Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I am the CFO of a small company. The new MP program means United is incentivizing my employees to spend more of my money than necessary.
That's always been the idea of all frequent flyer programs. They incentivize your employees to fly more than they otherwise would, and to fly on UA even if another airline is more convenient and cheaper.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Are E+ fees, change fees, and SDC/standby fees not "carrier imposed" or not "surcharges"? They're both in my dictionary, yet the consensus is they won't count toward PQD. ...
E+ access has been stated as explicitly included by UA.

I could see change fees (and SDC) as included or not -- but so far UA has not stated they are included.

I get folks think certain items should be included and UA may decide to add them to the list or may not. But what I don't get is this insistence that this is a disaster that not every little detail is firm at this point. Are folks going to change their plans for 2014 based on SDC fees not included????
I am more glad we got 5 months notice of a major change with major detials -- and look forward to more being rolled out as we get closer.

Originally Posted by mduell
... What about ETC as part of a refund? Do they count two, zero, or one times? What about ETC as VDB, downgrade, or other service failure compensation? ...
ETC are effectively discounts provided to compensate for an issue. It seems reasonable UA would count the net revenue after applying the discount. I don't understand the "Do they count two, zero, or one times?"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the copay benefit is sitting in an upgraded cabin -- you get no elite benefits today for that upgrade -- no miles bonuses and folks accept that and still upgrade.
I don't find this argument necessarily persuasive.

If I purchase a K fare and want to upgrade to a W I don't get any further elite benefits.... but if I upfare to a B then I do. Should I get credit for one but not the other?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I don't find this argument necessarily persuasive.

If I purchase a K fare and want to upgrade to a W I don't get any further elite benefits.... but if I upfare to a B then I do. Should I get credit for one but not the other?
It's not a "should" situation. UA makes the rules. Period.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not a "should" situation. UA makes the rules. Period.
UA hasn't stated anything since the initial proclamation. We don't know the complete set of rules that we'll need to play by.

Anyway, you might want to go back and read my post that you quoted. The word you focused on - 'should' - did not hold the meaning you claim it to have.

As it was in relation to an explanation postulated by WineCountryUA your post is trying to counter an argument that I did not put forth.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
That's always been the idea of all frequent flyer programs. They incentivize your employees to fly more than they otherwise would, and to fly on UA even if another airline is more convenient and cheaper.
True, but now that incentive is far more explicit than before, and unless every airline adopts qualifying dollars as part of their program, it could backfire on those that maintain it. My employer currently allows flexibility in choosing carriers when I travel on the company dime. That forebearance could go away if PQD programs increase the overall travel spend.

Last edited by halls120; Aug 5, 2013 at 5:37 am
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Option 1 - take booking privileges away from your employees and centralize the flight booking process - not nice for your employees, but guarantees those who fly DL and UA will not abuse cost controls

Option 2 - stop all travel on DL and UA and redirect spend to US/AA and LCCs
Counterpoint....my CFO and I agree that heavy biz flyers in our organisation benefit from a FF program from the airline best serving ther home airport and encourage them to join in our handbook.

Top priority of biz travel is biz effectiveness, not price.

If you are solely focussed on the middle line, you are losing on the top line.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
I have now talked to two agents who have suggested that United "does not recommend issuing tickets on United card stock for itineraries that do not involve a United flight." When explaining that I'm trying to learn how to play by the rules in anticipation of next year's changes, I am told that the "terms and conditions of the program can change at any time, and you [I] will have to accept these changes." I understand this to mean, "We will do everything in our power to ensure we only let people accrue revenue qualifying flights if United is part of the itinerary."

Thoughts?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ILikeComfort
I have now talked to two agents who have suggested that United "does not recommend issuing tickets on United card stock for itineraries that do not involve a United flight." When explaining that I'm trying to learn how to play by the rules in anticipation of next year's changes, I am told that the "terms and conditions of the program can change at any time, and you [I] will have to accept these changes." I understand this to mean, "We will do everything in our power to ensure we only let people accrue revenue qualifying flights if United is part of the itinerary."

Thoughts?
...that's what I've been saying all along. Others disagree with me. I guess we'll see one of these months when we get an update. Hopefully by January.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:40 am

Thoughts?
When I read that UA was going to allow PQD credit for 016 tickets for travel on non-United metal, but not for purchased PQM on UA flights or a paid upgrade on a flight on UA metal, my first thought is that the inmates must be running the asylum.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Thoughts?
Has anyone tried? What would happen if you call UA and tell them you want to buy an SQ ticket. Would they do it if you insist?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by halls120
When I read that UA was going to allow PQD credit for 016 tickets for travel on non-United metal, but not for purchased PQM on UA flights or a paid upgrade on a flight on UA metal, my first thought is that the inmates must be running the asylum.
It will probably be simpler for UA to just eliminate Elite Maximizer altogether.

Would that make you happy?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
It will probably be simpler for UA to just eliminate Elite Maximizer altogether.
I doubt they'd do that, as there are people who spend a great deal on UA, doing routes like ORD-EWR Monday Morning / Thursday Afternoon who might barely make gold, but probably spend $15k+ since everything is usually an H fare or higher.

So for those people if they are a few 1000/miles from plat/1k well worth it, UA knows this and will keep the Elite Maximizer, they may actually lower the price if it doesnt could for PQD's but i don't think its going away.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question which has yet to be posed, at least it does not appear in the wiki, is when does the address on record determine if the MP member get a waiver or not.

Do I need to declare by Jan 1 2013? Can I wait until Dec 31 2013 (not that I would)?

Does a mid-year change of address effect the PQD waiver?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Thoughts?
The schedule is full of all LH itins using UA flight numbers and ticket stock. UA has been pretty impartial on its joint venture tickets.

Originally Posted by chavala
Has anyone tried? What would happen if you call UA and tell them you want to buy an SQ ticket. Would they do it if you insist?
This is covered in the wikipost for this thread:

How to book 016 PQD earning tickets when no UA, UX, Copa metal flights are on itinerary.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

Would that make you happy?
If they keep the PQM maximizer, its only purpose would be to bump PQMs to next multiple of 25K or 50K to get RPUs or GPUs after requalifying for plat or 1K. Any cpm that exceeds 10 all in would make that product useless.

So yeah, if it doesn't count toward PQD, no skin off my nose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.