Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
UA switched to a tri-color bag handle wraps (in post 233) in Feb 2024.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

older wiki content
UA switched to Blue bag handle wraps (picture below) in late 2019/early 2020 from the previous Yellow/Gold
UA started distributing the blue version and due to COVID cutbacks stopped
In Feb 2022 some distribution has restarted, unclear who is receiving these initial wraps

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery
New Blue (2019/2020 version)

Old Yellow / Gold

Thread archive:
UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
... they would rather have someone who is flying those segments in business class (and thus clear the 24k requirement making the flight #'s a null issue).
I understand the idea of making 1K sort of GS-lite. But most of the current population of 1K's would not remain loyal if demoted to Platinum.
Same for me, my PQD is low because I also fly non-UA in both Premium Economy and Business class - simply because the routes and service matter to me.

But UA is making this all very moot, given the crap in December with cancelled flights, delayed flights and non-posting partner flights, misappropriated PlusPoints, 36 hours without luggage, severely damaged Wine-Check, 3rd bag-fee charged (partially refunded, still ongoing), strange CC charges on days I didn't fly them, etc ... Service Recovery so far is well below what it used to be, and in the end that's what also shapes loyalty - how you make up for it makes or breaks a loyalty relationship.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2020 at 11:11 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Every few months someone says that there handle wraps get stolen and always find this in some ways humerus but I guess they actually do sell them on Ebay.
This tickled my funny bone.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
This tickled my funny bone.
I was also going to make a bone pun, but decided to keep at arms length.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jupper
I understand the idea of making 1K sort of GS-lite.
I don't think UA has any plans to do that. But they'd certainly like people to think that these changes will result in a "thinning of the herd" resulting in enhanced 1K benefits. Having been through this process multiple times since PQD were introduced, I can say pretty confidently that's not going to happen.
Originally Posted by jupper
But most of the current population of 1K's would not remain loyal if demoted to Platinum.
Especially not if already spending over $18k.
jupper and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:43 pm

When did these handle wraps turn Blue? I just got my 1K packet for 2020, and a blue handle wrap was included. This is the first time I've seen or heard of the blue wraps. Is there any difference in terms of how ramp workers interpret the status of a bag with yellow vs. blue?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bh22
When did these handle wraps turn Blue? I just got my 1K packet for 2020, and a blue handle wrap was included. This is the first time I've seen or heard of the blue wraps. Is there any difference in terms of how ramp workers interpret the status of a bag with yellow vs. blue?
If I flew UAX enough that it mattered, I’d hope the baggage handlers would give priority to the blue ones and ignore the yellow.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If I flew UAX enough that it mattered, I’d hope the baggage handlers would give priority to the blue ones and ignore the yellow.
I don't fly UAX often enough that it matters and I still hope that baggage handlers give priority to the blue ones and ignore the yellow.
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by bh22
Until 1 February 2020, they're treated the same.

Post Feb. 1, only the blue is supposed to be priority treated.

As with any new policy, ymmv.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wait so they are phasing out the old yellow handle wraps and now they come in blue? Is this because of the new 1K qualification standards?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by fezzington
Until 1 February 2020, they're treated the same.

Post Feb. 1, only the blue is supposed to be priority treated.

As with any new policy, ymmv.
I thought maybe the blue were GS. Guess not...
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I received a yellow handle wrap when I was a 1K many years ago. Now I'm a lowly general member.
Good to hear that the yellow handle wrap will work for another year.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Are they sending one to MM companions also?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lintrix
Wait so they are phasing out the old yellow handle wraps and now they come in blue? Is this because of the new 1K qualification standards?
Likely the system has been flooded with no longer eligible elites and changing colors clears out those folks.
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
I received a yellow handle wrap when I was a 1K many years ago. Now I'm a lowly general member.
Good to hear that the yellow handle wrap will work for another year.
Supposedly not after Feb 1, 2020 (in 2 weeks)
Originally Posted by greg99
Are they sending one to MM companions also?
Not automatically, you may be able to request after mid-February.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Supposedly not after Feb 1, 2020 (in 2 weeks)
Sigh, I still think it’s 2019.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Received mine in the UK today. However I did not get the partner/companion 1K card and cannot remember if it gets sent separately or not, if someone could remind me I would be grateful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.