Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ddrost1
i am not stupid and i fully understand that this fundamental change is exactly what UA and DL want to instill in me the consumer, but it is too much too quick to ask me and other FF like myself to swallow that level of change between now and Jan 1 2014, and not be left with a bitter taste.
I'm not sure why them implementing these changes for 2014 is "too soon" - unless you'd already booked a bunch of leisure travel or MRs for early 2014 and now think them a waste. United has always only granted status based on what you fly in any given year. You stop doing it one year and you're back to a kettle for the next even if you start up again.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Exactly - but this creates a big opportunity for some other airline to do something more for customers whose gross spend falls between $1,000 and $15,000 per year. UA has just enlarged the "consideration pool" of frequent flyers seeing what else is out there.

In the meantime, I don't see anything in the PQD scheme that generates more revenue for the airline. It's very expensive to replace one $8,000 per year flyer with eight $1,000 per year ones, even if the latter are buying TOD upgrades out from under the 1Ks left in the herd.
I agree with the overall sentiments you've expressed here and elsewhere re UA, but differ with your reasoning in this instance.

What other airline is going to step up? Effectively we have an oligopoly now. Less competition means more changes we won't like.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by penner42
Yep. Given that I never expect an upgrade, it seems like $499 annual E+ combined with the Explorer card is a much better option than going for Gold.
****Ding Ding Ding*****

Although not exactly what your were intending. People at the top are saying this will thin the heard. People at the bottom are saying it's now cheaper to go for the subscriptions. For the international flyer, I'm screwed either way - no upgrades, now everybody can access E+, board with group 2, take up the premier line, and so on. The product is so devalued that there is no point to maintain any sort of loyalty. That extra trip or 2 I might have taken...gone.

UA, I think you'll lose more revenue from this move than you'll make. You need to increase the value of being 1K or Platinum if you want people to stick around.

Last edited by jlivengo; Jun 20, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As UA 1K, they were upgraded almost every flight within the US and had an enhanced ability to use reward miles without fees and get access to the premier line when needed.

The status on UA was for award travel benefits and benefits when traveling wholly within the US on domestic flights which only occurred a few times a year. They are not paying for F class on a US airline domestic flight - that's like paying a Four Seasons rate for a Motel 6 room. If they are only getting a Motel 6 room, that's all they want to pay and I can't blame them.

I've personally flown UA's new F seat on both the 777 and 747 and I actually loved it - and thought it was a smart way to go on the TPAC flights. Oh well.
United COULD offer a challenge to get to status like AA does, which would seem to fit the scenario you described whereby you are telling them "I'll book on you if you give me status", but they for whatever reason has decided it's not worth it.

Not every decision by a customer is rational of course and United must control for these in aggregate. That's why they have policies in the first place. Nothing would force your clients to book UA F just because United decided to dole out status, and they can see that that customer didn't even fly the requirement last year.

I support airlines giving out status only to those customers who have demonstrated loyalty, and not ones who promise it.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by villox
I'm not sure why them implementing these changes for 2014 is "too soon" - unless you'd already booked a bunch of leisure travel or MRs for early 2014 and now think them a waste. United has always only granted status based on what you fly in any given year. You stop doing it one year and you're back to a kettle for the next even if you start up again.
not saying its too quick for UA, i am saying its too quick for me to stomach having my benefits cut in half (or worse) or spending 2x as much to keep them at the status quo. it is a statement of personal gripe, UA is going to do what it is going to do and noone here is naive enough to think they are going to change it.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
What other airline is going to step up? Effectively we have an oligopoly now. Less competition means more changes we won't like.
I know it, and agree with you that we suffer under an oligopoly's thumb... at the moment. But these things run in cycles. BA's stifling domination of the UK and LHR led the insurgent Branson to start VS. We have a fairly indifferent telecom oligarchy in AT&T/Verizon/Sprint, but now upstart alternatives like Vonage and Republic. I know what the barriers to entry are in the airline business, but I hold out a glimmer of hope that we are living through the darkest days right now, and the future may not completely be a totalitarian hell of brutal Soviet-style service, halfhearted 80-percent-is-good enough operations, and hostage customers praying for deliverance.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by villox
I support airlines giving out status only to those customers who have demonstrated loyalty, and not ones who promise it.
That's a penny wise pound foolish proposal when you have a potential client with annual spend exceeding 100k per year who is interested in your company. Throwing them a bone for 1 year is not a money losing proposal here.

This is a byproduct of UA management taking the position that our customers have no other options - but the reality is they do. These customers went to SQ full time and now left UA permanently for US domestic travel, another premium cabin customer banned us from ever booking her on UA again, calling the product and service "garbage" (and I got blowback on that one after convincing her to try it in an effort to wean her from DL/AF) and our run-of-the-mill business customers now just either book the lowest fare or stick with US, DL and AA.

So, while UA management might not want to accept the truth, all customers have a choice they can exercise.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
This move is sure to annoy LH, their TATL revenue partner. A change to include LH, AC, Swiss and Austrian TATL tickets for PQD would be good solution. UA is doing this primarily for boosting their ticket sales on international flights, but I dont see any reason for excluding LH since they share the revenue anyway.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Feeling sorry for you US-guys, but on the other hand we foreigners were constantly disadvantaged, be it with not having co-branded CCs or certain types of vouchers "in the 50 states...". That´ll mean significantly less 1Ks in the future, no?

F.R.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
New UA Slogan

Last week, as I was returning from a business meeting in Denver - on a packed plane (the norm these days) with an entirely indifferent crew - I manufactured a new slogan for United:

"It's the least we can do!"
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I know it, and agree with you that we suffer under an oligopoly's thumb... at the moment. But these things run in cycles. BA's stifling domination of the UK and LHR led the insurgent Branson to start VS. We have a fairly indifferent telecom oligarchy in AT&T/Verizon/Sprint, but now upstart alternatives like Vonage and Republic. I know what the barriers to entry are in the airline business, but I hold out a glimmer of hope that we are living through the darkest days right now, and the future may not completely be a totalitarian hell of brutal Soviet-style service, halfhearted 80-percent-is-good enough operations, and hostage customers praying for deliverance.
We have choices and competition available right now. First, we don't know what the new AA is going to look like post integration, but who knows - they might buck the trend and go against the DL and UA approach especially if they dumb down the overal domestic product to US standards ("hey, that US flight attendent is wearing pajamas!")

However, one must be flexible in order to embrace choice. Many of us shiver at the thought of going from king-of-the-hill 1K on UA to a Kettle on WN, B6, VX or - gasp - Sun Country, Frontier or Allegiant. For west coasters, you can't really go wrong with Alaska. Most of us are stuck because we're unwilling to change our perception of air travel and our expectations that come from travel.

UA decided to get creative, and some of us with location options will get equally creative, but for those who are either stuck with the 10K limit and refuse to drop to Platinum (easily done on a Chase card with manufactured spend), there are other options depending on personal flexibility.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mecabq
It seems like UA could pair such a change with a devaluation of low fare classes (e.g., 50%, 25%, or even 0% PQM earning for some booking codes) and achieve the same basic objective of a minimum revenue requirement in a far simpler way.

But this wouldn't achieve the other benefit of strongly disincenting travel on partners, unless of course they also reduced earning on other Star carriers to zero. But I guess they wouldn't do that because they still want to encourage customers to give UA revenue by buying partners' tickets from UA. And what they are doing now is a far more opaque technique -- leaving the partner earning chart unchanged*, making it less likely to offend other Star members or provoke a reciprocal downgrade of earning on UA flights on their programs (which UA would not want).

All of this logic together reveals UA's true motive, I suppose, in this move. This is why it's not just, or primarily, about culling "mileage runners."

*Of course they already devalued this earlier in the year.
I only fly UA occasionally, but as a DL flyer who has faced this issue, I would say that devaluing low fare classes isn't a real way to go. I don't pay much attention to fare classes; on Delta, I buy everything from the cheapest fare class transcons from JFK-SFO for sub $500 to full fare LGA-IAD flights for $1,200 last minute. I will also buy full F domestic fares occasionally if they are priced right. The point is I direct most flying to Delta no matter what fare class and would like all this flying to earn MQM. A lot of flyers are hybrid leisure / business travelers; airlines should just be trying to reward good customers regardless of what kind of flyer they are (which means taking spend into account, not the types of fare purchased). I meet the spend requirements for pretty linearly with miles flown (if I fly 25,000 miles, I will have spent $2,500, if I fly 50,000 miles, I will have spent $5,000, etc). I generally like these changes as they remove most of the "gaming" from the system.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by EWR764
The die is cast. There is no doubt the new AA/US program will introduce a revenue requirement.
Ironic, since I was going to move over to UA next year after the merger hits the fan.... now I might just as well stay put or switch to Air Canada... As a lowly silver or gold in a megaairline, the upgrades are unlikely, so might just as well get free club visits...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Has the justice dept approved the AA/US merger yet? I think we've seen enough from what has happened with DL and UA to put the brakes on the last big merger or we're all 'doomed'... does anybody know how to put their voice in on what consumers think of the proposed merger?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
another q on what "counts" in PQD

Originally Posted by nova08
Pretty clear...

What should have you worried is the mention of 2014. It could have just been an addition to make it clear or it could have been a slip that in 2015 YQ may not be factored into PQDs.
So - let's make this real another way. Below is a breakdown from a real receipt, from a IAD-NRT-BKK-NRT-itin. If i understand the new rules and what i've read in this forum, the PQDs for this flight for one flyer should be 1910. base fare plus the carrier-imposed fee/international surcharge of 400. right?

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 1,510.00 USD
U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 34.40
September 11th Security Fee: 5.00
Japan Passenger Security Service Charge: 9.80
Japan Passenger Service Facilities Charge: 20.00
Thailand Passenger Service Charge: 23.30
International Surcharge: 400.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 9.00
Per Person Total: 2,029.00
USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.