Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Small storage space under the foot rest. Is it safe to use that even with seat flat or reclined? Will my seat move into that space?

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
Small storage space under the foot rest. Is it safe to use that even with seat flat or reclined? Will my seat move into that space?

Thanks.
No, your seat will not move into that space. But if the seat is flat it's a little more difficult to access the things there. I keep my shoes in that space and if I want to go to the toilet, I have to grab my shoes from the side which is a little more difficult than if the seat was not fully flat.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks.
The images in this link may help visualize the seat better
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The bad news is that my wife hated her seat 8D. Too much traffic (we usually are in Row 6 of the pmUA 772 where there's zero traffic) and too much light every time the toilet on that side of the plane opened. For some reason I had thought that that toilet opened towards the aisle like in the other 772 and like the big toilet in this 772. But, no, that toilet opens towards the back.
It's strange: I much prefer 8E over 8D for pretty much the reasons your wife seemed to notice also. The strange thing is that -more often than not- 8E is available when 8D is not. It appears 8D is preferred over 8E which is perplexing to me, but I am not complaining!
8D has a slightly larger footwell, but hardly noticeable IMO.

Still think 8E and 8D are the best two-combo seats on the plane, despite the slight disadvantage of 8D as you mentioned.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by narvik
It's strange: I much prefer 8E over 8D for pretty much the reasons your wife seemed to notice also. The strange thing is that -more often than not- 8E is available when 8D is not. It appears 8D is preferred over 8E which is perplexing to me, but I am not complaining!

Still think 8E and 8D are the best two-combo seats on the plane, despite the slight disadvantage of 8E as you mentioned.
I think that in all my readings I saw that passengers prefer 8D because, if you are sitting in 8E, the passenger in 8D can read the screen on your computer. Due to the angling of the seats. Obviously I did not care if my wife read the screen of my computer when she was sitting in 8D since I did not open my computer (and at home she can conveniently read all my emails from her own computer). I kind of slept 11 hours as we had to wake up at 3:15 AM to make that 3:00 PM flight from EWR (Thank you United for cancelling our ORD flight!) .

But I think that if we ever have to be in this plane again we'll take seats 3D and 3E. Not too close to the toilets, not too much traffic.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Anyone have experience with 2D? Is the closeness to the front lavatory an issue? How does it compare to 8D (size of the footrest aside)?

I think that in all my readings I saw that passengers prefer 8D because, if you are sitting in 8E, the passenger in 8D can read the screen on your computer.
This is the exact reason I prefer 8D over 8E, and also easy access in and out of plane.

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Anyone have experience with 2D? Is the closeness to the front lavatory an issue? How does it compare to 8D (size of the footrest aside)?

I would consider that 2D is still too close to the front toilet.
UA_Flyer and narvik like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I would consider that 2D is still too close to the front toilet.
Agreed. I was in 3B this morning from Europe to EWR and thought it was about the closest I want to be to the lav.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by United747
Agreed. I was in 3B this morning from Europe to EWR and thought it was about the closest I want to be to the lav.
This is useful information. Thank you for posting!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

This is the exact reason I prefer 8D over 8E, and also easy access in and out of plane.

I've tried both seats (8D/E) multiple times (need the larger footwell). I prefer 8E for access to the larger lavatory. I have a screen protector on my laptop, so 8D couldn't see it. And for exit access, I get up quickly and after crossing through the galley, usually find myself right behind the passenger in 8D waiting for the door to open.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Between 8D and 3E, any view or preference?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Between 8D and 3E, any view or preference?
lol, I will choose either of those alternatively just to mix it up, and have no real preference (well except in my case it's 8E, not 8D).

3E has the advantage of being in the forward cabin and thus often (always?) not subject to main cabin passenger traffic during boarding.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by narvik

Still think 8E and 8D are the best two-combo seats on the plane, despite the slight disadvantage of 8D as you mentioned.
I booked IAH-LHR for mid-January many months ago, and 8E was already taken!
I got it on the way back, though...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
United 777-200 Old Config BIZ Class seats Foot well

IAH - NRT and NRT to IAH on 777-200 2 class INTL

Does anyone know which seats in C have the larger Square foot well? I have been trying to find a seating chart that explains it but no Luck.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:21 pm

Bulkhead rows.

2AB, 1DE, 1KL
8AB, 8DE, 8KL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.