Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
UA switched to a tri-color bag handle wraps (in post 233) in Feb 2024.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

older wiki content
UA switched to Blue bag handle wraps (picture below) in late 2019/early 2020 from the previous Yellow/Gold
UA started distributing the blue version and due to COVID cutbacks stopped
In Feb 2022 some distribution has restarted, unclear who is receiving these initial wraps

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery
New Blue (2019/2020 version)

Old Yellow / Gold

Thread archive:
UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Well, I guess we will be able to id the de-flocked 1Ks (such as myself) easily in the future -- we will be the ones with the gold wraps.
The thing is, they sell every color under the rainbow now. It would be easy to get a match close enough to fool a busy baggage handler. I’m actually surprised people aren’t already doing that — or are they?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by chavala
The thing is, they sell every color under the rainbow now. It would be easy to get a match close enough to fool a busy baggage handler. I’m actually surprised people aren’t already doing that — or are they?
Next thing we know they'll be adding NFC chips with your MP number.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by televisor
Next thing we know they'll be adding NFC chips with your MP number.
Some baggage handlers can’t even recognize a premier bag tag, what makes you think that they’re gonna use a NFC chip reader?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:19 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I guess we'll get yet another change after the 2020 calendar year when everyone believes there will be a precipitous drop in requalifying 1Ks due to PQPs. I haven't received my 1K kit yet so I can't post a photo of the blue handle.

-RM
I hope they'll be able to eliminate the wraps entirely with more CRJ550s entering service and green tags becoming a part of history!

Cause it only helps at a few airports. DEN for example, just dumps all the bags at once, so having a yellow wrap doesn't make any difference. In fact, they once forgot my bag in the plane at another regional airport and the pilot had to let the ground crew know that we were missing a green-tag with a yellow wrap.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by tryathlete
slow the thieves down with a few zip ties?
I used a cable tie on mine to keep it from "falling" off
SPN Lifer and kirkt like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:58 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
^ Which is what I do
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
People have been doing that for years -- see links to Amazon and elsewhere in UA Mailing Yellow Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, [still requestable]
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:30 pm

Photo attached for anyone who is curious.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mr8
I hope they'll be able to eliminate the wraps entirely with more CRJ550s entering service and green tags becoming a part of history!
Given the number of CR2, CR7, and E145s I think the 550s will remain a small subset overall. But perhaps the standard in some markets (but apparently not out here in the west?).
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I used a cable tie on mine to keep it from "falling" off
Great idea!

One of mine "fell off" some time ago. But I made it to 1K in 2019, so now I'll have the blue ones that might "fall off."
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Oh great. The yellow already had a low success rate. Not a lot of faith the baggage handlers will be retrained to spot blue.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:02 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jnb_tx
Photo attached for anyone who is curious.
Nice touch to add the Delta triangles.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thumbs up

^ That's what we did
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I’d think they’d keep yellow through 2020 and the send new a new color out as people qualify for 2021, as that’s the year status reflects the new hurdles.

I don’t use them anyway - makes grip more difficult and I’m rarely on a RJ where it might be useful.
yup 2021 United will lose the majority of its 1k flyers that are international, and pick up a huge number of domestic flyers, who will be using POINTS to upgrade domestic flights. however mid 2020 United will wake up and go what happened to all the non US customers?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tshirt
yup 2021 United will lose the majority of its 1k flyers that are international, and pick up a huge number of domestic flyers, who will be using POINTS to upgrade domestic flights. however mid 2020 United will wake up and go what happened to all the non US customers?
If they're retaining all of the international 1K flyers that fly business (which I don't see why they wouldn't), I don't know that they'd have any problem with this. Also not sure why they would pick up a ton of domestic flyers - the number of people who are spending 18k+ but weren't hitting the 100k PQM threshold (which by the way is easier in domestic first as you get 2-3x multipliers on the distance flown in PQM) is likely very small. Seems all very predictable (not surprising to United) as they can calculate these numbers based on historicals. And I don't think the location of flyers they're rewarding matters if they're the most profitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.