been done with miles repeatedly since the takeover?

How will anyone really know if they're hitting it or not? And how much effort will be required to determine same?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 19, 13 at 5:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by dogloverjb View Post
I read it as I need to get the 75,000 miles, dollar spend waived, but I need to spend $25,000 on my card.

I should add that that is for 2014. After that I assume that the PDQ bar will kick in.
Read it again. Copy and pasted directly from the FAQ. PQD is waived period.

How does this change affect Presidential Plus Cardmembers?

For 2014, the Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) requirement is waived for existing Presidential Plus Cardmembers for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification. For 2014, we will continue to waive the four segment minimum for Presidential Plus and MileagePlus Club Card Cardmembers as long as their card account is open and not in default at the time of qualification.

The Presidential Plus Card is no longer available to new applicants.

I bet all those people that converted are kicking themselves now. Glad I kept this card. I doubt this benefit will be extended in 2015 however.

Last edited by jlivengo; Jun 19, 13 at 5:38 pm
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6M lifetime,
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Also, Delta saved $500k per year by adopting's the NW 16-slices-per-lime approach instead of the DL 10-slices-per-lime approach, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/bu...pagewanted=all , so once again UA is matching DL's trends.
I remember the last foray down this road...

Old Jun 19, 13, 5:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Ted.. the back end of United.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 19, 13 at 6:22 pm Reason: quote not needed
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
How many people could you possibly have met in the last 24 hours since this was announced to find out how they would be affected?

I just don't see how a "real road warrior" could be affected by this.
Go back and re-read what I said. I never claimed I had met a bunch of people in the last 24 hours who are ticked about this change. I did say I have run into many people who, based on their overall attitudes about where UA is today, will be ticked.

I've run into far more grumbling about UA and talk of leaving than of people praising UA or even defending them. This grumbling isn't coming from the once-a-year vacation traveler but rather the business traveler (many of them 1Ps, 1Ks, and Plats, though I have heard GS grousing, too). That certainly shows me (anecdotally) that there is general sentiment against UA by people who travel day-in and day-out.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6M lifetime,
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Ted.. the back end of United.
^^ I spent way too much pre-status time on Ted flights out of DEN
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
You're doing it wrong. My experience in bold.

Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post

1) On my last IRROPS, both myself and companion got same useless treatment. No benefit. On my last IRROPS (weather) UA offered to 1) reroute me on an OAL 2) reroute me to a different airport; OTOH: my recent weaher IRROPs as a kettle on DL - we can get you there in 24 hours
2) Others don't get PP? plenty of golds get PreCheck
3) Already got GE. No benefit. Not to you, but I was certainlty happy to have UA pay for mine
4) Never used SDC in my life. Don't want to be stuck in middle seat next to lavatory. Would rather wait and keep a decent seat. No benefit. that's your choice, I'm glad to have the flexibility
5) Yeah, you can buy this. If you save $3,000 by flying less, you can use that $3,000 towards all the stupid fees. And, you get more life back. No benefit. I very rarely fly for the sake of flying. I fly because it's the most practicable way to get where I need to be. So I'm going to be paying $X to fly regardless.
6) Ditto. Ditto
7) Ditto. Ditto
8) Huh? The Premier Line is often longer than the non-Premier Line. This is a detriment, not a benefit. That's not the case at my most common airports
9) Ditto. Again something I get as part of status, that kettles don't
10) Oh, come on. Upgrades are not a big deal for me, sure they're nice to have, but I don't get worked up about them. YMMV

Last edited by bse118; Jun 19, 13 at 5:46 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
I think they may have just learned their lesson from poor communication early in the merger and are managing expectations.

We all have to decide what makes the most sense for us, but at least if you tell me what the options are in a timely manner I won't be mad about it.

After some mis-steps early in the merger, I think UA has been doing a pretty good job of keeping us informed of changes in a timely manner.
I agree in this instance. But that was certainly not the case with their "leading" change fee hike with zero notice a few months back. I wonder if the execs on the MP side are more keen on advance notice than the beancounters decreeing non-MP policy or operational changes.
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I think that UA Insider said the ORD-LAX-ORD portion (UA metal) would count even if plated on LH stock. For now.
Yeah, but how much? and will LH YQ count? Since UA has no YQ on domestic segment....
Old Jun 19, 13, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Go back and re-read what I said. I never claimed I had met a bunch of people in the last 24 hours who are ticked about this change. I did say I have run into many people who, based on their overall attitudes about where UA is today, will be ticked.
False. You said they would be affected. Of course, people can be "ticked" about anything. FT forums certainly prove that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: