FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1476887-ua-mailing-blue-bag-handle-wraps-1k-gs-customers-new-design-2024-a.html)

laughinlab2001 Dec 9, 2019 10:05 am

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Just spoke with MileagePlus to roll over 80 +P points that were set to expire by end of January 2020 and request a new yellow handle wrap for Mrs. Laughinlab. They told me that the yellow handle wraps are going away and will be replaced with Robin’s Egg Blue wraps that will be sent out in the new welcome kits for 2020.

fumje Dec 9, 2019 10:08 am

I think it is normal that they do not send new wraps out between about December and Februrary.

As for the yellow to blue change: they are really committed to shaking off all the legacy 1K flyers!

1k-all-the-way Dec 9, 2019 10:54 am

Well I always wondered if they would change the look....seems like anybody who has ever been a 1k at any time over the past few years gets grandfathered in by keeping the yellow ones.....

drewguy Dec 9, 2019 11:42 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 31821890)
Well I always wondered if they would change the look....seems like anybody who has ever been a 1k at any time over the past few years gets grandfathered in by keeping the yellow ones.....

Grandfathered in to the random possibility your bag comes out sooner on RJs . . .

Kacee Dec 9, 2019 11:56 am

I first read that as "change the lock." Which is conceptually exactly what they're doing ;)

uastarflyer Dec 9, 2019 12:20 pm

Yellow is CO color palette. Oscar finally erased it as a corporate color. Makes sense.

transiting FRA and MUC this past week though, LH has a Taj Mahal effort on its hands to rid the yellow. Everything there is yellow.

greenpau Dec 9, 2019 12:34 pm

My better half and I checked our bags at MEX and left the wraps on the handles ... both bags arrived at SFO with them removed ... no doubt currently being flogged on eBay as we speak. Hopefully the new blue will nip some of that in the bud.

drewguy Dec 9, 2019 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 31822254)
My better half and I checked our bags at MEX and left the wraps on the handles ... both bags arrived at SFO with them removed ... no doubt currently being flogged on eBay as we speak. Hopefully the new blue will nip some of that in the bud.

Nah - the blue ones will be valuable. Your next trip you'll have the blue ones removed, to be replaced by some useless yellow ones.

narvik Dec 9, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 31822208)
Yellow is CO color palette. Oscar finally erased it as a corporate color. Makes sense.

And I thought they were yellow because of visibility, not because of some corporate thing.

uastarflyer Dec 9, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31822332)
And I thought they were yellow because of visibility, not because of some corporate thing.

Purple would have worked.

greenpau Dec 9, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 31822294)
Nah - the blue ones will be valuable. Your next trip you'll have the blue ones removed, to be replaced by some useless yellow ones.

Oh, agreed ... I meant killing the existing "black market" for the yellow ones ... I am using superglue with my robin's egg one.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 9, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31822127)
I first read that as "change the lock." Which is conceptually exactly what they're doing ;)

I’d think they’d keep yellow through 2020 and the send new a new color out as people qualify for 2021, as that’s the year status reflects the new hurdles.

I don’t use them anyway - makes grip more difficult and I’m rarely on a RJ where it might be useful.

TravellingMan Dec 9, 2019 1:48 pm

The "lookalike" handle wraps also have to change. I see a lot of look alike Yellow handle wraps that were aimed to mimic the real thing. EBay sellers have to order the right blue...:)

dmurphynj Dec 9, 2019 1:58 pm

Say what you will, I have *excellent* success with the baggage handles making a difference when gate checking. Even at EWR, it works and works well. 1K bags always come out first.... zero complaints from me. Suggest having them on the "top" vs. "side" handle of your carryon bag, though. I think they're easier to see that way when lined up on the luggage carts.

riphamilton Dec 9, 2019 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 31822337)
Oh, agreed ... I meant killing the existing "black market" for the yellow ones ... I am using superglue with my robin's egg one.

that’s a great idea. now i just have to find a bag that will last as long as the superglue will.