Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
The following spending counts toward the PQD requirement:
  • Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
  • Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
  • Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
  • Economy Plus purchases
Flights "flown by" UA means flights "operated" by UA?

So LH flight #(marketed) operated by UA will count towards PQD?

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:42 pm

question to new UA Premier qualification

I booked a flight on Dec 20th 2013 to PVG and return on Jan 2nd 2014. My question is half of my flight in 2014, how does the PQD count? do it half/half??
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
Premier Plat--"Protected by the Grizzly"

So glad I've got--and kept--my Presidential Plus Card. Kept me from worrying about the four UA segments, and, now, much more importantly let's me rest assured on the spend. Just keep me in Group 1 Boarding. And thank you Papa (Grizzly) Chase, whom even Smisek knows not to tangle with!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
The following spending counts toward the PQD requirement:
  • Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
  • Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
  • Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
  • Economy Plus purchases
Flights "flown by" UA means flights "operated" by UA?

So LH flight #(marketed) operated by UA will count towards PQD?
It appears the answer is yes, although it would be good to have this confirmed by UA.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 18, 2013 at 10:41 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Assuming you have a US address (not clear), you fall into the same edge case as a few over on DL did. US based pax who often ticket exUS.

One presumes the reason for the ticket restriction is IT implementation, UA (and DL) do not have enough visibility into tickets they do not sell. That is why the except non US based members from the rule.

I would note your case is not as extreme as you make it, Since your employer decides your bookings anyway, you will still me on *A.

You might just give in and use the credit card,
Even on my Latin America POS AV-issued award tickets with a UA segment in there, I can pull up my eticket info on united.com.

Eticket info is readily accessible in these circumstances even when the ticket is issued by another carrier.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Horizons
More like 5 per flight.

I qualified for 1K strictly on mileage runs for 10 years in a row (out-of-pocket, no need to be on an airplane other than miles/status; I have never traveled for work but absolutely love spending time at 30,000 feet). It's more common than you think. Like most MRers, my goal was to keep spend under 3¢ per mile. ideally under 2. That's just become much more costly. Was I loyal to United? Absolutely, tattoo-a-UA-logo-on-my-arm kind of loyal; a real booster... until they pulled out of my city altogether.

This PQD move was not unexpected. The part I don't understand is why the mileage/segments requirement remains. What part of your loyalty does United care about besides your dollars? Wouldn't they really rather have your cash and not have to ferry you that much? If you're going to go the Southwest route, then just do it. This hybrid thingy is just for show.
Agreed. They should make it two options for Silver, Gold, and Platinum:
Silver: ($25000 in Chase CC spend AND (25000 PQM OR 30 PQS)) OR 2500 PQD
Gold: ($25000 in Chase CC spend AND (50000 PQM OR 60 PQS)) OR 5000 PQD
Platinum: ($25000 in Chase CC spend AND (75000 PQM OR 90 PQS)) OR 7500 PQD
1K: 10000 PQD

Note the parentheses to group the AND/OR statements into the correct groups.

If I spend $10k on int'l C tickets, just give me 1K status. If I'm buying C tickets, I'm probably not using the 1K status much anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
You should list the address where you consider home home.

It is NEVER worth trying to game any system. Remember that many US-based credit cards do not allow foreign addresses.
Besides, they can easily determine where you live since they know where you travel from and return to United States and United Airlines are watching you
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by star_world
No point arguing the rest since it's all speculation anyway but I think you might have accidentally included the word "praised" in my post
Well, I'm just saying because even my coworkers who aren't airline geeks have made comments such as "man, Smisek sure ain't Bethune" and "that airline is a mess!." I was quite shocked because generally they are pretty mellow, non-demanding flyers but these days, they explicitly tell our travel department not to book them on UA.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Well, I'm just saying because even my coworkers who aren't airline geeks have made comments such as "man, Smisek sure ain't Bethune" and "that airline is a mess!." I was quite shocked because generally they are pretty mellow, non-demanding flyers but these days, they explicitly tell our travel department not to book them on UA.
I've got several friends who are fairly casual flyers who used to pick UA for the FFP, but who now book ANA and LH etc.; they've decided UA is such a mess that they ought to at least enjoy the experience when traveling instead of suffering through UA.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
This is the first step for legacies to go to revenue based accumulation AND redemption. At this point it is almost guaranteed in the next couple of years. With only three majors--two of which already taking the same path, get prepared for the inevitable.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by username
Besides, they can easily determine where you live since they know where you travel from and return to United States and United Airlines are watching you
How do they know I live in the US when I am not travelling on them? I can travel on other carriers to my home outside the US.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This is the first step for legacies to go to revenue based accumulation AND redemption. At this point it is almost guaranteed in the next couple of years. With only three majors--two of which already taking the same path, get prepared for the inevitable.
At some point if they all start offering indistinguishable programs, it's remotely possible the antitrust authorities will actually pay some attention.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Is UA going to start imposing additional spend requirements for subsequent RPU and GPU milestones? I mean, if I fly a few more trips to guarantee the minimum spend (regardless of how UA calculates it), I may cross the 125k or 150k milestones. Maybe I shouldn't give UA the idea, but they could require 12.5k and 15k spend for those additional benefits.

Yes, move it now, or perhaps in a few weeks (vs. in late 2014).

Even though I have the necessary spend, I'm thinking of moving my address out of the US for MP purposes out of principle.

Just changed it....

I guess UA and DL are just putting another nail in coffins of frequent flyer programs as we know it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
So is it fair to say that the only reason for anyone to go for silver, gold, or platinum on UA is E+ seats?

Silver - you can get all the benefits except for the E+ seats by holding a cheap credit card that will cost you far less than $2,500 ($3,000 with taxes and fees). You have zero chance at getting upgrades anyway.

Gold - you can just be a FF of another star-alliance airline for lounge access and other benefits. Upgrades unlikely so no value there. It's just the E+ seats you're paying $5,000 (again more like $6,000 with taxes and fees) for.

Platinum - credit card, *A gold with another carrier and maybe you're giving up a couple CPUs a year, so that's something. But are the RPU's really that valuable for $7,500 ($8,500 with taxes)? If you built up miles through credit card sign-up bonuses couldn't you fly for free instead of paying for your leisure travel? And with the RPUs, wouldn't it be a better use of your money (since it's a gamble that they'll clear anyway) to just buy a TOD upgrade? It's as likely you'll get a good fare as the RPU clearing right? So wouldn't that be a better use of your money?

1k - 4 RPUs, 6 GPUs, some CPUs, yeah that's still pretty good. Probobly worth the $10k here.

So I'm left to conclude there's very little financial reason, unless you really want that extra leg room, to be loyal unless you're a 1k. Just kayak the best price, hold some credit cards or get status on some foreign carrier. Then save your money for TOD upgrades.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by J.Edward
...or they just fly even more on cheap fares to hit the $10k threshold for 1K (assuming they can't spend $25k on a Chase card and settle for Plat or "reside" outside the US).

FWIW $10k is not an issue for me as I can hit that flying my usual smattering of cheap, sub $0.04 EQM fares.
The number of people who can "double down" (or triple, really) and increase their spend and time on a plane to make up for this change will be a very, very small subset of the cheap 1Ks. And don't forget that it is only UA/CM metal or 016 stock so cheapo partner fares are excluded.

There will be a thinning of the ranks, particularly at the 1K level. Sucks for many people, good for others. Such is the way things happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.