Miles to Europe plus Amex membership rewards

Old Jun 17, 13, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Miles to Europe plus Amex membership rewards

I am trying to plan a trip to Europe for 4 people next July or August (2014). I have enough points for 3.5 tickets. I recently picked up a gold Amex for 85k points. I was foolishly planning to transfer membership rewards points into my ual account to give me enough for 4 round trips. But, of course, I just realizd I can't transfer membership rewards points to ual.

So I am wondering if I could transfer 30k membership rewards points to air Canada and book the final half of a ticket on united using air Canada points. I've never used air Canada points. Is this possible? Is there a better strategy?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Jun 17, 13, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You'd better check the Aeroplan redemption chart first. I believe that Aeroplan charges more than 50% of the roundtrip mileage for a one-way award.
Old Jun 17, 13, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
By transferring points to AC you can indeed book a ticket but you'll need to follow AC's regs and point costs and fee schedules.
Old Jun 17, 13, 2:00 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Transfer enough to AC for a RT ticket and the cost will be more or less the same if you stick to UA where no fuel charge is charged.
Old Jun 17, 13, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
As mentioned, AC will not be 50% of mileage required.

Depending on airlines used, the one-way ticket may also come with a $500+ price tag in surcharges.

Make sure you know exactly how much and how many points the AC ticket would be before transferring.
Old Jun 17, 13, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I checked the Air Canada website and one ways go for 40K instead of 30K. In looking for an easier option, I think I may apply for a Chase Ink card and transfer the miles directly to my UAL account.

Any other thoughts on better options are most welcome. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 13, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdflyer04 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I checked the Air Canada website and one ways go for 40K instead of 30K. In looking for an easier option, I think I may apply for a Chase Ink card and transfer the miles directly to my UAL account.

Any other thoughts on better options are most welcome. Thanks.
Sapphire
MP Explorer
Old Jun 17, 13, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, AA PPro
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Sapphire
MP Explorer
Ink Bold or + (business cards) 60k points this week
MP Explorer Business card 50k miles
Old Jun 17, 13, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Is it possible to qualify for a business card even you you technically don't have your own business?

Search this Thread