Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Hi all - sorry for the zombie thread but I need the advice of the knowledgeable and experienced folks here.

I booked partner award tickets (on AC and LOT) to Europe with United, and my wife was ticketed using her un-hyphenated (pre-marriage) surname. Her surname is RidiculouslyLongName-XYZ, where XYZ is literally 3 letters.

After reading all the horror stories above, I'm nervous, but I called United and the agent swore it would be no big deal - she updated the in their systems including in "Secure Flight Information" for TSA and partner airlines.

Also I'm slightly comforted by the folks above saying that only a few letters shouldn't be grounds for denial.

So, what say ye, Flyertalk? Is the agent full of it?

Thanks,
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by tadc
Hi all - sorry for the zombie thread but I need the advice of the knowledgeable and experienced folks here.

I booked partner award tickets (on AC and LOT) to Europe with United, and my wife was ticketed using her un-hyphenated (pre-marriage) surname. Her surname is RidiculouslyLongName-XYZ, where XYZ is literally 3 letters.

After reading all the horror stories above, I'm nervous, but I called United and the agent swore it would be no big deal - she updated the in their systems including in "Secure Flight Information" for TSA and partner airlines.

Also I'm slightly comforted by the folks above saying that only a few letters shouldn't be grounds for denial.

So, what say ye, Flyertalk? Is the agent full of it?

Thanks,
Does she have documents showing both her pre-marriage and post-marriage surnames? Like an old and new passport or marriage certificate? If so, she should just bring these with her and upon request, show them to the agent. The issue of maiden names versus married names (or pre-divorce versus post-divorce names) is very common, and so long as documents justifying the different names can be provided, almost always will not be a problem.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by seenitall
Does she have documents showing both her pre-marriage and post-marriage surnames? Like an old and new passport or marriage certificate? If so, she should just bring these with her and upon request, show them to the agent. The issue of maiden names versus married names (or pre-divorce versus post-divorce names) is very common, and so long as documents justifying the different names can be provided, almost always will not be a problem.
Great idea, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.