Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
UA switched to a tri-color bag handle wraps (in post 233) in Feb 2024.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

older wiki content
UA switched to Blue bag handle wraps (picture below) in late 2019/early 2020 from the previous Yellow/Gold
UA started distributing the blue version and due to COVID cutbacks stopped
In Feb 2022 some distribution has restarted, unclear who is receiving these initial wraps

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery
New Blue (2019/2020 version)

Old Yellow / Gold

Thread archive:
UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, New design 2024

Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
Grandfathered in to the random possibility your bag comes out sooner on RJs . . .
Ha! I never knew those provided special service for when your bag is thrown in the back of CRJs and ERJs. Maybe I'll have to put it back on.

You can learn something every day on FT.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I've used those sewing kits that are often in hotel rooms and spent a few minutes sewing the yellow handle wraps tight onto my luggage handle so that they can't be easily ripped off. Mine has stayed on for a least a couple of years now. Granted, the United logo has worn off, but the wrap is still there!
Silver Fox and greenpau like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All of the people with their imposter yellow handle wraps will need to buy new ones.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Every few months someone says that there handle wraps get stolen and always find this in some ways humerus but I guess they actually do sell them on Ebay. I almost alway check everything with the exception of a computer. I continue to use them "off label" so to say with virtually no noticeable change in baggage priority y.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Every few months someone says that there handle wraps get stolen and always find this in some ways humerus but I guess they actually do sell them on Ebay. I almost alway check everything with the exception of a computer. I continue to use them "off label" so to say with virtually no noticeable change in baggage priority y.
Mine got stolen or removed the first time I put it on and checked it, and I don't find it funny. I didn't search the radius where my bag could have gone for it. Should I call in to MPSC now, ulna I get a blue one later? Will they charge me an arm (but not a leg) for it?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
Mine got stolen or removed the first time I put it on and checked it, and I don't find it funny. I didn't search the radius where my bag could have gone for it. Should I call in to MPSC now, ulna I get a blue one later? Will they charge me an arm (but not a leg) for it?
Sorry didn't mean to make light of your situation but it amazes me of the low life individual that would steal and then possibly sell a friggin handle wrap. It's like the guy who peals registration stickers off of license plates and sells them in some low end theft market. Just beyond strange but it is a strange world we live in.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
They won't input orders right now, and can't until January. If they are scaling out the new blue ones in January, you may have to wait.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Nah - the blue ones will be valuable. Your next trip you'll have the blue ones removed, to be replaced by some useless yellow ones.
slow the thieves down with a few zip ties?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Originally Posted by greenpau
They won't input orders right now, and can't until January. If they are scaling out the new blue ones in January, you may have to wait.
MileagePlus told me they can't ship out additional new handles until after mid-February.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laughinlab2001
MileagePlus told me they can't ship out additional new handles until after mid-February.
Right, apparently no orders until after Jan 10th and ship February ... but it sounds like the scale out of the Robin's egg blue wraps are being scaled out.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Mine got stolen or removed the first time I put it on and checked it, and I don't find it funny.
I bought those cable-tie velcro straps and wrapped one around each end, and wrapped so they unwrap in opposite direction. Figure if someone really wants it, short of using a knife might as well make them work at it! Has lasted years.

And FWIW flying domestic and on lots of regional jets, 95% of the time works like it is supposed to, 5% comes out dead last.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I think it is normal that they do not send new wraps out between about December and Februrary.

As for the yellow to blue change: they are really committed to shaking off all the legacy 1K flyers!
I know! The handle wrap was the tiny little vestige of a "soft landing" when I don't make status again. At least I could get my gate checked bag like I was a 1K. Oh well.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Received the new wrap

Well I received my GS credentials today and I can confirm they have switched to the new blue color.

Much prefer the yellow but I guess it does help with a reset away from folks who haven’t requalified as the revenue requirements have increased. Robin’s egg blue seems accurate - it’s very light. Has a simple pattern on it as well as the black united logo grip.

Kit also came with a wireless charger.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well, I guess we will be able to id the de-flocked 1Ks (such as myself) easily in the future -- we will be the ones with the gold wraps.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I guess we'll get yet another change after the 2020 calendar year when everyone believes there will be a precipitous drop in requalifying 1Ks due to PQPs. I haven't received my 1K kit yet so I can't post a photo of the blue handle.

-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.