Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
GMAB. A $10K ticket for UA metal that they get full (or shared ATI) amount vs. a $10K ticket for SQ metal (016 stock) that they get limited $ for? You honestly are fully confident you'll get the same amount of PQDs in each scenario?
I, like, fundamentally don't get what you deal is here.

Please, for the benefit of us all, point to the rule that supports what you're saying.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I, like, fundamentally don't get what you deal is here.

Please, for the benefit of us all, point to the rule that supports what you're saying.
That's the point - there is no rule, and nothing is set in stone yet.

Are all *A carriers "partners"? Will all fare codes count? What about non star Partners?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's the point - there is no rule, and nothing is set in stone yet.

Are all *A carriers "partners"? Will all fare codes count? What about non star Partners?
These are make-believe concerns. The answers to the first two questions are completely, utterly set in stone.

I could tell you that United was offering a $10 off coupon for domestic US tickets, and you'd say that it wasn't clear that the dollars were American. Give me a break. It's impossible to have a productive conversation this way.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... What about non star Partners?
MP partners on 016 ticket stock are explicitly included
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
These are make-believe concerns. The answers to the first two questions are completely, utterly set in stone.

I could tell you that United was offering a $10 off coupon for domestic US tickets, and you'd say that it wasn't clear that the dollars were American. Give me a break. It's impossible to have a productive conversation this way.
I guess you have a lot of faith in UA. The past year and a half has tought me otherwise. We shall see. I'll cease my conversation with you now too.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
MP partners on 016 ticket stock are explicitly included
I guess we'll see when we get more explicit details about the program. Lots of unanswered questions and ambiguity still.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
An anecdote about 016 tickets. Because of Atlantic Plus Plus, United has been forced to terminate codeshares with other airlines like SAS for anti-trust reasons. So I doubt that you can even buy SAS tickets on 016 ticket stock today; certainly cannot online. If you look at flights to ARN/CPH via LHR today on united.com even the connecting flights are on BA.

I used to frequently buy SAS issued tickets in B class where I would fly to ARN via CPH in SAS Economy Extra (sometimes upgrading to business with my SAS points) and then return via FRA on UA where I would use miles to upgrade. I would ask SAS to book the UA segment without codeshare and that was not a problem.

The interesting thing is that if bought the same ticket from UA then they would book you in economy even if the booking class on SAS metal is B because economy extra doesn't exist as far as UA is concerned. I wonder what's going to happen when Lufthansa launches a premium economy class shortly and you book as a codeshare?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gnaget
I wonder what's going to happen when Lufthansa launches a premium economy class shortly and you book as a codeshare?
If someone currently earns a large percentage of their PQMs on *A carriers, the new policy is going to be a problem. They're either going to have buy codeshares, switch to UA metal, or have issues meeting the PQD thresholds. And there all kinds of issues with buying codeshares, not the least of which is booking and fare code translations.

UA is betting that the new policy will divert much of the revenue that is currently going to *A partners over to UA. We'll see whether that happens. The fact that SQ and LH have such lousy FF programs certainly weighs in UA's favor. But it's just going to be a real issue for this group of flyers whether to stay with UA.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Kacee
If someone currently earns a large percentage of their PQMs on *A carriers, the new policy is going to be a problem. They're either going to have buy codeshares, switch to UA metal, or have issues meeting the PQD thresholds. And there all kinds of issues with buying codeshares, not the least of which is booking and fare code translations.

UA is betting that the new policy will divert much of the revenue that is currently going to *A partners over to UA. We'll see whether that happens. The fact that SQ and LH have such lousy FF programs certainly weighs in UA's favor. But it's just going to be a real issue for this group of flyers whether to stay with UA.
UA is betting that the revenue will be the same, but the top tiers of elites will be thinned to UA customers, not *A customers. This is in line with the rest of the industry.

There will be a loss of revenue from the AA US merger of course.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
UA is betting that the revenue will be the same, but the top tiers of elites will be thinned to UA customers, not *A customers. This is in line with the rest of the industry.
I'm not sure UA cares whether the elite ranks are thinned. Like virtually all of corporate America, their moves are revenue driven. They're hoping the 1K who currently buys C tickets on SQ will them on UA instead. Or pay more for an LH codeshare than they would have buying the ticket straight from LH.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:59 pm

Sorry if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread.

Does anyone know if the PQD waiver for spending $25K on a MP co-branded credit card has to be one card and one card only? I have two cards for a specific reason (both of which are linked to my MP account), and am wondering if I should consider changing or need to change all of my spending to one card alone in order to get the waiver.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...They're hoping the 1K who currently buys C tickets on SQ will them on UA instead. Or pay more for an LH codeshare than they would have buying the ticket straight from LH.
They can keep dreaming.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by theprofessional79
Sorry if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread.

Does anyone know if the PQD waiver for spending $25K on a MP co-branded credit card has to be one card and one card only? I have two cards for a specific reason (both of which are linked to my MP account), and am wondering if I should consider changing or need to change all of my spending to one card alone in order to get the waiver.
from the FAQ on their website:

If the primary cardmember has multiple MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia by Chase Bank USA, N.A., Net Purchases on those cards will be combined to calculate the $25,000 spend for the PQD waiver in 2014.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
They're hoping the 1K who currently buys C tickets on SQ will them on UA instead.
HAHAHAHA I really hope you're wrong on that because that would mean either UA is ran by a bunch of idiots or they strongly believe their customer base is a bunch of idiots.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:39 pm
RNE

They're hoping the 1K who currently buys C tickets on SQ will [buy] them on UA instead.
Sorry, bocastephen, they're not dreaming.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
It may be somewhere in the 195 pages of this post, but I can't find it. The statement:
and who spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.
confuses me. I have the Chase card, but my spending doesn't reach $25,000 until well into the year (or even 'til year end). What happens if I fly, say, 75,000 miles on cheap tickets (not reaching the $7,500 at all), but have the card reaching $25,000 in late December? I assume the Platinum level would not be reached until I've done both (the 75,000 miles and the $25,000 card spend). When do I qualify for Platinum: December?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.