Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Well. Not unexpected. I really think this makes sense and I support this move. I wish AA did it, too. It is a much better model than transactional loyalty on a one-off basis. Now that status is more meaningful, that should bode well for those who fulfill the published criteria.
I agree and wish AS would move to a similar model. In my own case I purchase the "upper tier fares" ie "gold" upgrade fares but get the same miles as someone in row 26! Would think some reward for money spent would be nice and I am not talking about cc, rather actual funds spent on tickets.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:26 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
?

You do not get 2 RPUs at 100.
Yes, you do.

2x at 75k, 2x at 100k = 4x for a 100k flyer

You have to fly 150k to even reach par with what PMUA pax would have gotten by 100k (8x). That was a pretty serious devaluation (and, of course, UA also took away the promised 2x RPUs for MM pax). You'd think with tightening requirements for status, UA could perhaps rethink and add some additional benefits like more RPUs.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by YYZtoDCA
Just out of curiosity, do people on this thread think that the PQD levels are designed to coerce a higher level of spending than you already pay for your flights each year? Or is it basically a wash, and you are already spending this amount per year at your elite level?
It's clearly designed to encourage more spending. Pretty much nobdy knows what their YTD UA spend is. Even when UA was displaying the numbers the data was wildly inaccurate.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Yes you do, currently.
I never have. I got them at PP.

I see next year that will change.

Originally Posted by mikeef

Your friend is an extraordinarily valued customer. He's paying $.55 per seat mile, give or take. That is incredibly profitable for UA. They should be showering him with gifts.
And your friend should route through CLE or IAH to make the PQMs.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 2013 at 9:31 am Reason: merge

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
As a silver myself I don't see what all the complaining about this is about since we all knew it was coming. I mean really, can any of you honestly tell me that you don't spend $2500 in a year? It's really not a difficult target to reach.
Seriously? If you spend 2500 for silver, you are grossly overpaying. If I do 5 transcons for $300 a piece, that is still only 1500, and that is wayyy too much in my opinion anyway. Adios UA. It was a good few years.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
As a silver myself I don't see what all the complaining about this is about since we all knew it was coming. I mean really, can any of you honestly tell me that you don't spend $2500 in a year? It's really not a difficult target to reach.
Its not a difficult target, but for $2500 of my own money, I currently get a lot more than Silver @:-) Without MRs.

I've always received them at 25k increments at and above 75k.

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I have been in the mileage game for about 9 years now and it sure was fun while it lasted.

But this might be The End for me.
I'm in the same boat...about 9 years playing this 'game' and it's been fun!

But, with a baby now and these horrible jeff'ed up spend requirements while cutting the product and service so much - it just doesn't make sense.

2014 will be my last year as a 1K and i'll be happy to use up those GPUs and start flying an airline who actually appreciates my business, regardless of how much money I spend

Time to start reading up on the rules for A3 *G and head into the RCC as much as possible to drink and eat as much as possible while I'm there on a DCA-ORD/EWR trip!

-jeremy

Originally Posted by antonius66
Seriously? If you spend 2500 for silver, you are grossly overpaying. If I do 5 transcons for $300 a piece, that is still only 1500, and that is wayyy too much in my opinion anyway. Adios UA. It was a good few years.
And that's even overcalculating, given that the taxes/fees wouldn't count anyways!

*S is definitely not worth US$2.500 - with the chance of getting E+ and being lumped in with credit card folks...

I'm with you though, enjoy the new HVFers UA

-jeremy

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 2013 at 9:32 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:29 am

Partner ticket stock
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
This is just another reason I'm happy to be relocating out of the US later this year. Administering this will inevitably turn out to be a nightmare just like anything else UA IT touches.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
This was expected. Executing is another thing. And why pick on us in the United States. This part is disappointing.

Now to it. I am NOT comfortable with UA keeping track of our spend. If your target is 1k then there should be a way to put $10k into the "travel bank". Once fully used along with 100,000 PQM you are done and qualified for next year. That keeps all the paperwork going back and forth. Just completed 1k and did spend less than $10k. The question will also be when the disgust sets in will one spend more. I think not. And if now we are getting less RPUs. Then I am enjoying my seat on AA right now more and more. Options. Actions have consequences and UA started this up. Consumers can only take so much. US consumers that is.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
The change would be for a member who reaches 75k+ PQM but does not make the PQD threshold for the Platinum tier, as that member would not be eligible for RPU deposits.
That member won't receive any of the platinum benefits, not just RPUs.

More interesting question is whether each additional 25k PQM also requires an additional $2500 spend to obtain the additional 2 RPUs.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ddrost1
I am not sure if this has been called out yet but could be very important for those who want to use their credit cards to get a PQD waiver:

2014 Premier qualification dollar (PQD) waiver: For 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification for members (i) whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and (ii) who in 2014 have spent at least $25,000 in Net Purchases, on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. at the time in 2014 they qualify for Premier status

In other words, it will be important to time your spending and your PQM earning to coincide around the time you plan to hit your status. Spending $25k in 2014 isn't good enough, it has to be done by the time you plan to hit your top status tier.
But at the time in 2014 they qualify for Premier status is a rolling window.

If on Nov 15 2014 I have 75001 PQM and $24000 Chase spend: then no dice on PP.

But then if on Dec 15 2014 i have the same 75001 PQM but now $25001 Chase spend then my "qualify for Platinum" date becomes Dec 15 2014.

Originally Posted by ddrost1
Predicting by the time this is all said and done you will need a Ph.D., a J.D. and possibly an M.D. to de-convolute all the T&C's.
No kidding.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

It won't "change" next year because that's the way it already is! @:-)

Seriously, if you flew 100k+ PQM and only got 2x RPUs (from 75k), you need to complain to the Mileage Plus Service Center. You are due 2x every 25k PQM, starting at 75k.

UA.com on RPUs:

Originally Posted by United.com
Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades when they reach 75,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 90 Premier qualifying segments (PQS), plus two more for each 25,000 PQM or 30 PQS earned thereafter. Learn more about Premier status.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by antonius66
Some people do not have infinite schedule and routing flexibility -- they don't sit around and wait for transcon fares, to whatever destination, to be $300 and choose to fly only then. Five transcons for $500 apiece on average doesn't seem so strange.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Also, in a few years, expect those figures to increase
Ding-ding-ding. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.