FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Using United miles on Lufthansa and upgrade implications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475706-using-united-miles-lufthansa-upgrade-implications.html)

diclemeg Jun 13, 13 10:15 am

Using United miles on Lufthansa and upgrade implications

I currently am Star Elite Gold with Turkish.
If I use United miles to fly translantic on Lufthansa metal, JFK-FRA in economy, being a Star Elite Gold, do I go on the upgrade list ????

zrs70 Jun 13, 13 10:17 am

Originally Posted by diclemeg (Post 20915942)
If I use United miles to fly translantic on Lufthansa metal, JFK-FRA in economy, being a Star Elite Gold, do I go on the upgrade list ????

You won't be on the upgrade list. But if, for operational reasons, they need to upgrade passengers, your status will help (though you will be behind LH passengers with equivalent status).

GBadger Jun 13, 13 10:19 am

Originally Posted by diclemeg (Post 20915942)

I'm not sure where to start, but here's a shot:
1) LH doesn't give out upgrades on JFK-FRA (or any routes that I'm aware of)
2) I don't know of many airlines that give upgrades on tickets given with miles (with some exceptions such as UA domestic flights if you have the MP Credit Card)

aacharya Jun 13, 13 10:23 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 20915961)
You won't be on the upgrade list. But if, for operational reasons, they need to upgrade passengers, your status will help (though you will be behind LH passengers with equivalent status).

But only if he/she changes the FF to Turkish after booking.

diclemeg Jun 13, 13 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 20916007)
But only if he/she changes the FF to Turkish after booking.

please elaborate...

zrs70 Jun 13, 13 2:12 pm

LH needs to know you are *G. If you used UA miles to purchase, they may not have a way to see your Turkish status.

You should be able to go into your itinerary on ual.com now and enter your turkish credentials.

burlax Jun 13, 13 2:13 pm

You won't be upgraded from X/I/O fare class. This simply will not happen.

Upgradeable fare classes are listed in the M&M T&C.

Also, LH doesn't open upgrade availability until very close to depature, so using other airline miles is problematic since you cannot get on the upgrade waitlist.

Also, you'd need a Y/B/C/D fare class to use other carriers' miles. If you want to upgrade a discount fare, you'll need to use M&M miles.

zrs70 Jun 13, 13 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by burlax (Post 20917591)
You won't be upgraded from X/I/O fare class. This simply will not happen.

Upgradeable fare classes are listed in the M&M T&C.

Also, LH doesn't open upgrade availability until very close to depature, so using other airline miles is problematic since you cannot get on the upgrade waitlist.

Also, you'd need a Y/B/C/D fare class to use other carriers' miles. If you want to upgrade a discount fare, you'll need to use M&M miles.

This is all true for prearranged upgrades. But if there is an oversell, anything can happen. Status helps. Though a mileage ticket is pretty low down the ladder!

aacharya Jun 13, 13 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 20917608)
This is all true for prearranged upgrades. But if there is an oversell, anything can happen. Status helps. Though a mileage ticket is pretty low down the ladder!

Happened to my brother LHR-EWR flying to my wedding. My miles (was PresPlat then). Got that op-up.

CAPT Tee Jun 13, 13 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 20917608)

Two years ago I had a UA saver award ticket on a LH flight ORD-FRA. I got op-up'd to C based on my *G (UA 1K) status.
Op-up is not something one should comptemplate or speculate. When it does happens, be pleasantly surprised.