Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines- how to change name on a ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:31 am

Wrong spelling

My name is misspelled on my United reservation and the gate and ticket agents said it cannot be changed.
Please advise how I should proceed.
I have identification with the correct spelling.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Msp04977!

Originally Posted by Msp04977
My name is misspelled on my United reservation and the gate and ticket agents said it cannot be changed.
Please advise how I should proceed.
I would follow sbm12's advice above.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: United 1k,, MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (with Ambasador), Herz Pres.Circle
Not to worry!

Last month I flew with my niece to FRA from SFO with Connections to FCO on LH on the same PNR and misspelled her last name by omitting a letter. I discovered it soon after I made the reservation and United was unable to make the change but made a note in the reservation. We had absolutely no problems on both outbound and return...no mentions at all! She even qualified for pre-check with me on same PNR even though she rarely flies and has no status. ( I am a 1 k with global entry). I would not worry.

Last edited by Love2flyfirst; Jun 11, 2016 at 2:32 pm Reason: Posted to wrong post
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2MM; UA LT Gold MM; HH LT Diamond; Marriott Tit LT PLT
It s been probably 20 years, but when making reservations by phone, I gave the agent my wife's name (Marilyn). When we received the tickets in the mail, UA had booked it under in the name of Maryland.

A quick trip to the airport got a UA counter agent who laughingly agreed my wife was not a state. It took about 15 minutes, but she was able to reissue the ticket for the correct name at the same fare, and without a change fee.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:03 pm

I purchased a Farelock for a United flight and after purchasing realized I had misspelled the first name. Instead of Heather, I spelled it Heatherr(an extra r). Can this be fixed when following through and purchasing the ticket or is that name spelling locked in for that particular fare?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:08 pm

The IATA allows for up to three character mistakes unless you mistakenly wrote Dick for Richard(if your ID/Passport is under Dick and you accidentally put down RIchard there may be an issue). If you spelled Richard as Richrd or Ricard and forgot the "h" there should be no issue. The exact name match has to do with the TSA. Now you may forgo TSA Pre Check as your name must match the ID used for Pre Check.

Also you have 24 hours to cancel and rebook. I always look at my itinerary right away and have changed it without any issues as I just cancelled and rebooked it. Once I put in the wrong departure date and just canceled and rebooked and wouldn't you know that error saved me $200 and I got to spend 3 more days at my destination.

Originally Posted by Chetney
It s been probably 20 years, but when making reservations by phone, I gave the agent my wife's name (Marilyn). When we received the tickets in the mail, UA had booked it under in the name of Maryland.

A quick trip to the airport got a UA counter agent who laughingly agreed my wife was not a state. It took about 15 minutes, but she was able to reissue the ticket for the correct name at the same fare, and without a change fee.
This is the reason to bring back call centers to the USA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 16, 2017 at 5:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Campheel
I purchased a Farelock for a United flight and after purchasing realized I had misspelled the first name. Instead of Heather, I spelled it Heatherr(an extra r). Can this be fixed when following through and purchasing the ticket or is that name spelling locked in for that particular fare?
Would not bother -- you will not have any problems with this -- not with UA or TSA.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Campheel
Won't be a problem. Just out of curiosity, does you middle name start with R?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Chetney

When I purchase anything over the phone, I always go over spelling character by character. Bringing call center back to the U.S., as suggested by danielonn, will not help much. Many parents get very creative with their kid's name like abcde, Dafydd vs. David, Braedyn vs. Bradon, Emmalee vs. Emily.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Has anyone successfully been able to remove the "Title" prefix from their name? I've tried doing this through my MileagePlus account profile page to no avail; same with calling the United 1K desk (who transferred me to MileagePlus line). MP line said "We're working on this, but no, I do not know when it will be fixed."

Reason being for removing the "Title" from my name is that it causes problems with automated immigration kiosks (e-channel) at Shanghai-Pudong. When I recently flew on SK PVG-CPH I was able to remove the title prefix and the kiosk worked great. The last time I tried this with a United ticket, it failed. I'd prefer it not to fail so I can skip the long lines!

(And yes, I'm properly signed up for e-channel with a valid Resident Permit for the P.R.C.)
Old May 25, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
User ticketing error - options?

Hello

I'd like help with a problem encountered by my in-laws. They booked a return ticket on United from Columbus, OH to London, England several months ago. The ticket was booked on airfare.com.
All good until they get to the airport yesterday to board their first flight. United point out that they have booked two tickets in my father in-laws name, and nothing in my mother in-laws name. United told them that there was nothing they could do to get my mother in-law on the flight, and unless he wanted to travel by himself, they couldn't proceed. They tried contacting airfare.com but with no luck. As such, they returned home assuming their trip was off. They did eventually get in touch with airfare.com, but by this time the flight had gone and they were told, tough luck.

Complete user error on the part of my father in-law. As such, he takes complete responsibility, and expects to get nothing from this. However, is there anything more that could have been done here. I would have thought United could transfer a ticket from one name to another (even for a fee), but maybe there are restrictions on that? I don't know what the rules are here. Also, are they due back the taxes? I would have thought so, but this has not been offered by United or airfare.com. I am also a bit surprised that neither airfare.com nor United noticed they'd book two seats in the same name, and flagged it. But maybe this is possible for people who need extra space.

As I say, complete user error here, so not expecting anything, but any suggestions for what could have been done, or what could now be done, greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 25, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Name changes on tickets already ticketed are not possible. You can buy two seats for extra space.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless the flight was oversold, it should have been possible to purchase a new ticket for MIL at the airport. Were they not offered this option?

When yo purchase a second seat for more space the first name on the second ticket should be something like XTRSEAT, not the same name as the actual passenger.

Most UA tickets have a residual value, especially if the passenger didn't just no show. Depending on the fare rules, it should be the total ticket price minus a $200 change fee for domestic tickets or minus a change fee of typically about $300-450 for international tickets originating in the USA. The OLTA is likely to charge an additional fee or might even have rules that all of their tickets are unchangeable, although UA would "own" the ticket on the day of departure so it might be possible to pay the UA fees and have UA change the tickets to other travel for FIL (but NOT change a ticket to MIL's name).

Is FIL really sure that it was his error and not a mistake by the OLTA? What names were on the itinerary and ticket receipts?
Old May 25, 2019, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any changes would have to be handled by the third-party vendor and they apparently were not answering the phone. At that point, it was down to purchasing a new ticket for the MIL. Might have been very expensive, but perhaps not. I hope that they at least asked.

As to what happens now, it will depend on the fare rules for the tickets as well as terms imposed over and above those by the vendor. Your inlaws should sit down and read those carefully. They may well have a credit to spend and could apply that to a rebooked trip.

As a general matter, avoid using third-party websites. It adds a layer of complexity. While UA would not have likely changed its own ticket, a supervisor could have worked to cancel the extra ticket and resell in the original booking class. Not certain there was time, but it would have been worth a try.

OP does not need to hear this, but it is a common enough issue for the benefit of others. Always, always, always check the documents once received. The FIL would have seen this in an instant.

Last edited by Often1; May 25, 2019 at 11:33 am
Old May 26, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the replies.

I am not entirely sure how the conversation went at the airport, but they did ask if there was any way they could get on the flight, and told no, so I am guessing there was no seats available. I did wonder if the flight was oversold, and for that reason United had little incentive to help them out. In fact it removed two people from the problem. That is speculation on my part however.

FIL is pretty sure it was his error.

They managed to get here using a pair of buddy passes a friend offered up, so remarkably we've managed to get them here. They plan to follow-up with the OTA on return to see what they might get back.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.