Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 27, 14, 7:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: iluv2fly
Wiki Link
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 13, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
Almost switched to the 1.5mile/dollar card after having a friendly chat with one of the credit card representatives at a kiosk outside the United Club at EWR. So glad I didn't. Hopefully I'll still be glad after 2015, but who knows.
Yea, I kept it for the Club membership but now, whenever I pull that little sucker out of my wallet I can't help but smile. It seems to be a lucky charm.
Old Jun 19, 13, 9:53 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by charliechill View Post
This is unfortunate for me. This is the first year I have tried for status ever, and by the end of the year I'll be Gold with UA, all on my own dime and all with leisure travel. I had to choose one airline to be loyal to, and I was excited and pleased with the thought of a long relationship with UA (even with all its faults). Sadly, now with the PQD idea, I just can't justify any loyalty. I'll go back to doing what I did last year and the years before that--find the cheapest fare on any airline and forget about loyalty or status.

I live in a DL hub. Last year I flew UA once, and by the end of this year I'll have six flights on UA because I saw value in trying to achieve status. Now that the value is gone, I can only assume I'll go back to how I did things in previous years, and fly UA less frequently. Tell me how this is good business, please.
+1
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian View Post

Originally Posted by charliechill View Post
This is unfortunate for me. This is the first year I have tried for status ever, and by the end of the year I'll be Gold with UA, all on my own dime and all with leisure travel. I had to choose one airline to be loyal to, and I was excited and pleased with the thought of a long relationship with UA (even with all its faults). Sadly, now with the PQD idea, I just can't justify any loyalty. I'll go back to doing what I did last year and the years before that--find the cheapest fare on any airline and forget about loyalty or status.

I live in a DL hub. Last year I flew UA once, and by the end of this year I'll have six flights on UA because I saw value in trying to achieve status. Now that the value is gone, I can only assume I'll go back to how I did things in previous years, and fly UA less frequently. Tell me how this is good business, please.
+1
charliechill is not the only one. This is my second year with status.

I got Silver last year after switching from AC in the middle of the year on the recommendation of the only one of my friends who flies UA. (The rest of my friends refuse to fly UA.) If I had credited all my 2012 flights to MP, I would have gotten Gold in 2012.

I just got Gold last week and am gearing up for Plat or 1K in 2013.

When the new Silver Line opens on the DC Metro, I will have access to DCA and the new US/AA hub there. VX flies IAD-SFO/LAX for the same price (or less) as UA. B6 flies IAD-BOS for a lot less than UA. US has reasonable non-stop A fares to PHX. Alaska flies non-stop to SEA/PDX. And WN just introduced a non-stop route to DEN!

I would appreciate if UA Insider could ask SMI/J why I should bother with UA beyond Gold (so I can feel like a human being when I travel to places like RAP, CHS, SLC, BOI, GJT, ABQ, ORD, etc.) - and I can get Gold based on base airfare spend alone (I audited my records this evening), ignoring the MP Explorer card I have (and might payoff and close if I'm not flying UA as much any more).

Last edited by vandrei; Jun 19, 13 at 11:07 pm
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I'm curious about the $25k spend option. Normally all the benefit of that spend would flow to Chase, with Chase paying United 0.8 cents per mile or whatever their negotiated rate is. Does this change mean that Chase will give United a bonus, a threshold payment if you will, for customers who exceed $25k in a calendar year?

I realize that I'm asking for speculation, whether informed or not.
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat; UA 1MM (former 1K)
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I think the bigger problem will be on 4/23/15 when UA finds some "mistake" and claws back PQD from thousands of elites who thought they were secure based on the display of the tracker.
Going over this year's flights, every future EWR-SFO round trip has repriced on me. For example, I purchased one trip at 389.00 + 21.80 = 410.80, which now breaks down as 361.86 + 48.94 = 410.80. Several more were 344.00 + 21.80 = 365.80, and are now 320.00 + 45.80 = 365.80.

My best guess is that when taxes go up between purchase and departure, United fixes the fare to compensate, rather than asking us to pony up more money. Will this effect drag people under, who were just making the spend according to their planning? Has United realized this could be an issue yet?

(I realize that this is becoming a write-only thread except for diehards. I pay eGullet $50 a year and I'd gladly pay flyertalk $50 a year, for some pro services like "thread on one page" to facilitate this-thread-only searches. I tried tuning SiteSucker to just fetch the pages of this thread, but gave up, not worth it.)
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I'm curious about the $25k spend option. Normally all the benefit of that spend would flow to Chase, with Chase paying United 0.8 cents per mile or whatever their negotiated rate is. Does this change mean that Chase will give United a bonus, a threshold payment if you will, for customers who exceed $25k in a calendar year?

I realize that I'm asking for speculation, whether informed or not.
There's a 10,000 mile bonus on the Explorer card at $25k. Not sure what the economics of that are, but they probably involve Chase paying UA a bunch of money.
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Syzygies View Post
Going over this year's flights, every future EWR-SFO round trip has repriced on me. For example, I purchased one trip at 389.00 + 21.80 = 410.80, which now breaks down as 361.86 + 48.94 = 410.80. Several more were 344.00 + 21.80 = 365.80, and are now 320.00 + 45.80 = 365.80.

My best guess is that when taxes go up between purchase and departure, United fixes the fare to compensate, rather than asking us to pony up more money. Will this effect drag people under, who were just making the spend according to their planning? Has United realized this could be an issue yet?

(I realize that this is becoming a write-only thread except for diehards. I pay eGullet $50 a year and I'd gladly pay flyertalk $50 a year, for some pro services like "thread on one page" to facilitate this-thread-only searches. I tried tuning SiteSucker to just fetch the pages of this thread, but gave up, not worth it.)
That's just a limitation of the website. It always shows less taxes at the point where you buy the ticket and get the confirmation compared to the formal eTicket and receipt that arrives shortly thereafter. I always wait for the eTicket and receipt to put the fare/taxes into my tracking spreadsheet.
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by scottish_colin View Post
That's just a limitation of the website. It always shows less taxes at the point where you buy the ticket and get the confirmation compared to the formal eTicket and receipt that arrives shortly thereafter. I always wait for the eTicket and receipt to put the fare/taxes into my tracking spreadsheet.
So... we can't even know, when we're buying the tickets, how many PQD we'll earn? We have to wait until it tickets and check the receipt? That seems like something that absolutely needs fixing before next year.
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by penner42 View Post
So... we can't even know, when we're buying the tickets, how many PQD we'll earn? We have to wait until it tickets and check the receipt? That seems like something that absolutely needs fixing before next year.
Welcome to my world!

- From a VX Gold
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by scottish_colin View Post
This is another example of UA's credibility gap on their ability to competently determine and track PQD spend. On top of the murkiness and user-unfriendliness in planning one's spend to achieve desired PQD, it's why the thresholds should simply be sufficiently padded to account for taxes. Count all UA spend based on transaction totals (except gift certs, etc.) and this will be less of a chore for everyone.
Old Jun 19, 13, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Well this sucks.......

At Least the news didn't break on a Friday.
Old Jun 19, 13, 11:09 pm

Programs: VAG
Since "What if I depart in December and return in January?" is an unanswered question, I'd also like to add "What happens if I depart in January and land in December?"

If United doesn't want to deal with this problem then they shouldn't have a daytime GUM-HNL flight.
Old Jun 19, 13, 11:20 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Since "What if I depart in December and return in January?" is an unanswered question, I'd also like to add "What happens if I depart in January and land in December?"

If United doesn't want to deal with this problem then they shouldn't have a daytime GUM-HNL flight.
My guess is that it would split in half, part for 2014 and part for 2013, but who knows. I bet UA didn't think about this situation

I am going to try that one year and get to do New Year's twice, although I'm not sure if New Year's is fun in GUM.
Old Jun 19, 13, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
My guess is that it would split in half, part for 2014 and part for 2013, but who knows. I bet UA didn't think about this situation

I am going to try that one year and get to do New Year's twice, although I'm not sure if New Year's is fun in GUM.
I guess only the date of the first flight in one fare component matters.

MNL-GUM 12/31/2013 (+1 day)
GUM-HNL 1/1/2014 (-1 day)
HNL-*** 12/31/2013 (+1 day)

I don't think the above itinerary would qualify you for PQD in 2014 even though GUM-HNL is in 2014...
Old Jun 19, 13, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
...How much time do we have to spend to figure out which segments are "eligible" or not...How will anyone really know if they're hitting it or not? And how much effort will be required to determine same?
This, to me, is one of the biggest hassles. Right now near the end of the year one checks PQMs and uses Award Accelerator or FLEX EQMs or MRs to hit an elite level, all the while tracking PQMs earned on credit cards to see that they are credited and whether or not they will hit in the right year, and whether or not you are over the card spend PQM limit ($5,000/yr in my case). Whew! And now there is an extra thing to track, PQD. This is even going to be more fun, as you are buying a ticket for travel in Dec and you are trying to figure out what the PQD will be. Add another column to your UA spreadsheet!

Last edited by economyplusfan; Jun 20, 13 at 12:41 am Reason: PQD

Search this Thread
Search Engine: