Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Article: Smisek says UA on the Mend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by demkr
Yeah, cut the premium product to save $200K. Really smart :Rolleyes:

Though, this is the first post-merger article I've seen acknowledging that changes to the FF program is what angered people. Of course, those changes appear to be staying..
Is the switch to whole cashews really, honestly, truly a "cut"?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Darlox
Yes and no... The little things are little, until a pile of them becomes big. It's ironic that he points out stuff like this in the same article that he admits they "changed too much too fast".

Customers rarely notice teeny tiny changes. But eventually you cross an invisible threshold where everything gets noticed, all at once. I think there's been ample FT threads pointing out the degradation of foodservice in GF/J/F, so the overall downgrade HAS been noticed. Frankly, nobody would have noticed this if he hadn't opened his mouth! But now when I'm in F this coming Tuesday, I'm going to stare at the nuts and laugh... then sigh.
Including the reduction/elimination of F on a lot of domestic travel.

Who's going to notice the nut cuts if there isn't as much F space to go around to begin with?

You are right tho, there is a point where something will catch my eye and then I start getting a little more scrutinizing about stuff and become fed up when i realize its pretty cheap.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Here you go

http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/t...d-says-ceo.htm
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
So he's been telling the investor calls for a solid year that the airline's in good shape, everything's looking up, we're right on track, etc., and now he looks back on the last year and tells the WSJ things were "awful." Interesting.
Very well put.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Quote:
Mr. Smisek said he takes inspiration from Delta, "which is doing quite well, which I'm delighted with because they're two years ahead of us" in absorbing its 2008 acquisition of Northwest Airlines.

Delta last month announced plans to begin paying a quarterly dividend of six cents a share, and to buy back $500 million of its stock.

Mr. Smisek said United has "absolutely every intention of paying a dividend to our shareholders. The time is not right now, but the time will come."
Originally Posted by edcho
Interesting statement he's made at the end:
However, DL actually increase "service" to get revenue while United lower "service" to save (actually lose) money.
DL can success is not because of cutting corners (DL FFP does) while UA is only thinking how to cutting corners.....

Last edited by pigx5; Jun 16, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:28 pm

Thanks! This works ... ^

OT, but somewhat related: Googling the WSJ headline no longer works (atleast for me and looks like one other person on this thread). If this is a common problem, then perhaps we might want to revisit sharing the WSJ links.

"Customers don't care if it's a whole nut or split in half," Mr. Smisek said
But they do care about nut jobs running the airline

Last edited by malgudi; Jun 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Including the reduction/elimination of F on a lot of domestic travel.

Who's going to notice the nut cuts if there isn't as much F space to go around to begin with?
If people were actually paying F fares for their F seats, then I'm sure there'd be absolutely no way they'd be eliminating F seats.

If I were running UA, the first thing I'd do would be the complete abolition of UDUs. If you want a seat in F, you gotta pay for it, with dollars or miles. I might lower F fares and mileage upgrade fees while I was at it. Then, once customers had been trained to quit expecting free upgrades, I might start thinking about making domestic F a worthwhile experience again.

That'd be short term pain (for the airline, not just the customers, as planes would be flying with more empty seats) but long term gain. Sometimes it really does make sense to fire your most over-entitled customers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by Jorgen
If people were actually paying F fares for their F seats, then I'm sure there'd be absolutely no way they'd be eliminating F seats.

If I were running UA, the first thing I'd do would be the complete abolition of UDUs. If you want a seat in F, you gotta pay for it, with dollars or miles. I might lower F fares and mileage upgrade fees while I was at it. Then, once customers had been trained to quit expecting free upgrades, I might start thinking about making domestic F a worthwhile experience again.

That'd be short term pain (for the airline, not just the customers, as planes would be flying with more empty seats) but long term gain. Sometimes it really does make sense to fire your most over-entitled customers.
That's why many people like to fly DL since they have more F seats than UA for upgrade for domestic market. DL is earning money.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Most telling quote of the article to me was this one especially the part in bold (not that I'm surprised by the comment). It just reaffirms to me that most of what we see now is the way it's going to be. Smisek is too committed to this approach to turn back now.

"'For far too long, we've operated this company as an airline: Airlines don't make money,' Mr. Smisek said. He wants employees to view United as a business. 'That means constantly looking at ways to do things smarter and less expensively.'"
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks...that one worked...no logging in required
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I'm curious about the revamped employee shuttle-bus system @ ORD. I wonder if those who actually use the system have seen a difference (decline or otherwise) in service.

Normally these kind of "changes" work best for those that are not impacted.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Darlox
Yes and no... The little things are little, until a pile of them becomes big. It's ironic that he points out stuff like this in the same article that he admits they "changed too much too fast".

Customers rarely notice teeny tiny changes. But eventually you cross an invisible threshold where everything gets noticed, all at once. I think there's been ample FT threads pointing out the degradation of foodservice in GF/J/F, so the overall downgrade HAS been noticed. Frankly, nobody would have noticed this if he hadn't opened his mouth! But now when I'm in F this coming Tuesday, I'm going to stare at the nuts and laugh... then sigh.
As someone who buys the cashew pieces instead of whole cashews at Trader Joe's, I totally understand the savings and will smile the next time I see them on-board. I have no objection to these sort of cuts and welcome them.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
I'd rather they cut the nut than cut the ff program

But the one thing I can't quite figure out is how they intend to increase revenue. At some point you need to actually build your business. You can't cut to profitability.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Let's see....DL adds F seats, makes sure virtually every plane has wifi, comps snacks in coach to DMs (and I believe lower tiers too)--- all for quite a few years no), UA guts F seats, makes upgrade process arcane, rewards single flight fare class over overall loyalty in most cases, doesn't comp food to 1Ks in coach.

Hmm, seems to be doing everything the opposite.

Yes, DL's MQD's sucks. Yes, it's probably coming for UA. But UA DID cut it's FF program in terms of prioritization of upgrades and upgrade windows.

Other than MQDs and the SkyPesos, DL is a far better airline for the domestic upgrader. UA is the worst airline, in my opinion, for that.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by demkr
rewards single flight fare class over overall loyalty in most cases

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.