Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book reward flight on 757-200 in Business/first? (Lay flat)

Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:29 pm
xp0
Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone else experienced a similar problem, if this is just the "way it is" or this is a glitch?

I am looking at flights going from SFO-JFK at a few different dates in July and I noticed when I look at the view seating chart it shows seats 1a-3d being the business class orange color and being available (lay flat) however whenever I try and actually go through to book my ticket and select seat I am only able to book seats 5a-11f ... even the seats 1-3 are still "business".

Am I SOL? Is this just a bug? I know that the 757-200 "ps" is moving to a 2 class plane ... is this transition and I cant book them? I am looking to do a reward seat and wanted to get my wife a more comfortable one because she will be pretty pregnant at that point (Still fine to fly).

Thanks in advance

Last edited by xp0; Jun 17, 2013 at 9:30 pm Reason: edited title
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
yeah this might have to do with the ps reconfiguration. in the old ps planes, 1-3 are first class, so maybe there is a discrepancy between the seat maps and the booking class for that particular flight. you might be able to call and have someone override it if it is that important to be in rows 1-3. i dont fly ps but my understanding is that on the new product the business class cabin is more than 3 rows...?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:03 pm
xp0
Original Poster

Yeah I will have to try calling, but figured I would ask.

According to the seat map only the first 3 rows are lay flat seats and the rest of the rows are just recliners.

On my flight out to the west coast the plane must be fully converted because it is like 14 rows of lay flat business seats.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xp0
Yeah I will have to try calling, but figured I would ask.

According to the seat map only the first 3 rows are lay flat seats and the rest of the rows are just recliners.

On my flight out to the west coast the plane must be fully converted because it is like 14 rows of lay flat business seats.
that is an old config plane so to get into the lay flat you would have to pony up another 10k miles and the booking class (O or ON) would have to be available. business award books into I or IN depending on your status.

to be honest the business class recliners on the old config planes are more comforable than the F seats from what i have heard. also a good chance the new config will be subbed in if the flight is far into the future so just book the I class ticket and pick row 9 if it is open!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ddrost1
that is an old config plane so to get into the lay flat you would have to pony up another 10k miles and the booking class (O or ON) would have to be available. business award books into I or IN depending on your status.

to be honest the business class recliners on the old config planes are more comforable than the F seats from what i have heard. also a good chance the new config will be subbed in if the flight is far into the future so just book the I class ticket and pick row 9 if it is open!
All PS flights are being marketed as 2-class flights only now so literally F awards don't exist for the PS flight it's all BF sold at business / domestic F prices. On old planes I believe that rows 1-3 are only open to elites (sold as J but open to elites in an E+ manner - I have a future award flight LAX - JFK that allowed me to select rows 1-3 as a 1K so I know the system will allow people to select these seats on an award ticket). If you aren't an elite you can't select them (though you may be able to call in and explain the situation and find a helpful CSR if you aren't an elite). Also keep in mind that F on old-style PS flights are not the new BF lie-flat but the old angled lie flat while rows 5 - 11 will be barcaloungers (row 9 is great though with your wife pregnant this is probably a situation where the angled lie flat is better but definitely snag row 9 in the interim if possible). Try different times of the day in July and see if any seat maps are showing the new configuration (though there is a chance of plane substitutions and the configuration could change last minute).

More information can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...update-40.html
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:08 am
xp0
Original Poster

Thanks a lot guys. I called and spoke to a very nice agent who helped me changing my seats after I booked while on the phone.

Will be nice when all the planes are changed/reconfigured
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ddrost1
Not correct. ps now books into only two cabins, Y and BF. The front cabin on the old 3 class configuration is now reserved for elites. This is well publicized and there's a lengthy thread on the subject:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-update.html
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not correct. ps now books into only two cabins, Y and BF. The front cabin on the old 3 class configuration is now reserved for elites. This is well publicized and there's a lengthy thread on the subject:

thanks for the correction. shows how much i fly ps (never).
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Kacee

and non-elites who were ticketed with F or FN before June 6th.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by handlebear
and non-elites who were ticketed with F or FN before June 6th.
Right, thanks. I'd sure be po'ed if I'd paid for that.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:55 pm
Suspended

keep in mind that within 72 hours of teh flight they cant assign any of the old F seats even to a 1K, its Gate assignment only

My ps LAX-JFK went from new config to the PMUA 24 hrs before the flight. So I went from 1B on the new to a window in 8 on the old. I dont care for window seats, no one at the 1K desk or Web -support was able to help me , nor at the check-in kyosk

Kept being told its Gate only @ T-72

Guess I wont have to worry about this after 12/31/14 as my days as a 1K are now very limited and will be down to 2 RPUs. Looks like I will be back to PHL as my home base, better % of CPUs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.