Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 27, 14, 7:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: iluv2fly
Wiki Link
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 18, 13, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
I'm not sure I understand what in included in the waiver for people with over seas addresses. They say APO, FPO, and DPO addresses are exempt but those are all Military or Diplomatic. What about those of us that just live overseas. I live in Italy and have a normal Italian address which doesn't have anything to do with APO, FPO, or DPO.
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I have a question.....

My company pays for a coach fare.... Then I go in after it is ticketed and upgrade myself using my own $. Does that additional $$ count? Technically my fare class changes so it should count, shouldnt it?
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Dougie won't pass this up.

I wonder if this will be the end of mileage runs?
Not likely. Whether with manufactured spend qualification path for elite status and/or with the pursuit of award travel redemption values, this alone doesn't really end all value of MRs. It does reduce the incentive for MRs for elite status by those who know they won't be at the marginal threshold of EQD amounts otherwise.

For (MR or non-MR) leisure travel customers -- most business travelers are also leisure travelers too -- this kind of move may somewhat more discourage marginal increases in "loyalty" on leisure trip than it encourages. It won't eliminate MRing.

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
My guess is, they will be very tough with people 'moving'

From Delta MQD:
Residency: Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the member’s SkyMiles account at the time of qualification for Medallion status. Documentation may be required for some types of address changes. Please see the SkyMiles Membership Guide for more information and a list of acceptable documentation. Delta reserves the right to audit an account at any time for residency requirements, request further supporting documentation and update the address for any member's SkyMiles account using the National Change of Address (NCOA) data filed by relocating postal customers, but shall have no obligation to do so. Accounts found in violation are subject to penalty, up to and including termination of Medallion status and closure of the SkyMiles account.
Hopefully someone in a position of authority with regard to antitrust/competition enforcement will consider what DL has done in this transition to be an example of unlawful signaling to competitors to create an unlawful collusive outcome.

DL too may have a hard time enforcing the above provision, at least with regard to minors who are citizens of more than one country.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 13 at 8:46 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I would encourage UA to use this opportunity to roll out some improvement in elite recognition, a la DL, to coincide with the spend requirement. If this airline wants to goose revenue per traveler, at least make the experience something we feel good about spending money on.
You didn't hear? We're (ok, GS/1K only) getting yellow handle wrappers so our bags come off first on RJs. That's definitely worth $10K.
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:50 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I would encourage UA to use this opportunity to roll out some improvement in elite recognition, a la DL, to coincide with the spend requirement. If this airline wants to goose revenue per traveler, at least make the experience something we feel good about spending money on.
I flew DL last week. IAH-ATL vs taking UA and was in F. The service was great and I was treated like when I was GS at UA or flying ORD-HKG when the Capt came down and passed out cards and chatted with the F/C cabin.

I would status match over to DL, but out of IAH (a lot these days), its a tough commute to ATL vs. DFW to fly on AA.
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by villox View Post

If you are exclusively a leisure traveler who is only getting the absolute rock bottom fares every single time, sure, maybe you won't be elite, but then maybe you don't deserve to be.
Likewise, if one's work spends $20k, but you only fly 10000 between ORD and whatever, you dont deserve to be elite, I am glad they at least kept the mileage requirements alongside spend.
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:58 am

so how will it work for companies who purchase tickets for their employees are those dollars associated with the flyer's name like miles.
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Not likely. Whether with manufactured spend qualification path for elite status and/or with the pursuit of award travel redemption values, this alone doesn't really end all value of MRs. It does reduce the incentive for MRs for elite status by those who know they won't be at the marginal threshold of EQD amounts otherwise.

For (MR or non-MR) leisure travel customers -- most business travelers are also leisure travelers too -- this kind of move may somewhat more discourage marginal increases in "loyalty" on leisure trip than it encourages. It won't eliminate MRing.
Good points! I will still hop on an international glitch fare or do some MR'ing next year if schedule/time warrants but it does make it a much more calculated effort/risk as spend will now be the determining factor on UA for me personally as I'm evenly split 50/50% biz to pleasure. My company buys the cheapest fares. Short term AA could make sense but they will follow as well. Match to TK for two years while you can and get *G status
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kilbane3441 View Post
so how will it work for companies who purchase tickets for their employees are those dollars associated with the flyer's name like miles.
Yes, it's confirmed in the FAQ:

Just as with Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS), we will credit the account of the member who travels, not the member who purchases the ticket.
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Might be a dumb question but the wording is confusing me. Right now, I'm 1K and on my way to getting 1K for 2014 based on PQM. Do I need to spend $10,000 in 2013 to get 1K in 2014 (the waiver language is throwing me)? Also, is the money credited to the year in which the flight is flown or purchased? (i.e. I buy a flight for January 2014 now, does that count for 2015 qualification?).
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
While I certainly understand why UA is doing this, it's also very disappointing for the leisure traveler who may spend $6-9K per year for 1K. Seems like COdbaUA only cares about money these days.. What happened to customer loyalty?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
You didn't hear? We're (ok, GS/1K only) getting yellow handle wrappers so our bags come off first on RJs. That's definitely worth $10K.
Don't forget the Jeff McMuffin and the Taco Bell burrito..

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I agree with you completely on this. I have no issue with them thinning the ranks at the top, I think pretty much anyone flying for purely business that gets 1K is going to achieve $10k spend. MRs can still be useful if needing to top off from one level to another (aka you have the spend but not the miles).

However if they are going to thin the ranks it would be nice for them to recognize the fact that those at the top are spending $7.5+ and $10+ and give them elite recognition that matches that spend, instead of simply selling all the elite services to the highest bidder (I haven't done the math yet but I'm guessing for example the year E+ subscription is suddenly much more appealing to those that fly enough miles to get gold / silver but won't necessarily have the spend).

Hmmm, as a mostly leisure traveler who has held on to a MP Select card for the PQMs, which can just put me over the Silver level, this may be enough to get me to cancel. Not really sure that those PQMs will ever be very likely to matter anymore.
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Likewise, if one's work spends $20k, but you only fly 10000 between ORD and whatever, you dont deserve to be elite, I am glad they at least kept the mileage requirements alongside spend.
That customer drives more top and bottom line revenue than a 1K that spends $10k. To UA, they are the better customer - especially if they do it year in and year out.
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:04 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing some upcoming changes to our Premier qualification requirements for 2014. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ at

what I would love to see is on preview or somewhere - a preliminary PQD number for current/last year - so those of us who havent tracked it can understand how much spend we did.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: