Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by u600213
I expected something like this after last weeks WSJ Interview with SMI J's admiration of DL but I don't like the email I received from UA announcing this enhancement.. The email referred to my being a lifetine Premier member. Last time I checked I was a lifetime Premier Executive and current 1K. I hope this is just a badly worded communication and not another announcement of devaluation of MM status
At least you get the emails... as a 10 year 1k,MM becoming 2MM, they don't even send me the generic Premiere emails....
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by limey1K
You got an email??? Not me.

I actually found out about the changes on FT
Same here. I haven't received a single non-spam mass e-mail from UA since the "we're putting out the integration fires" note from mid-2012.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mre5765
If cash spent toward Premier Accelerator PQMs does not count toward PQDs, then the such PQMs (in absence of an enhancement, see below) are all but useless for elites subject to the PQD requirement.

What would not surprise me is UA adding a PQD Accelerator product to reservations. One would then be prompted to buy additional RDMs, and then PQMs, and then PQDs.
My understanding is that the money spent to buy PQM miles will not be applied to the PQD spend requirement. Upthread I wondered why anyone would then buy PQM's, but another FT'er noted that the ability to purchase PQMs would be valuable for those that reached the spend requirement but not the mileage requirement. I'm still trying to figure out how many people fit in that category, and why.

Originally Posted by JetAway
I seriously doubt that a huge number of UA customers will move to Canada simply for UA FF benefits. In fact, I would be surprised if more that 6 do so. Although I'm sure Revenue Canada would welcome a sudden "huge" influx.
MsHalls120 and I are considering buying a vacation home, and one of them is in Nova Scotia. Looks like there's one more reason to consider the maritimes!
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are those who do 1-3 business or first class long-haul trips who would hit the PQD/EQD thresholds easily but not the related status mile thresholds.

Originally Posted by leonidas
Yeah AA+US is looking pretty good after this. Quality of elite status going down, and qualification difficulty going up....nice. And all that in the face of stiffer competition from AA+US and a really strong Oneworld. I am going to the dAArkside next year.
Two down, third to go down too.

With the elimination of elite status soft-landings, AA is getting in line with the signal sent by DL and taken by UA already.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jlivengo
Yeah, glad I kept mine. Also in Hawaii (OGG). On the bright side, fares are so expensive to the mainland it should be pretty easy to meet the 10K PQD for 1K. Especially since I book mostly last minute travel. Same with TPAC flights. Usually 2K+ a pop.

All in all, sucks having to worry about another metric but I shouldn't be impacted for at least 2 or 3 more years.
Have you considered buying r/t's to New York and tacking on the mainland-last-leg travel? In recent times, it's been a mileage run fare, with no (!!!) advance purchase requirement.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by u600213
I expected something like this after last weeks WSJ Interview with SMI J's admiration of DL but I don't like the email I received from UA announcing this enhancement.. The email referred to my being a lifetine Premier member. Last time I checked I was a lifetime Premier Executive and current 1K. I hope this is just a badly worded communication and not another announcement of devaluation of MM status
The devaluation occurred long ago. Premier is the all purpose term UA uses for anyone with elite status.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, this just speeds up my plan to ditch UA and burn miles. I had planned to wait until I got 1MM miles, but now I'll buy the cheapest flights.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by daisyatl
I managed to get through 31 pages and am still confused. So if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. I actually have moved out of the country but plan to continue to use my US credit cards to make purchases. The billing address is at my Mom's and one CC I sometimes use is also a shared card with my Mom (yes, I am a grown up with a shared account with her Mom ) and we will live in different countries. There are two things that I have read that confuse me: (1) I guess my address associated with my primary CC won't match my real address so that may be an issue and I will no longer be able to buy tickets with my US CC? (2) I may not get some bonuses because I live outside the US?

Again, any help would be great. Thanks in advance...
Just change the address in your Mileage Plus account to your non-US address and yu'll be fine. Yes, you may not get some bonuses. The truth is that there have been VERY few of these bonuses of late. The one promo that was around was for non-US members who got 500 miles for on-line checkin far longer than US members.

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
For business travelers, this should be a net positive. Less 1Ks and better upgrade odds, especially for use of GPUs.

$10k in flights is piece of cake for biz traveler.....even those like me who are stuck flying on discounted tickets and never full-Y or J.

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I am not to sure AA/US will go along with this. Atleast not right away. In fact, they have a lot more to gain by waiting it out.

Their true combined single elite program probably won't go into effect until 2015 anyway, and they stand to gain a lot of customers.

AA has not yet insisted on giving free upgrades to low tier elites like everyone else has -- nor have they diluted the upgrades for EXPs.

So there's light at the end of the tunnel in that regard, for now. Maybe AA will be the "loyalty first" airline. They're making a profit, after all, unlike some carriers.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Works for me, hopefully will thin the bloated 1K ranks. Though I suspect there are not too many 1Ks who do not spend $10k/yr on tickets (yes I see the exception posted above, but FTers generally are not "average" in anything! )

The only real fear on my part would be exclusion of $$$ spent on non-UA ticket stock. I don't really track how many of my LH and *A flights use 016 (due to connections from UA) v. how many are 100% on UA. Certainly more incentive to stick to UA metal (like the last "enhancement") - I guess that's needed when your C/F product is inferior to some of your partners.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I am a Million Miler (and have been for years). I got an email announcing the PQD change, but it says:

As you are a valued lifetime MileagePlus® Premier® member, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes to our Premier qualification requirements. These program changes will not affect any lifetime Premier status. However, if on an annual basis, you qualify for a higher status level than your lifetime status, these qualification requirements will apply. These changes apply to 2014 qualifying activity for status through 2015 and do not affect your 2013 qualifying activity for 2014 status.

So, am I still lifetime Gold - unless I try for higher status?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I am a Million Miler (and have been for years). I got an email announcing the PQD change, but it says:

As you are a valued lifetime MileagePlus® Premier® member, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes to our Premier qualification requirements. These program changes will not affect any lifetime Premier status. However, if on an annual basis, you qualify for a higher status level than your lifetime status, these qualification requirements will apply. These changes apply to 2014 qualifying activity for status through 2015 and do not affect your 2013 qualifying activity for 2014 status.

So, am I still lifetime Gold - unless I try for higher status?
Yes. You will always be lifetime Gold.
But lets say you wanted one year to hit Plat - that will be 75K EQM and $7.5K
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Basically, the new program rules should result in a better experience for remaining 1Ks - more upgrades, less competition for award R space, etc. the remaining 1Ks will get better flying benefits as a reward for flying, not cc spending. I'm fine with that, especially if they move Plats to BG2.
I sure hope so, but doubt it. Also, never understood why plats and 1ks are lumped in the same group now, except possibly for the true differentiator from GS, which is revenue. Now that 1k will supposedly more revenue based than plat, CO needs to do more to separate and distant 1k from plat like pmUA.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Have you considered buying r/t's to New York and tacking on the mainland-last-leg travel? In recent times, it's been a mileage run fare, with no (!!!) advance purchase requirement.
No, like to get somewhere the fastest possible route. Also, guaranteed CPU when traveling to/from OGG. Most pax are vacationers. If I have a GPU left over I will pull the HNL/EWR route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.