Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by ChicagoUnited
What's the big fuss? How many people are flying 100k miles and not spending $10k on them?
Image you fly say 48,000 miles on UA metal as 24 round trips, 48 segments, with each flight averaging 1,000 miles domestically at a cost (less taxes) of say $350 each. (flying 4 segments per month on UA metal). This gets you to $8400 at a fairly costly 17.5 CPM.

Imagine you also fly 4 international RT's on non UA * Alliance carriers in J (one per quarter). Say average BIS miles is 10K so PQM is 15K each.

In this case you have someone who pays a high CPM on UA (and likely an even higher CPM on other * Alliance carriers) who has 108K PQM, but does not get 1K This example is hardly extreme example.

In this example this hypothetical customer would have to:
A) Live with Platinum on UA (Customer loses)
B) Swap 1 international J flight to UA to hit 10K spend (UA wins, slight negative for flyer)
C) Leave UA (and possibly *A). (UA loses).

UA is betting more people will choose B than C, and that the general bad press of "things getting worse" will not impact customers other than the ones targeted. Only time will tell.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Would this mean that all of the flights that I booked on US Airway's website and flown on US Airways [and its dbas] would not count toward the PDQ requirement but would contribute to the PQM/PQS requirement?
That is a correct interpretation. Partner flights need to be United-issued (the frequent references to 016 ticket stock).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Atuchan
This makes flying with star partner completely useless..
I fly a lot with partner airlines for business but paying my own pockets for most UA flights.
It will be incredibly hard to requalify for 1k in 2015....
This has been the trend with DL's MQD as well.

On top of that, DL has devalued their Skyteam alliance earning; I suspect it has something to do with how they are structuring it so it can all funnel to DL.

This will be the next thing UA does as well in all likelihood.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My thoughts:

1 - good for people who can make it, bad for people who can't
2 - harder to get should mean better treatment of elites. Now there is a $ on our head, does that mean we can also demand more entitlements?
3 - at least the awards are not revenue based like WN
4 - so, it seems if codeshares that are operated by UA count - that is not bad but I wonder how they calculate the revenue - how do they determine what portion of the fare counts toward PQD?
5 - so, 1K = 100,000 miles or $10,000 but still nothing 1,000 about it
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, MP 1K, Global entry.
Thumbs down

just to speak out, i am not a mileage runner, i work 28 & 28 in the middle east, and this change will take me from 1K to no status purely because my employer likes to ticket through lufthansa. i fly as much united iron as possible usually going domestic and TATL on UA. UA does not serve the country i work in.

i guess i was over entitled,

no more mileage bonus,
no more international lounge access,
no cpu
no rpu,
no gpu,

why [Moderator edit] would i ever book another flight on united after this?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm Reason: Per FT Rules - language.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by Biginch
just to speak out, i am not a mileage runner, i work 28 & 28 in the middle east, and this change will take me from 1K to no status purely because my employer likes to ticket through lufthansa. i fly as much united iron as possible usually going domestic and TATL on UA. UA does not serve the country i work in.

i guess i was over entitled,

no more mileage bonus,
no more international lounge access,
no cpu
no rpu,
no gpu,

why [Moderator edit] would i ever book another flight on united after this?
Read the formal notice, this change is only for people in the United States. Presumably to protect people in your situation.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm Reason: conforming edit to original quote.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
I just don't get why people who call UA service "substandard", a. keep flying them and b. scream if their privileges in that "substandard" airline go away when they fly other airlines.
Check the financials - many of these people (myself included) have greatly curtailed their UA flying; some entirely. There's a reason why the financials don't show the return of HVFs.

That simple. You get privileges for the metal you fly.
So - you advocate the eventual demise of Star Alliance then? Because that's what will happen then if what you propose comes to fruitition.

Originally Posted by exerda
Interesting inflation from when UA originally floated this notion (when 1K was $8k in spend requirement). Yet another point reinforcing that UA just pulled their new numbers out of a hat vs. tying them to any underlying financials.
Nope - they pulled them out of Delta's hat

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, MM
I think the main effect of these changes will be in the numbers of 1Ks as the CC spending does not count (interestingly Delta does not have this restriction).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Reading between the lines, I strongly suspect UA's intent is to do the opposite of DL with regards to *A, but they don't have a technical solution for it yet that they're happy with. The 016 ticket restriction is, on the face of it, an odd one - it benefits the regional *A partners in many cases while penalizing the global ones (including the JV partners).

I suspect that the only reliable way UA has of counting revenue at the moment is through flights booked on its own ticket stock - the other links between the *A airlines are for award ticket booking and FFP mileage credit, neither of which include the transfer of revenue information.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 016 limitation is removed in the future, perhaps with some reduction factor for *A dollars - e.g., each dollar spent on a partner counts for $0.50. Otherwise it would have made sense for UA to remove *A flights from the count altogether.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Has anyone thought about the possibility that this is another trick by United? Smisek and his D+ management team know that UA has become the worst of the worst out there, so by following DL--an airline that previously failed miserably at changing its Medallion program, UA can easily manipulate things later to try to make us believe that UA is doing us a favor and not changing any of its major problems.

Here's the scenario:

DL's revenue-based component backfires and once again DL backtracks faster than a zebra trying to learn how to fly seconds away from being eaten by a crocodile.

Then, UA does not apologize and instead claims that they had opted to follow "industry trends," but that the airline is deeply concerned about its loyal flyers and will eliminate the revenue-based component. This way, UA makes us believe it is doing us a favor and we have no reason to cry over its pathetic inflight product, customer service (yes, clipping nails style!), and IT glitches, and thereby changing absolutely nothing except that in UA's minds, the airline gave us bloody noses and we will think twice about complaining again.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nope - they pulled them out of Delta's hat
Well considering the number of underachievers that UA hires every year out of Embry-Riddle, we shouldn't be surprised. I once had the displeasure of sitting next to a Senior Analyst from UA on a DEN-IAH flight who didn't know that the former CO had a fleet of 757-300s. If their employees don't know something so basic, you really think they'd be able to perform in-depth financial analysis? Not if their lives depended on it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 2013 at 7:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1M
The most difficult part of this for me is the requirement to buy 016 United tickets to get PQDs. You may have noticed that UA often does not code share flights on Star Alliance partners when there are possible ways to make the same trip on United. For example, Air New Zealand's nonstop San Francisco to Auckland is not a United code share. They want you to go through Sidney on United metal instead, even though it is much longer and much more expensive (several thousand dollars for business class on a date in February 2014, for example). Ditto Air Canada's non-stop Vancouver to Peking flight. And then there are the places where a Star Alliance partner offers a flight, United does not go there at all, yet United refuses to code share, e.g., Frankfurt to Bangalore on Lufthansa. Basically the new rules take away elite qualification as a benefit from these sorts of Star Alliance flights. Unless someone can tell me that a call to my friendly United telephone agent will get me an 016 ticket on the Air New Zealand non-stop San Francisco to Auckland (and at what price)?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by fly747first
Has anyone thought about the possibility that this is another trick by United? Smisek and his D+ management team know that UA has become the worst of the worst out there, so by following DL--an airline that previously failed miserably at changing its Medallion program, UA can easily manipulate things later to try to make us believe that UA is doing us a favor and not changing any of its major problems.
I doubt it. I think these are designed to be incremental changes. If everything changed overnight, people would actually be following through with their abandon ship talk. Incrementally people will grumble but most won't revolt.

In this case however, there are actual repercussions to how people behave. For instance, will the loss of mileage runners offset people that select higher fares? Will UA lose out on people that normally purchased PQM from the premier accelerator?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
As one of those "over entitled" UA FF and I saw this coming. I have flown nealry 3mm on United and fly enough to make sure I'll be 1k, even with this new plan. I just want to know when will the customer service now start to improve. You are making me spend more, shouldn't UA be required to take better care of me? Oh I know, there I go again, dragging customer service into the mix.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 pm

Angry Bean counters, rejoice!

Well, they've done it again! I am sure Jeff and his crew are toasting with champagne... Now their revenue will surely increase - and United's losses shall be erased!

I guess there were just too many of us Elites upgrading... such as on my FLL->SFO flight a few weeks ago, where First was sold out a full 2 weeks before departure. How dare we!!!

Agh, all those fancy things wasted on cheap-city elites (such as those living in DEN or So Fla) will now be reserved for the suckers who live in the fortress hubs (EWR/SFO...) or the screw-the-daylights-out-of-you overpriced small airports. Cheers!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first

Here's the scenario:

DL's revenue-based component backfires and once again DL backtracks faster than a zebra trying to learn how to fly seconds away from being eaten by a crocodile.

Then, UA does not apologize and instead claims that they had opted to follow "industry trends," but that the airline is deeply concerned about its loyal flyers and will eliminate the revenue-based component. This way, UA makes us believe it is doing us a favor and we have no reason to cry over its pathetic inflight product, customer service (yes, clipping nails style!), and IT glitches, and thereby changing absolutely nothing except that in UA's minds, the airline gave us bloody noses and we will think twice about complaining again.
Personally I think there's zero chance of this. They know exactly how many pax this will affect, how many are close to the thresholds, etc. After running those numbers they know which pax they are (intentionally) getting rid of, and are obviously comfortable with that decision.

The negative (comedically negative, sometimes - D+ ??? ) view of UA management is primarily a creation of the FT feedback loop - you'd be hard pressed to find a sizable group that concurs outside of here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.