Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Any thinking how UA might police the "48 states, Alaska, and Hawaii" thing? I'm sure they'll do something to prevent us all from registering with a foreign friend of choice just to get around this.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by fjfv19
Well, I never get CPUs, my GPUs never clear, so I'm already basically Platinum anyway. However, it is days like today that I'm proud to be a (son of a family with a) Canadian (address).
Prediction 2:

Before March 25, 2015, we will see a thread that has several hundred posts from MP members whose status was summarily stripped from them, retroactively, and miles confiscated, because CO ran a sweep and identified all accounts that switched addresses from US to non-US and that qualified on miles but not dollars and whose flights primarily originated in the US.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:19 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Any thinking how UA might police the "48 states, Alaska, and Hawaii" thing? I'm sure they'll do something to prevent us all from registering with a foreign friend of choice just to get around this.

When your flown cities clearly don't match your overseas address, I think UA can start to figure that out.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:20 pm

I think its hilarious all the people claiming they spend 10s of 1000s of $$$ in business fares and how they fly all these miles anyway. Well, great for you...but my question is...what do you care about status for anyway when you are buying all these full fare flex business and first fares anyway? A few more miles? Change fees on fully refundable tickets?

Also amusing are the thinly veiled insecurities...If everyone is elite, no one is! And my company pays for me to fly upfront so I can be special! They better call me by name and thank me when I fly and fall to their knees because I am super special DYKWIA man!"

Get over yourselves.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just like many other things in life, it seems like most "elites" here want to blame their problems on some sort of exaggerated villan, in this case the FT maximizer/gamer. I think instead you should be really concerned about how your airline is the next domino to fall after DL (the horror) and that management thinks they can grow profits by racing to the bottom in tandem with a shrinking set of competitors.

Remember that your "loyalty" means absolutely nothing and that, if airlines could have their way, virtually everything beneficial a consumer gets out of FFPs would be axed immediately and a rebate program would be the replacement. If this pattern we are seeing with elite status qualification continues with other major devaluations coming out of the mad scientist lab at Delta, we are in for a pretty bleak future here at FT.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Prediction 2:

Before March 25, 2015, we will see a thread that has several hundred posts from MP members whose status was summarily stripped from them, retroactively, and miles confiscated, because CO ran a sweep and identified all accounts that switched addresses from US to non-US and that qualified on miles but not dollars and whose flights primarily originated in the US.
+1. That's exactly what UA will do and there will be no way to appeal on getting the confiscated miles back other than a frivolous lawsuit.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
what I wonder is what it takes to be Canadian as far as UA is concerned. Would changing my address to my cousins house in Canada (or the UK) suffice?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
Friends, one more thing. You should remember that here, this is an extremely one-sided debate/reaction. The people who benefit from this change aren't spending hours a day on Flyertalk and worrying about whether they'll qualify. *That* is who UA is looking out for.
In other words, the folks who don't use any of the benefits that require a level of effort to apply. Remember the thread about the uber-1K who didn't even know about GPUs and turned out to be letting dozens of them a year expire? UA loves customers like that. Whether leisure flyer or HVF, the less informed or empowered they are, the better.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

This thread is growing faster than I can read it...

People why try to game the system are more likely to sign up for FT, that's why you see so many of them here. But across the entire UA customer base, the percentage is very small. About the only difference we'll see is that, on a typical flight, a typical Silver will advance from #19 on the upgrade list to #18. Any extra F seats that open up will simply be sold for additional revenue. For the vast majority who already spend 10 cpm this is pretty much a non-event.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duffman
what I wonder is what it takes to be Canadian as far as UA is concerned. Would changing my address to my cousins house in Canada (or the UK) suffice?
It could but then you'd have to change your address for your UA credit cards (if you have any) as well which could complicate things.

Additionally, that might open the door for some audits and a more defined definition of what residency means in UA terms. If your "address" is in the UK or Canada but all your travel is within the US, might be hard to justify the change of address unless you have a UK/Canadian passport for example.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by antonius66
I think its hilarious all the people claiming they spend 10s of 1000s of $$$ in business fares and how they fly all these miles anyway. Well, great for you...but my question is...what do you care about status for anyway when you are buying all these full fare flex business and first fares anyway? A few more miles? Change fees on fully refundable tickets?

Also amusing are the thinly veiled insecurities...If everyone is elite, no one is! And my company pays for me to fly upfront so I can be special! They better call me by name and thank me when I fly and fall to their knees because I am super special DYKWIA man!"

Get over yourselves.
I think many of these "insecurities" are about the unknown/confusion about the spend requirement. Most of the 1K who spend $10,000+ are likely to be traveling in Y/C/F on multiple carriers around the world ticketed via UA and/or other *A ticket stock. So for UA to say the PQD only applies to 016 ticket stock doesn't make sense for elites who buy and fly on other carriers. UA is not going to be able to sell a 016 ticket for a LHR-FRA-BOM fare or a ICN-SIN-PER fare.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mdspadeccom
So the big unknown so far is whether the purchase of Award Accelerator Miles will count as PQDs or not. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this yet?
If cash spent toward Premier Accelerator PQMs does not count toward PQDs, then the such PQMs (in absence of an enhancement, see below) are all but useless for elites subject to the PQD requirement.

What would not surprise me is UA adding a PQD Accelerator product to reservations. One would then be prompted to buy additional RDMs, and then PQMs, and then PQDs.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I think many of these "insecurities" are about the unknown/confusion about the spend requirement. Most of the 1K who spend $10,000+ are likely to be traveling in Y/C/F on multiple carriers around the world ticketed via UA and/or other *A ticket stock. So for UA to say the PQD only applies to 016 ticket stock doesn't make sense for elites who buy and fly on other carriers. UA is not going to be able to sell a 016 ticket for a LHR-FRA-BOM fare or a ICN-SIN-PER fare.
The airlines in *A have been proceeding with breaking the terms of the alliance for quite a while now. It has been reduced to a vehicle for redeeming economy class awards and a couple free checked bags.

In essence, UA is saying to:
- elites: fly our metal to re-qualify. Once you re-qualiy, you can enjoy benefits on other *A carriers (e.g. earning additional RPUs and GPUs)
- *A partners: join M+ like Copa did or die. It is brilliant. UA can control foreign carriers without buying them.

Last edited by mre5765; Jun 18, 2013 at 2:52 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
For THIS YEAR; I'm at $6400 or so on 016 issued tickets, I'm on another $3900 USD on other * Carrier issued tickets where UA segments were also present. I likely have another 6K on united ONLY and another 5-6 possibly on other carriers (Star and non stor) but how my TA tickets if another carrier is on the ticket will be a mystery - meaning that remaining 6K USD in revenue may be NOT on 016 ticket stock.

Folks saying "hard to believe 100K can't do 10K USD"... it's pretty fricking easy for a biz traveller to do this if they have mixed Star tickets. Even if I just have ONE segment on a Star carrier our TA cannot get UA to issue tickets on all routes properly, so example LAX-HND but then 4 more segments in UA Intra-Asia then back to LAX on UA = our TA issuing the ticket on ANA ticket stock.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Prediction 2:

I have legal residence rights on no less than four continents and in more countries than that while remaining only a US citizen; originating half of my trips or a bit more in the US, even as I spend more time outside of the US than in the US and am most likely to get timely mail examined at my European and Asian addresses than in the US. Why should I be required to use an inconvenient address? What if no longer owning or leasing any residential real estate in my own personal name in the US? There really is no pretty way to do this, especially given DL's tendency to feed so much passenger data to intelligence and law enforcement agencies even in the absence of an identified individual airline customer being subjected to a court-ordered warrant.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
What they include is basically arbitrary, as are the specific limits. If you want $10K in revenue, just make it a $11K (or whatever the average would make it) limit and include taxes. It's not like people are going to "game the system" and intentionally buy fares that send more money to the governments rather than UA.

Including taxes would result in a lot less confusion and complaining.
Agreed. A lot easier to implement and a lot easier to track.....for both the company and the customer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.