Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Thanks wine country, I don't see the search thread button on mobile so I appreciate the link! Looks like a good choice.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
LHR to IAH business class

I usually fly Air Canada business class to/from London but have to make a one way trip from London to Houston in mid November. Looking at United to stay with Star Alliance but never flown it overseas before. As best I can tell this route isn’t their updated Polaris cabin as the aircraft is 777-200 and seat map shows 2+2+2 for business. Is that correct? I like the privacy of the Air Canada pods and was wondering how these would compare as they didn’t look to be as private but wasn’t sure. Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct. The 2-2-2 cabin layout is not as private as a herringbone layout, but in some ways I prefer the spacious, airy feeling of the cabin. If you value direct aisle access (no one to climb over, no one climbing over you), you should select a seat in the center pair, and note that the bulkhead seats have larger footwells. Don't expect anything over the top and you should have a good flight.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
You might want to consider going slightly out of the way and taking SQ’s MAN-IAH flight.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Need a tip from the brain trust:

Going EWR to BOM on oct 4th. Every D and E seat is occupied other than the "poop seat" 1D where I'm currently sitting. I could get an aisle seat on the A/B or the K/L side. Thus far, I've always gotten lucky and gotten the D/E pair.

How bad would an aisle be IRT people climing over me for 15.5 hours? Also, is the "poop" seat really so bad that I'd prefer people climbing over me?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Need a tip from the brain trust:

Going EWR to BOM on oct 4th. Every D and E seat is occupied other than the "poop seat" 1D where I'm currently sitting. I could get an aisle seat on the A/B or the K/L side. Thus far, I've always gotten lucky and gotten the D/E pair.

How bad would an aisle be IRT people climing over me for 15.5 hours? Also, is the "poop" seat really so bad that I'd prefer people climbing over me?
1D is not that bad if you can ignore lighting from the toilet to the left and the galley forward left (port side) - I would grab that one if you want leg space.

Else get the middle seats so you don't have people climbing over you...but with reduced space for your feet!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
1D is not that bad if you can ignore lighting from the toilet to the left and the galley forward left (port side) - I would grab that one if you want leg space.

Else get the middle seats so you don't have people climbing over you...but with reduced space for your feet!
It isn't so much the light at my current 1D seat that worries me as much as the Aroma. I guess the core of the question is 1D aroma, vs 8B getting climbed over.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LordHamster
It isn't so much the light at my current 1D seat that worries me as much as the Aroma. I guess the core of the question is 1D aroma, vs 8B getting climbed over.
Take the 8B climbed over. I have taken flights on the other 772 (the one with the 2-4-2 seats) in an aisle seat and some of my neighbors take sleeping pills and don't move the whole night.

Actually the weirdest story about this was not on UA, it was on BA. I was on an aisle seat on the upper deck of the 747. My window neighbor talked to me for a few minutes then swallowed his sleeping pills. On a LHR-ORD flight, when we approached Iceland, the plane returned to LHR. We landed. My neighbor woke up and mentioned that this was the easiest LHR-ORD run in his travel life. I felt bad telling him that we were back in LHR.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Actually the weirdest story about this was not on UA, it was on BA. I was on an aisle seat on the upper deck of the 747. My window neighbor talked to me for a few minutes then swallowed his sleeping pills. On a LHR-ORD flight, when we approached Iceland, the plane returned to LHR. We landed. My neighbor woke up and mentioned that this was the easiest LHR-ORD run in his travel life. I felt bad telling him that we were back in LHR.
That's what happens when you fly BA!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:04 pm

My favorite E+ seat is 16A/L, does anyone know the distance between the seat and the bulkhead? and the height of the seat?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
[The only tiny downside picking the second cabin and these seats is that all economy pax will board past you. The area in front of the seats in this bulkhead row is so large that some passenger try and use it as a cross-over point to reach the other isle. UA FAs are normally good in re-directing the "offending" pax, or alternatively you can either: 1) put your feet on the ottoman, or 2) let them through.]
The good news is that no passenger tried to use the area in the front of seats 8D and 8E as a passageway.

The bad news is that my wife hated her seat 8D. Too much traffic (we usually are in Row 6 of the pmUA 772 where there's zero traffic) and too much light every time the toilet on that side of the plane opened. For some reason I had thought that that toilet opened towards the aisle like in the other 772 and like the big toilet in this 772. But, no, that toilet opens towards the back.

Middle area seats are even greater if you have exceptional FAs. Both my wife and I were served the Champagne by both FAs.

The seats were quite comfortabIe. I slept very well. My wife had to wake me up for our Thanksgiving dinner (the Southwestern omelet.....).

Funny story: We boarded the plane from Door 2. As soon as we get to our seats, my wife disappears (on her mission to ask about Channel 9). That's the moment that a lady arrives intending to sit in my wife's seat. I told her that it was not her seat. She insisted. The FA comes to see what's going on. The lady shows her boarding pass for seat 1D. The FA says: "yes, that's your seat". Just then my wife comes back and says: "no, that seat is in that direction" pointing towards the front of the plane. The FA thought it was very funny that she got confused.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:07 pm

Can someone advise me about power in these seats in Business class? Is there USB power?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Can someone advise me about power in these seats in Business class? Is there USB power?
Yes and AC power also

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2018 at 9:31 pm Reason: pic
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:20 am

Thank you. When the seat goes flat, is that little shelf behind your head still accessible? I wouldn't want to leave a phone there for very long. Likely to get snatched. Seems like you can't hold your phone and charge at the same time, unless you have a long cord.

EDIT: Is there any under seat storage in business class? (I don't think so.)

Last edited by zitsky; Dec 13, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you. When the seat goes flat, is that little shelf behind your head still accessible?
Yes
I wouldn't want to leave a phone there for very long. Likely to get snatched. ...
never have particularly worried about that
Seems like you can't hold your phone and charge at the same time, unless you have a long cord.
3 foot cord should work,
Is there any under seat storage in business class? (I don't think so.)
Small area under the foot rest

Note there is a difference between the aircraft from premerger CO such as the 2-2-2 772 config (the storage is allowed for landing and takeoff and aircraft from the premerger UA such as 2-4-2 772 (storage not allow at landing / takeoff) , has to do with how they were certified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.