Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
8 days to go before the new year, and "How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?" still goes unanswered. Pathetic.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 100% Green
8 days to go before the new year, and "How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?" still goes unanswered. Pathetic.
this was added to the FAQs a few weeks ago, suspect that is the best answer you are going to get

My itinerary has more than one flight. How do you determine the PQD for each?

We use an industry-standard method to determine the portion of the ticket’s base fare and carrier-imposed surcharge value to allocate to each eligible flight segment. This method takes into account both the distance of the flight and the cabin you purchased.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Isn't it true that the credit card waiver applies to Platinum and below but not on 1K?
Yes it only applies to Platinum and below. Hope they keep it for 2015 and beyond. My opinion is that they should not tinker with this until they see how DL and AA (if they introduce a PQD type requirements) do it.

For 2015, I wouldn't be surprised to see:
* PQD requirement for all MP members regardless of physical mailing address
I doubt this will happen as it will drive away almost all of its international members. May they might restrict this for 1k and Plats.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hyho61
Yes it only applies to Platinum and below. Hope they keep it for 2015 and beyond. My opinion is that they should not tinker with this until they see how DL and AA (if they introduce a PQD type requirements) do it.

I doubt this will happen as it will drive away almost all of its international members. May they might restrict this for 1k and Plats.
They should not keep it, as it is bad for those who credit to *A.
The second part is true.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by STS-134
* Credit card PQD waiver only for Premier Gold and Premier Silver
* 3 free overweight bags becomes a benefit for Platinum and 1K only. Gold limited to 2 bags.
* Platinum can only bring 2 others into E+, 1K can bring 4, and GS can bring 8.
* Upgrades become harder as UA will be selling more TODs at cheaper prices

If 2 or more of these become reality, then the writing will really be on the wall for what MP will become (if it isn't already). Unless Smisek gets booted, then all bets are off and maybe things will actually improve.
I do not think MP international members will have the PQD, in my case (based in SJO) it is hard to find a ticket with less than 10 CPM, best lower fare I find is S.

All of the others I do see them being imposed.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
Originally Posted by STS-134
* Credit card PQD waiver only for Premier Gold and Premier Silver
* 3 free overweight bags becomes a benefit for Platinum and 1K only. Gold limited to 2 bags.
* Platinum can only bring 2 others into E+, 1K can bring 4, and GS can bring 8.
* Upgrades become harder as UA will be selling more TODs at cheaper prices

If 2 or more of these become reality, then the writing will really be on the wall for what MP will become (if it isn't already). Unless Smisek gets booted, then all bets are off and maybe things will actually improve.
I do not think MP international members will have the PQD, in my case (based in SJO) it is hard to find a ticket with less than 10 CPM, best lower fare I find is S.

All of the others I do see them being imposed.
+1. Everything may happen but the PQD for international MP members. 6CPM is considered a MR and most my flights for work are booked within a week of flight and well over 10 CPM , even on a K fare.

I saw a TOD for $99 on a 3 hour flight(lunch served too) with F2 and full economy!!!! Who wouldn't buy that... This was offered to my +1 who is GM and $149 to me as a plat...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:50 am
RNE

Prices will do nothing but go up, making it easier for everyone to hit PQD requirements. And you thought Jeff hated you. Pshaw!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RNE
Prices will do nothing but go up, making it easier for everyone to hit PQD requirements. And you thought Jeff hated you. Pshaw!
And then again, maybe they won't. This time last year I bought 2 tickets for IAD-FRA-FLR in April 2013, and each ticket was $1345.00. I just checked for the same dates in 2014, and the same flight is $1254.00.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by SKYEG
+1. Everything may happen but the PQD for international MP members. 6CPM is considered a MR and most my flights for work are booked within a week of flight and well over 10 CPM , even on a K fare.

I saw a TOD for $99 on a 3 hour flight(lunch served too) with F2 and full economy!!!! Who wouldn't buy that... This was offered to my +1 who is GM and $149 to me as a plat...
I wouldn't. Im not poor, but 99 bucks is a lot of money and not worth it to me to fly FC for 3 hours domestic.

Lunch, schmunch. I would save the calories and geta helluva nice dinner for 99 bucks - even in SFO...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Please be sure to post routing and fare classes in the TOD master thread
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I wouldn't. Im not poor, but 99 bucks is a lot of money and not worth it to me to fly FC for 3 hours domestic.

Lunch, schmunch. I would save the calories and geta helluva nice dinner for 99 bucks - even in SFO...
I agree, but only if you are Premier. GM gets benefits such as lounge access(it was "INTL"), and all premier benefits including group 1 boarding on a leisure route + guaranteed overhead space and not having to sit in E- potentially in a middle seat. Also for this instance, it is essential you get off the plane first as immigration in Mexico is a zoo(I was row 1 and it still took 1 hour as 2 UA flights landed before mine...). Add all that + a few free drinks on the plane and the value is there. I'd pay $99 OW to upgrade to F anyday as a GM. I guess everyone has their own view on $99 for UA F, especially if you are GS, too many flights on UA lol

As a plat, already confirmed in 2nd row E+, I declined. Upgrades cleared for myself and companion anyways

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Please be sure to post routing and fare classes in the TOD master thread
Will do!

And on a more related note, I am around $5400 spend so far with 80K PQM

Last edited by SKYEG; Dec 24, 2013 at 9:25 am
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:16 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
+1
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:24 am
RNE

...all premier benefits including... guaranteed overhead space
Guaranteed what?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Looking at the new website - I think the way I could get screwed here is by flying *A and not getting the 016 issued ticket. I could easily fly 100k miles but if you do it the wrong way you might not get the 10k spend necessary to qualify. I'm going to need to spend a LOT more time on the phone with their agents. I hope it's worth it to them.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Looking at the new website - I think the way I could get screwed here is by flying *A and not getting the 016 issued ticket. I could easily fly 100k miles but if you do it the wrong way you might not get the 10k spend necessary to qualify. I'm going to need to spend a LOT more time on the phone with their agents. I hope it's worth it to them.
You are their target. They want that *A business shifted to 016 stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.