Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Personally, that is not a "change I like". I think that I will qualify, it may even contribute to me sticking with UA no matter what, albeit E+ and GPUs are already doing this. At first, at least. This is because I can probably bank on 8 flights to Asia next year. If I make sure some are at least Ws, which I need to do to get GPU cleared anyway, then it's a "pass".

Now, if I lose GPUs and it looks like I can run short of the PQD, then I will explore my options. If Y is the only thing in my future anyway, and the Asian carriers have a better level of service, then why would I stick with United?

At least, United could do something in return for tightening 1K access (this is pretty much what they are trying to do). We get 6 GPU at 100K, and then 2 GPUs at 150K. Why not give us some TLC and get 2 GPUs at 133K, 2 others at 166K and the like? What is the cost of the operation to UA? Pretty much nothing - I cannot believe they pay more than $15 a meal in C, or $2 for the pouch. You don't get C for sure unless there is really, really no way to sell that seat full price anyway. So... why not?

You should not always tightened the screws and never get something in return.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Syzygies
I've been watching the stats for a million miles. Your pithy answer suggests you believe people should take things on authority, rather than by understanding answers or examining evidence.
i think mgcsinc was answering the question in bold. the bolded question was whether the PQD program was already in effect. it's not in effect until 2014. that's... well... it's not starting until 2014.

Originally Posted by skidooman
At least, United could do something in return for tightening 1K access (this is pretty much what they are trying to do). We get 6 GPU at 100K, and then 2 GPUs at 150K. Why not give us some TLC and get 2 GPUs at 133K, 2 others at 166K and the like? What is the cost of the operation to UA? Pretty much nothing - I cannot believe they pay more than $15 a meal in C, or $2 for the pouch. You don't get C for sure unless there is really, really no way to sell that seat full price anyway. So... why not?
i'd be happy if they gave out 8 GPU's at 1K like AA does with EXP, but hey, while i'm dreaming anyway i'd like to win the powerball and have six pack abs too.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:09 am

You should not always tightened the screws and never get something in return.
Why not give us 8 GPUs at 100k.

There is a big difference between someone on a W fare using a GPU to sit in C and someone that purchased C.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by villox
Aside from the logistical nightmare, you are assuming that this is all about priority for upgrades. That is just one aspect of the program. The "lesser" elites would still get priority baggage, take up space at service counters and in security lines, get lower change fees, take up E+ seats, etc along with all the other benefits United thinks is costing them money. It is only speculation that they are doing this to please their HVFs, and I would guess a very minor one.
+1 ... not only "lesser" elites but CC holders too.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:11 am
Suspended

Worst to First to Worst

It's a business. What do u expect?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Along with others and as many predicted several years ago, carriers would over time shift their loyalty programs to focus on revenue rather than on artificial criteria such as miles and segments. This has become even more true as carriers provided "bonuses" to the miles/segments. Because the length or # of a flight bears no relationship to revenue or net revenue, it necessarily bears no relationship to a customer's value to UA. It's also the case that UA, as with the other legacies, has focused in on corporate contracts. Those typically grant various levels of status as a matter of contract, so it's the overall corporate spend, not any individual's which really matters.

2. If everyone is elite nobody is elite. That has to change. So, how to change? Simply require more miles or segments for each level? Or start to focus on $ spend? The latter makes more sense and fundamentally rewards those who spend more.

3. The requirements heavily favor those who travel in intl premium cabins. To put this in stark reality, an F ticket from East Coast - Beijing is $29K RT. Putting aside discounts and the like, it's easy to see where the split comes going forward.

4. There is no significant competetive disadvantage to UA from making these changes. If UA dumps mileage runners, that's probably a bet positive for the airline. Segment fliers on cheap tickets may well be hub-spoke captives so they aren't going anywhere. And, with only three legacy carriers, there will be less competition overall. DL has already shifted to a revenue qualifier and, it's a reasonable prediction that the new AA will do so as well.

5. My prediction for 2015-16 is a revenue-based system. Period. You get a point per $ spend + CC's and the qualification levels are adjusted so that there is a pyramid with the top 0.5% at GS and so on and so forth.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Now This!

It seems that almost every day CO dba UA is announcing another way that they think they will earn money.

Yesterday, United announced higher fees to change an award ticket!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,333544.story

I suspect that all of the other airlines will announce the same type of fees today, but what else can they think of to drive people away?

Oh, for the golden days of regulation!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: UA
016 rule issues

I am one of those people that may be screwed by this, as I do a lot of my travel on *A. I read the 016 rule, but the problem is with UA website. If I want to fly from JFK to IST the website does not bring up Turkish Airlines as a possibility. Would I have to call and pay the agent/ticketing fee just to get this as a 016 ticket? EWR is not a good option for anyone that lives on the East Side of Manhattan, Queens or Long Island.... Really annoying as I like the *A a lot.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
It seems that almost every day CO dba UA is announcing another way that they think they will earn money.

Yesterday, United announced higher fees to change an award ticket! for non Premiers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,333544.story

I suspect that all of the other airlines will announce the same type of fees today, but what else can they think of to drive people away?

Oh, for the golden days of regulation!
I added text in bold for as a key point for accuracy.

Yeah there's already a big separate thread on this. As there should be - rather than here.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i think mgcsinc was answering the question in bold. the bolded question was whether the PQD program was already in effect. it's not in effect until 2014. that's... well... it's not starting until 2014.
Yup.

Though I also think that the conspiracy theory about a super-secret upgrade prioritization is... a conspiracy theory. It has absolutely no basis in evidence, and goes against the clearly laid-out order that is described on the website and which reflects my experience getting plenty of pre-gate CPU's as a Gold.

Look at diditclear.com. Plenty of people flying in low fare classes receive CPU's, every day, all the time, with great frequency. Flying EWR-LAX recently, as a Gold, flying in a deep discount fare class, not only did I receive a CPU at the window, but I SDC'd to a different flight and again received a CPU within the hour.

If you think that somehow low fare classes are barred from or disadvantaged in pre-gate (EUA) SDC just because you've had a few bad experiences, you're suffering from the availability heuristic.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
"You earn PQD for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on qualifying tickets. "

Is "International surcharge" (?!?!) a "carrier-imposed surcharge"?
If it is, I'm probably in decent shape, if not, I'm in big trouble. This isn't clear to me and has not been addressed in the FAQs.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Ok, I'm not a MP member, so maybe I'm way off on this idea, but seems to me there's an easy way to balance the desire to make the benefits more attractive to the best customers who spend a lot and still allow the current benefits to those who don't spend enough to make these newly imposed limits.
This is a good balance. If you fly 100K but don't meet the 1K spend, you don't get slapped in the face and lose status altogether. If you spend $7,500, you still get Platinum Status. If you spend $5,000 doing it, you still get Gold. The problem (just like on DL) is that some people are now finding it a little difficult to swallow that DL and UA are becoming less and less impressed with "how far you fly". Using DL routes as an example: Passenger A flies ATL-DCA nearly every week. Passenger B flies ATL-LAX every week. Passenger B easily makes the top elite tier with close to 200,000 elite miles. Passenger B barely makes Gold on elite miles and will only make Platinum if he/she flies 50 weeks of the year and qualifies on segments. If passenger A and passenger B are paying the same or even similar fares (and it's more likely Passenger A is paying HIGHER fares), it's time we stop pretending Passenger B is more valuable simply because he/she flies longer distances. Without understanding how much you spend to do it, your BIS miles are no longer impressive.

Originally Posted by dulcamara
If it is, I'm probably in decent shape, if not, I'm in big trouble. This isn't clear to me and has not been addressed in the FAQs.
See the first post. Just like with DL, fuel surchages (YQ) will count towards EQDs.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by mduell
As Aaron made clear, carrier-imposed surcharges are included in PQD.

So you're earning 1290 PQD (774+516) on a $1440 ticket, or 90% PQD earning.
This wasn't clear to me and still isn't,
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:51 am

This wasn't clear to me and still isn't,
Pretty clear...

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,
Yes. In 2014, YQ is a ‘carrier-imposed surcharge’ that we currently intend to include in PQDs.
What should have you worried is the mention of 2014. It could have just been an addition to make it clear or it could have been a slip that in 2015 YQ may not be factored into PQDs.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Maybe this has been asked already but I haven't seen it. Wouldn't it seem logical to include Premier Maximizer purchases as PQD? Otherwise, where's the incentive to pay up? Maybe Premier Maximizer will just go away...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.