Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You forgot tired lounges with worn/torn furniture that are amazingly als full!
You forgot the varmits
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
And if that is the case, the glory of FT will come to an end. There will be virtually no reason for this forum to exist.
I wonder if there will be a Mileage Run Deals forum after 2014
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by travelsavant
Might be time to start a thread for easy/painless ways to up one's CC spend to meet the $25k threshold!
I almst forgot ... we have an entire forum here for manufactured spending
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Am I missing something here???? For people who are US based, these changes will come into effect, but for everyone else based outside of the US life will carry on as normal??

Now if that is true (as I could be very wrong here) but does that sound like a form of discrimination???
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Miles are next on the block, for sure. You hear Smisek say how much he admires DL. Surely one of the things he admires is how they can charge 350k SkyPesos for a flight to Europe and not face mobs with torches. Soon the MP currency will have similar value.
I'm not so sure a SkyPesos level devaluation will happen.

UA's lucrative relationship with Chase is based on the premise that the miles Chase doles out to it it's customers (Chase's customers, not UA's) have value. Devalue those miles to the point where they are useless and UA risks it's relationship with one of it's most valuable customers (Chase).

Sure miles will be devalued. That always happens - but I think that in some ways the Chase relationship is a mitigating factor, and we have some hope of not stooping to DL levels.

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Is the new reality that flying is nameless and tasteless and we FTers are wearing blinders, holding onto relics of the past named "rewards for customer loyalty?" My apologies, I did not mean to get so philosophical. I am alarmed that Southwest Airlines might have become a part of my vocabulary...
The mistake people make is believing that loyalty to the airline means the airline is loyal in return...

Last edited by bse118; Jun 18, 2013 at 4:49 pm Reason: typos

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Am I missing something here???? For people who are US based, these changes will come into effect, but for everyone else based outside of the US life will carry on as normal??

Now if that is true (as I could be very wrong here) but does that sound like a form of discrimination???
UA isn't doing anything wrong legally. It's illegal to discriminate by race, gender, religion, ethnic origin, etc. It is not illegal to discriminate based on the region somebody lives unless the intent of it is to discriminate based on race, gender, religion, ethnic origin, etc.

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

It's probably because SHARES can't handle currency conversion
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It seems like very poor planning to announce this downgrade without giving us something we might want to aspire to!
If there was a great pot of gold at the end of the 10K spend rainbow and it was worth the spend, then United would be better off in the PR department.
Does anyone there even think about such things?? or better yet, give a hoot??

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bse118
The mistake people make is believing that loyalty to the airline means the airline is loyal in return...
Well said, and I have been know to resemble that remark - more often than I care to admit.

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I wonder if there will be a Mileage Run Deals forum after 2014
It'll be replaced with the forum "I have XX miles but still didn't qualify for X elite status". I can't wait to see the first folks with 100K+ not qualifying for 1k.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by persyus
You only want business travelers? I hope those newly empty seats generate a lot of $$$.
Wrong. They hate business travelers. The first thing they did two years ago was to fire us by refusing to upgrade us an instead selling TODs to kettles with no status. One of my first "welcome to CO" experiences was a trip with a companion - my UG offer was $1,400 and hers was $149, she had no status, I was 1K coming off of GS.

Originally Posted by travelsavant
Might be time to start a thread for easy/painless ways to up one's CC spend to meet the $25k threshold!
I've got the solution! I have a vacation rental property in a lovely location. I'll rent a week to anyone here for only $25,000. One transaction. Meet the spend requirement. And, you get a holiday too. If it takes off, I'll buy some more properties to serve everyone.

That is true but I guess they figure people overseas have so many choices that they can't screw them as much as they can screw us.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What about someone who flies a $6,000 TPAC NH ticket/metal flight? UA gets half that revenue, but the flyer doesn't get any credit to UA PQDs. Should that flyer be thankful too?
The flyer gets full PQD credit when they buy an NH TPAC on a UA-issued 016 ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I do like this a lot. With today's math, someone can do six mileage runs a year, volunteer off some of those legs and re-up, get a few weekend flights with the certs and be 1K. Thankfully no more. The ones of us who are segment warriors (74 already this year) would super appreciate this move. It is totally reasonable (it translates to the equivalent of spending $333 a trip of 4 segments, which is much under the "normal" non-mileage run average cost of a flight.)
I don't see how any frequent UA flier would hate this...

I just wish that UA counted only spending on UA metal for these levels and not spending on *A partners, to eliminate those who get UA status for flying exclusively partners in TPAC and TATL flights and get a few UA connections domestically for the minimum 4 segments.

Hopefully next year

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Anyone see the BoardingArea blog where this was rumored a few years back?

The PQD amounts were lower, initially 100K plus $8,000 in spending to achieve 1K status.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...flyer-program/

**Update** Old FlyerTalk thread here if you want to reminisce.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-scheme.html

Last edited by jlivengo; Jun 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, DL, AA, SK, AC, NH, Starwood, Choice, Hilton
Bye, United.
Now I'll do my best to spend my remaining 1.2M UA miles on partner premier cabin award flights....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.