Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
...as they are with the split award chart
What did I miss now?!

Wait..Found. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t-02-01-14.pdf

So it costs less miles to redeem on *A partner?

Last edited by DCEsquire; Dec 25, 2013 at 10:40 am Reason: Found link.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:37 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
What did I miss now?!
The big devaluation of miles on partner airlines starting Feb 1 IIRC
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by golfingboy
So, yes on a vacation trip, I will be sleeping in the airport before flying down to SFO to meet my parents and fly together to SUN. This kind of tactic on my part is most likely going to be the reason I won't meet the PQD requirement for 1K...But I guess there are better things in life to spend my energy on than airline elite status.
Yet you consider a night in an airport to save a measly 200 bucks is one of those better ways to spend your life?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What did I miss now?!

Are you kidding? UA increased redemption rates on *A carriers by up to 80+%. Read the wiki here.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What did I miss now?!

I wish.. Costs way more to redeem for *A partners- especially F awards.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you kidding? UA increased redemption rates on *A carriers by up to 80+%. Read the wiki here.
Ugh. Thanks for the link. Now I have something to read while I drink...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You are not the only one. I am the same, I find myself sleeping in airports a few times a year to save a couple hundred, particularly when I am out late with an early morning flight. ...
After many decades of travel the body does not tolerate such abuse. However, with a bit of hunting (AAA or other similiar discounts help) or Priceline, it is usually possible to get a mid-level near airport hotel for $100-$150, including major metro areas (no reason to go $250 as mentioned earlier). Fairfield Inns / Wyndums are my recent typical choices
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:51 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by RNE
Yet you consider a night in an airport to save a measly 200 bucks is one of those better ways to spend your life?
Guess you make considerably more than I do and live a rather comfortable life, I'd rather spend $200 on activities and doing things with the family than a hotel room for myself for 6 hours or paying $200 more on airfare. $200 alone is good enough for ski rental for the whole weekend.

Being snarky and judgmental is not really necessary, you don't know me, you don't know my life situation, you don't know what is important to me and what is not, etc.

If $200 is measly to you, I'll be more than happy to take a donation from you and pay for my hotel.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
After many decades of travel the body does not tolerate such abuse. However, with a bit of hunting (AAA or other similiar discounts help) or Priceline, it is usually possible to get a mid-level near airport hotel for $100-$150, including major metro areas (no reason to go $250 as mentioned earlier). Fairfield Inns / Wyndums are my recent typical choices
I can try Priceline. I am rather young and in my mid-twenties, so I can tolerate uncomfortable sleep arrangements a few times a year. I hope down the road when I have considerably more disposable income I can burn a couple hundred more a year on hotels and avoid crashing in the terminals.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I am rather young and in my mid-twenties, so I can tolerate uncomfortable sleep arrangements a few times a year. I hope down the road when I have considerably more disposable income I can burn a couple hundred more a year on hotels and avoid crashing in the terminals.
More power to you! ^ Mrs. Fredd and I are retired and sometimes we also make budgeting and spending decisions that might cause others to raise their eyebrows.

There are reasons that sleeping-in-airports website is popular.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess we all place different values on money but safety and wellbeing should not be compromised (and that standard is also subjective).

Most people probably don't understand why we would do mileage runs So, everything is relative...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by username
I guess we all place different values on money but safety and wellbeing should not be compromised (and that standard is also subjective).

Most people probably don't understand why we would do mileage runs So, everything is relative...
If we're willing to place less value on safety and wellbeing will United credit us more for our PQD?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
More power to you! ^ Mrs. Fredd and I are retired and sometimes we also make budgeting and spending decisions that might cause others to raise their eyebrows.

There are reasons that sleeping-in-airports website is popular.
+100. I'll make a rash decision on whether a few hundred dollars makes sense for just a few hours and possibly a nice shower. Sometimes my trip delay insurance will cover it which is nice but there are many times I will sleep in the terminal.

I still love sleeping at SIN though (especially in the KS lounge). They even give you pillows and a blanket!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
I remember sleeping in an uncomfortable chair in the old Munich airport decades ago and other similar bodily insults. Thought it was adventurous at the time and it let me leverage business travel into extra days at little cost for a newly minted Ph.D. used to living on student budgets. Now I don't even play upgrade lottery on long trips - I either guarantee the upgrade at purchase or I just buy the premium cabin and I avoid almost all redeyes unless there is a real benefit to me in taking one (like getting in an extra round of golf in Hawaii in January by taking the overnight back to SFO). Boy have I gotten spoiled! Different strokes for different folks - or even for the same folks at different ages!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Boy have I gotten spoiled! Different strokes for different folks - or even for the same folks at different ages!
Swore off mid con redeyes, but it adds an extra day to visit mom, so I suck it up and go to work from the airport in the morning. And no, I'm not a kid anymore

But I do try to avoid economy to/from Asia @:-)
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
So I booked my first trip of 2014. Here is the breakout on my receipt:

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 741.17 USD
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 24.32
U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 19.50
September 11th Security Fee: 10.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 18.00
Per Person Total: 812.99 USD
eTicket Total: 812.99 USD

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 741.17 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 71.82 USD
I assume this means I am getting 741.17 EQDs (do they round?) for the ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.