Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I don't mind the spend requirements as I spend, or come close to these numbers anyway.

What I do mind are the following:

I believe the price I pay should be included in the calculations. Don't take away the int'l surcharge or anything like that.

Star Member flights should still count. It's difficult to plate flights on 016 stock sometimes, and it's an another unnecessary burden.

In the end, I'll just end up changing my address to reflect my foreign home, and avoid these games ^
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Good! DL's changes are spreading. Now the right people will be awarded with Elite status. AA will surely follow - if not this year, next.
And I bet you'll still be saying that in a few years when DL's $ minimums go up by 50%
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Only positive I see is fewer 1Ks as it will be people who actually fly and not all the mileage runners.

Yes, mileage runners are the downfall of the airline. They number in the millions and have a huge affect on 1K ranks.

Several people have already said upthread who the losers are in this including the irony that most people who are elite now will be OPMs who dont actually spend a dime on a ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
Couldnt disagree more. 20k is allot of coin for 45 minutes hops between ORD and cvg
I agree 1000%! I did that flight alot and was always 900.00. Do that 10 times and you have spent 9K but only got 9K in miles! A flyer like that barely makes Premier!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Just searched this thread and doesn't look like anyone's pointed this out yet but on the MP updates page near the bottom, one of the FAQs states that Club Card and PresPlus card holders are exempt from the new requirements, at least for 2014. This makes it even more of a wash in my case as a Club Card holder.
Unfortunately it's just the PresPlus card holders that are exempt...it's only the 4 UA metals segment exception that applies to the Club Card members and they specific say that the PresPlus card is not available to new applicants...oh well...I was hopeful for about 5 min.

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I have dual-citizenship with Ireland but currently, and always have, lived in the US. My MP address will now be that of a friend's in Sligo. What is their verification process going to look like?

Programs: UAL 1P
I have mixed feelings about this. My spend last year is roughly 5k-10k, but since I mostly fly domestic, I'm only a Gold. I've no problem with revenue requirements, if done right. Excluding taxes, partner issued tickets, etc doesn't sit well with me. They could have gone with EQPs tied to fare class ala AA, or a simpler dollar spend system. I can't wait for the rash of year end surprises due to real spend (inclusive of taxes), and EQD spend.

With the continued decrease in service quality (IRROPS, phone, onboard, boarding scrum, etc.) I've already been transitioning away from United for international (mostly leisure). This change is not an incentive to stay. Combined with upcoming changes to my travel patterns, I'm about ready to drop my legacy CC and say goodbye to UAL entirely.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by vforni
I don't mind the spend requirements as I spend, or come close to these numbers anyway.

What I do mind are the following:

I believe the price I pay should be included in the calculations. Don't take away the int'l surcharge or anything like that.

Star Member flights should still count. It's difficult to plate flights on 016 stock sometimes, and it's an another unnecessary burden.

In the end, I'll just end up changing my address to reflect my foreign home, and avoid these games ^
Since your profile shows you are based in China this shouldn't be too terribly inconvenient.

PS: this is a change I fully understand. There is no point in rewarding loyalty of passengers who pay well below the cost of the product. Yes, these customers are important to the overall profitability of the airline (because filling a seat at 8 cpm is better than an empty seat) but the airline can attract infrequent flyers with bargain basement fares and shoyldn't be further discounting for them, which is what the mileage programs really are - a backend discount. The rewards of upgrades and mileage bonuses and free tickets and no change fees on award tickets and the like should be concentrated on the customers who pay above the marginal cost of operations. And United has plenty of those customers based on reports of how many Premiers there are.

Last edited by Air Houston; Jun 18, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by aacharya
I never have. I got them at PP.
I got them at 75K and 100K. It's at 75K + every 25K thereafter.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I see next year that will change.
The FAQ describes the current situation w.r.t. GPU/RPU earnings:

You will earn two RPU upon qualifying for Premier Platinum status.

You will earn six GPU and two RPU upon qualifying for Premier 1K status.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Same, I'm hoping for 1K enhancements but doubt anything will happen. Once AA implements their spend requirement, the 3 programs will be level again, and we'll be back complaining about the same things in each program.
What would be interesting is if AA DIDN'T start this in 2014 - and then see if they were able to capture UA/DL defectors who didn't want to play the $ game. It could become a competitive advantage for them. I could also see large corporations switching to AA IF they didn't implement $ spend as it wouldn't have the same encouragement of late booking UA/DL will now see - they'd ultimately save more money w/AA.

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Unfortunately it's just the PresPlus card holders that are exempt...it's only the 4 UA metals segment exception that applies to the Club Card members and they specific say that the PresPlus card is not available to new applicants...oh well...I was hopeful for about 5 min.
This is actually less generous than DL's policy, their version of the club card gives you full exemption from the MQD requirements.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Thanks for pointing that out....that could be a game changer for me (in a positive direction)....so you could in theory, buy MR tickets at 3cpm or less and have access to the UC for $1500 (50,000 PQMs x 3cpm) + $395 Club Card fee $1895....now that's not a bad deal.
I think this is not the whole story. The waiver only applies for Silver, Gold and Platinum. The language that I believe was being referred t states this:
How does this change affect Presidential Plus Cardmembers?

For 2014, the Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) requirement is waived for existing Presidential Plus Cardmembers for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification. For 2014, we will continue to waive the four segment minimum for Presidential Plus and MileagePlus Club Card Cardmembers as long as their card account is open and not in default at the time of qualification.

The Presidential Plus Card is no longer available to new applicants.
Note also that the first half does NOT mention the Explorer Club card.
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Just searched this thread and doesn't look like anyone's pointed this out yet but on the MP updates page near the bottom, one of the FAQs states that Club Card and PresPlus card holders are exempt from the new requirements, at least for 2014. This makes it even more of a wash in my case as a Club Card holder.
That only applies to the Presidental Plus Card... The Club Card is excluded from this waiver.

They even pointed out that the Presidental Plus card is no longer available to new applicants, which is pretty clear that this waiver does not extend to the current Club Cards.

$25,000 it is for those who got the Club Card after the Presidential Plus card was discontinued.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
For all those that are saying i'll just use my international address... they specifically state in the rules....

The Premier qualifying dollar (PQD) requirement only applies to members whose primary MileagePlus account address is in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. Those who use military or diplomatic addresses (APO, DPO or FPO) are exempt from the PQD requirement.

To me this means they don't plan to exempt everyone with an overseas address
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
I have dual-citizenship with Ireland but currently, and always have, lived in the US. My MP address will now be that of a friend's in Sligo. What is their verification process going to look like?
I have a feeling it might be based on flying patterns.

Like if you "move" to Ireland. But most of your flights originate out of ORD. And your trips to Ireland originate from the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.