Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1500 for Premier Gold on Mileage Runs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
right, so thats fine, I perfectly understand doing MRs to top up status because its needed on other trips and will be useful in the future for whatever - luggage, upgrades, whatever.

But MR, only to use the status on more MRs?
totally agreed.
I know plenty of people who do MRs to get elite status just for the sake of having the status. It is an obsession or addiction (or sickness?), and can not be explained.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Mama
totally agreed.
I know plenty of people who do MRs to get elite status just for the sake of having the status. It is an obsession or addiction (or sickness?), and can not be explained.
Yeah,I have a friend in that category. He gets really defensive about it. I can see augmenting baseline work/personal travel to reach a level. I don't really get flying 100K in mileage runs when work/personal travel is < 25 K/year.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think this quote from the movie "Up in the Air" sums it up best...

"We’re two people who get turned on by elite status."
- Vera Farmiga as Alex Goran in "Up in the Air"
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
totally agreed.
You're ALL crazy except me, but at least I made 1K getting there (and back)!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
#1...How many UA elites earn status based entirely on personal trips and mileage runs?
[raises hand]

I actually do very little MRing (had one scheduled earlier this year, but cancelled it). I do a lot of short 3-day weekends, 2-day mid-week trips, in conjunction with 2-3 week+ vacations/semi-vacations on longhaul.

Ironically, I used to MR a lot to make 1P (Gold), but as a 1K, it's been over 2 years since I did a true MR where I flew just to earn miles on a good fare. I do look for inexpensive places I'd like to visit, but have real purposes in going there (dental work in BKK, photography in the West, etc.). Closest I have this year is a WAS-ANC trip where I took advantage of the $300-ish fare (in addition to a $500+ ANC trip this summer), but I'm spending several days doing photography, so it's not a MR by any stretch. I'm writing it off on my photography business' taxes, anyway.

Originally Posted by kv99
#2...What's the least amount of money anyone has ever spent to earn their elite status (not counting the DEQMs of the past)??
2008 IIRC was a cheap year for me to make 1K due to all the DEQM promos--both spring and fall, open to everyone, with no registration fees. I flew around 53k BIS miles and made 1K. Still, I had some business travel in the mix that year, which was expensive for the miles earned when compared to MR fares.

I typically spend somewhere around $12k-$16k; not a high-spending 1K, but not a MRer, either. You hear tales of people getting 1K for sub-$3k, but those folks are crazy and few and far between.

Originally Posted by burlax
If you can find MRs at 2cpm and have time to do them, you should go for 1K every year, IMO.
^ indeed!

I'm thrilled when I find a fare to somewhere I actually want to go which costs less than 4cpm, and those are quite rare. For example, the WAS-ANC deal in the 3.2 cpm neighborhood, or DEN-NRT which after rerouting due to the 787 fiasco and the "mistake" B fare came in at 2.2 cpm. I'm usually spending 8cpm+.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I just cant imagine MR'ing continuously - especially domestic USA - where even flying in F is dreadful.
And the fact that it's much less likely on a MR or near-MR fare that one will actually get F these days! It's even less fun when you contemplate dozens of hours of travel in Y, even if you're really looking forward to the destination.

I used to enjoy a transcon hop to go have In-N-Out Burger near LAX (yes, I once did a MR to finish that year's status which involved going to LA, catching the Parking Spot shuttle to In-N-Out, and flying home later that day). Or to see a new airport somewhere. Now, I find it a chore even going somewhere I really want to go--like my recent trip to Yosemite, where I just wanted the flights to end and wasn't looking forward to getting on the plane. The UA experience has just fallen off that much!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Same as above. Typically taking 3-day weekend trip, no pure MRs. I don't aim for 1K, PP or even 1P is good enough for me.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
#1...How many UA elites earn status based entirely on personal trips and mileage runs?
I do. I have friends and family all over the country, and I make it a point to go visit them whenever possible. National parks out west are really pretty, too! But I *usually* don't do straight mileage runs...I do mini-vacations (like the $193 IAD-PDX or $344 IAD-ANC fare specials).
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Yeah,I have a friend in that category. He gets really defensive about it. I can see augmenting baseline work/personal travel to reach a level. I don't really get flying 100K in mileage runs when work/personal travel is < 25 K/year.
unfortunately, some people have too much time and too much money.
MRs do make sense for those. me include.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by pbd456
unfortunately, some people have too much time and too much money.
MRs do make sense for those. me include.
And some folks actually just like the adventure of flying.

I enjoy going to new places and the experience of human flight. It is all the folks crammed into a small space and a select few of said folks behaving badly that bring it back to reality.

Only done 1 MR myself to get status. Work usually has me traveling a lot.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This thread makes UA to introduce PQD sooner!

You heard that DL would introduce MQD next year. UA will likely introduce PQD (Premier Qualifying Dollar) sooner, with help of this kind of thread. You can kiss your MR plans and elite status goodbye.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You heard that DL would introduce MQD next year. UA will likely introduce PQD (Premier Qualifying Dollar) sooner, with help of this kind of thread. You can kiss your MR plans and elite status goodbye.
Sure as long as the PQDs go to the entity that actually pays for the ticket. Then all people who dont pay for their own tickets can kiss your elite status goodbye. Only fair
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:04 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
My god, not this discussion again!

Surely UA has the numbers and doesn't need to rely on some FT thread to drive them to do something?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by username
And your point is? That is why we have Flyertalk

I think some of us are not rational when it comes to miles/statuses. I for one seem to value miles more than real money. For retirment, my goals are 1MM on United and Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, not money in the bank...
Good Goal. When I retired, I had about 5mm AA miles and Plat for life for both of us so my wife and I could travel in F whenever/wherever we wanted.

I am now doing MR on UA in E+ to get 1k so we can travel F/J on their map easier. Thanks to Chase for the UA miles.

As others have said, explaining the rationality of a MR to friends, family and border guards is next to impossible.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by valor155
And some folks actually just like the adventure of flying.
I have not done a mileage run in years.

First, when I got to the United Million Mile level, I thought that my status was secure.

Most of my mileage runs were in the 90s when fares were incredibly low, status was recognized and rewarded, and I was completely absorbed in the frequent flyer "game".

Now that I am older and wiser.....
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i am going to earn either very high PP or very low 1K this year on about 65% personal travel. i have already wrapped up gold (current 60k EQM) and about 40k of that is personal travel, so it is very doable. no MRs yet, one long one later this year and one emergency ripcord booked for 12/30 in case the 1K line is not yet crossed.

it is very doable domestically if you don't mind being gone 2-3 weekends a month and if you are based in or near a favorable MR city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.