Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'm a window/bulkhead guy, so I would take 16A. Had that seat before and liked it. Plus, I think that side is the non-sunny side on that route.
Thanks!

I hadn't even considered the sun factor....

Is there enough legroom in 16A for someone who is 6'1"? What if there's someone there in 16B?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by A_Reed
Thanks!

I hadn't even considered the sun factor....

Is there enough legroom in 16A for someone who is 6'1"? What if there's someone there in 16B?
I'm 6'3" (34" inseam) if that helps. I don't think you can stretch out all the way in 16, but it's been a number of years since I've sat there. If legroom is key then IIRC 32 may have more (exit row), and may actually have unlimited legroom. I think both 16 and 32 have immovable armrests, so that keeps your seatmate from encroaching on you.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Which of these E+ seats in red circles is the best?

<SNIP>
If you want to be out of the plane as soon as possible and value legroom above all else, take 16J.
If you value legroom really above all else, and want as much as possible, take 32C.

I wouldn't take 31D as 16J has slightly more legroom (since the bulkhead doesn't extend completely) and is farther up and isn't right next to the bathroom.

32J is fine if you're shorter than 5"10. 16A will mean you'll have to climb over someone though to get out. 32J is great if you like windows, but know that the door juts out a bit. (That and 16C/J are my favorite seats on the plane - depending on whether I want to lean against the side or not.)
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
(That and 16C/J are my favorite seats on the plane - depending on whether I want to lean against the side or not.)

Thanks for your reply!

Is there a closed curtain in front of 16J during 14-hour flight?
If so, is it bothersome when the FAs open/close it to go back and
forth between business and coach cabins?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Thanks for your reply!

Is there a closed curtain in front of 16J during 14-hour flight?
If so, is it bothersome when the FAs open/close it to go back and
forth between business and coach cabins?
There is a closed curtain. I find they it not bothersome at all, and I don't find it happening all too often anyways
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
pmCO 777 BF

Given the choice, if you were travelling as a couple, would you prefer 2 BF seats in the centre (so you each have aisle access), or would you find the window/aisle combination to provide more "coziness?"

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 27, 2014 at 4:13 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is more like a personal preference.

Why don't I put it this way - if sitting at the center, both people can get out without disturbing another. Otherwise, you may have to some difficulties.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: United Gold
When flying solo, I take one of the two middles so my seatmate can get up without disturbing me.

When flying duo, we always take a window/aisle combo so that at least one of us can see out the window, and it does provide a bit more privacy for whomever has the window (usually not me).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
When flying solo, I take one of the two middles so my seatmate can get up without disturbing me.

When flying duo, we always take a window/aisle combo so that at least one of us can see out the window, and it does provide a bit more privacy for whomever has the window (usually not me).
Agreed, I'm usually a Window/Aisle person myself.
Moved from 11EF to 8AB after reading this thread, 8AB became available, and seems to be a good pair of seats!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
My wife and I will be traveling EWR-either PVG or PEK to adopt. 2 of us going over, 3 of us coming back, third person under 3 years old.

1. In J going over, I am 6'2". Window is important. Footwell is second. Will probably book too late to get the prime 1KL. I normally don't sleep, but tend to just recline and watch movies. If I don't intend to be perfectly flat for a long period of time, how much of a difference would the non-bulkhead footwell make?

2. When does 2B normally open up (2AB is an option if 1KL are taken). I know 5E is normally blocked for the relief pilot. Why is 2B normally blocked?

For the return, We'll probably do Y+ only because we are afraid to bring a child between ages 1-3 in BF. Cost is not an issue and we are looking to be as comfortable as possible. I hear a lot of good about row 16, especially 16JKL because of the misaligned bulkhead.

3. How bad is the window misaligned? Are there still two windows?

4. For 16JKL, while I hear the legroom s nice, my wife and I have rather wide hips (I am a size 40). While the legroom would be nice, it would also be beneficial having a child between us so we could raise the armrests. Any opinions on this?

5. Also in regards to the legroom, while I hear about the added legroom in 16, I recall my experiences in Domestic F having less legroom in the bulkhead than in row 2 because I could slide my legs under the seat in front of me. How does this fit into the equation of comparing row 16 vs. another Y+ row?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by phkc070408
1. In J going over, I am 6'2". Window is important. Footwell is second. Will probably book too late to get the prime 1KL. I normally don't sleep, but tend to just recline and watch movies. If I don't intend to be perfectly flat for a long period of time, how much of a difference would the non-bulkhead footwell make?
If you don't intend to fully lie flat, you should be comfortable almost anywhere. The non-bulkhead seats likely won't make a huge difference to you (I am 6'1").

2. When does 2B normally open up (2AB is an option if 1KL are taken). I know 5E is normally blocked for the relief pilot. Why is 2B normally blocked?
My guess is that 2B is blocked for handicap accessibility reasons. It should open up once OLCI does. In my experience, 5D is usually blocked for pilot rest; 5E is my favorite seat, actually.

I'll have to let someone else more knowledgeable answer your Y+ questions, as I have not flown Y+ on this aircraft.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

4. For 16JKL, while I hear the legroom s nice, my wife and I have rather wide hips (I am a size 40). While the legroom would be nice, it would also be beneficial having a child between us so we could raise the armrests. Any opinions on this?

5. Also in regards to the legroom, while I hear about the added legroom in 16, I recall my experiences in Domestic F having less legroom in the bulkhead than in row 2 because I could slide my legs under the seat in front of me. How does this fit into the equation of comparing row 16 vs. another Y+ row?
The legroom is pretty decent. The nature of the seat shape makes it difficult to stretch out too much. Can't say on width/armrests issue - it's YMMV.

Not intending to raise the "Child in F -yes/no" debate, surely you can find some seats that minimize the potential disruption to others, such as 8ABE or FJK, with the child seated in the window (i.e., front corner of the cabin).
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:11 pm

I will be flying on business class United next summer with my baby (will be 10-month old at that time). She will be on my lap and they give me seat 1K on Boeing 777-???. I asked for a bulkhead seat and the CSR told me they do have it??? and gave me seat 1K. I know the seat is the first row, so is that the best for my situation? I have never flew business before so no idea about the seat. TIA.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by anneok
I have never flew business before so no idea about the seat. TIA.
Except for Hawaiian 777 subfleet all sUA are the same, as are all sCO.

Bulkhead does not really apply in Biz. It's a seat that converts into a lie flat bed, so if you're thinking bassinet like in coach, not so much as I understand it.

Oh, and your and my posts will probably get moved to a where to sit on 777 once you tell us if it's sUA or sCO. If you don't know, post the flight number and we'll know from that.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by drewguy
The legroom is pretty decent.
Better than regular Y+ Seats?

The nature of the seat shape makes it difficult to stretch out too much.
What do you mean by this? I realize the seat doesn't go flat. It is a coach seat, not a BF Seat. Is that all?

it's YMMV.
What does that mean?

Not intending to raise the "Child in F -yes/no" debate, ....
As much as we are front cabin people, we really don't want the glares of our fellow travelers. Also, we will have just taken the baby out of his/her home, so he/she will probably be traumatized a bit.

Last edited by phkc070408; Nov 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm Reason: Clarification

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.