FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   $1500 for Premier Gold on Mileage Runs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1476352-1500-premier-gold-mileage-runs.html)

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2013 3:40 pm

$1500 for Premier Gold on Mileage Runs?

I'm currently a Silver that earns my elite status 100% on personal travel and mileage runs and thanks to FTers like CokeandTaco, I've been finding mileage runs that were in the 2cpm range. I'm thinking about going for Gold next year for $1500 or less by keeping all my MRs at 3cpm or less (with the exception of the obligatory trip to the inlaws in MCI). This leads me to two questions...

#1...How many UA elites earn status based entirely on personal trips and mileage runs?

#2...What's the least amount of money anyone has ever spent to earn their elite status (not counting the DEQMs of the past)??

mgcsinc Jun 15, 2013 3:45 pm

My status (about to be Plat, and 1K by Sept) is entirely based on leisure and the occasional MR-esque trip. I have an SO across the country, and do a transcon every two-three weeks to see her.

burlax Jun 15, 2013 3:50 pm

If you can find MRs at 2cpm and have time to do them, you should go for 1K every year, IMO.

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 20929241)
My status (about to be Plat, and 1K by Sept) is entirely based on leisure and the occasional MR-esque trip. I have an SO across the country, and do a transcon every two-three weeks to see her.

Interesting...I think my first elite card was my AS MVP status I earned while dating my future wife long distance...she lived in Texas and I lived in Oregon (I rescued her from Texas and brought her to God's country... :D)

Originally Posted by burlax (Post 20929253)
If you can find MRs at 2cpm and have time to do them, you should go for 1K every year, IMO.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how many sub 3cpm MRs there have been in the past few years (and not just from my home airport)...the addition of IAH after the merger really helped add EQMs to my trips since it's so far south (from PDX/SEA). The latest 2cpm sale was the PDX-DTW $79 one-way fares last month...amazing...I probably should have bought more than one as I am sure others did.

username Jun 15, 2013 3:59 pm

I would say enjoy the party while it lasts. It is just the matter of time that MileagePlus goes revenue based like Delta.

DL announced in January and it starts next year (i.e. 1/1/2014 for the 2015 membership year will be mile/segment + revenue based).

burlax Jun 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 20929289)
I would say enjoy the party while it lasts. It is just the matter of time that MileagePlus goes revenue based like Delta.

DL announced in January and it starts next year (i.e. 1/1/2014 for the 2015 membership year will be mile/segment + revenue based).

This will be unfortunate. Mostly for DL.

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by burlax (Post 20929329)
This will be unfortunate. Mostly for DL.

There FF program was already the bottom of the barrel...I didn't think it could get much worse...I guess I was wrong.

rankourabu Jun 15, 2013 4:50 pm

question,
why earn status on MRs, only to do more MRs?

I have 1k wrapped up this year - totally on personal trips, I guess one weekend in Vegas could be a sorta considered a mileage run out of all that. Total spend will be under $5k for 1k, includes one RGN mistake trip.

Doing domestic MRs is pure torture.

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20929490)
question,

I have 1k wrapped up this year - totally on personal trips, I guess one weekend in Vegas could be a sorta considered a mileage run out of all that. Total spend will be under $5k for 1k, includes one RGN mistake trip.

Doing domestic MRs is pure torture.

Earning status on MRs means the MR experience is better...for a Silver, that means E+ at T-24 and the potential for an upgrade among other things. The MR experience itself, at least for my wife and I, is like an adventure and gives us a chance to go on a date to wherever the mileage run forum sends us to :) I almost never take a MR without my wife otherwise she wouldn't be able to maintain her status and frankly, it would be a little lonelier :rolleyes: This is the same woman that surprised me with a happy birthday message from Jeff at my 40th birthday party last summer...

http://youtu.be/LJzFnexs4N0

burlax Jun 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20929490)
question,

Because unfortunately sometimes you have to take trips other than MRs. . .

rankourabu Jun 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by burlax (Post 20929613)
Because unfortunately sometimes you have to take trips other than MRs. . .

right, so thats fine, I perfectly understand doing MRs to top up status because its needed on other trips and will be useful in the future for whatever - luggage, upgrades, whatever.

But MR, only to use the status on more MRs?

username Jun 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20929630)

And your point is? :D That is why we have Flyertalk :D

I think some of us are not rational when it comes to miles/statuses. I for one seem to value miles more than real money. For retirment, my goals are 1MM on United and Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, not money in the bank...

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20929630)
right, so thats fine, I perfectly understand doing MRs to top up status because its needed on other trips and will be useful in the future for whatever - luggage, upgrades, whatever.

Remember...for some people it's not about just getting from point A to point B...it's about the journey :) Hard to believe that in this day and age people would actually LIKE flying but the other day, while on a MR, when my wife and I got the CPU on the 787 from ORD-IAH, I could honestly say that I enjoy flying and the whole travel experience...even if we do get stuck sometimes on a CRJ200 :p

Originally Posted by username (Post 20929646)
And your point is? :D That is why we have Flyertalk :D

I think some of us are not rational when it comes to miles/statuses. I for one seem to value miles more than real money. For retirment, my goals are 1MM on United and Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, not money in the bank...

Now we're talking.... :D

rankourabu Jun 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 20929646)
I think some of us are not rational when it comes to miles/statuses.

ok I think that does explain it then :p

I just cant imagine MR'ing continuously - especially domestic USA - where even flying in F is dreadful.

And I do love flying/travelling as much as the next guy. See my signature.
Retirement being a long long time away - I am not banking points, use em as fast as I get em.

PDXPremier Jun 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20929698)
ok I think that does explain it then :p

I just cant imagine MR'ing continuously - especially domestic USA - where even flying in F is dreadful.

And I do love flying/travelling as much as the next guy. See my signature.
Retirement being a long long time away - I am not banking points, use em as fast as I get em.

Took my first international MR to IST (along with every other MRer out there) last February and it was nice partly because of the exotic location compared to say, DTW or LGA, but domestic runs also allow the potential for a rare CPU which of course doesn't apply to most international flights. I know domestic F isn't anything to write home about, but if I have no middle seat, free Direct TV, and a warm chocolate chip cookie (or cinnamon roll in the AM), I'm a happy camper :)