Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It's the risk you take with those seats (8E also my favorite). There has been a lengthy discussion in another thread about people creatively trying to swap for your seat (and how to say no creatively as well), but you'd be hard pressed to say no to a couple wanting to use the bassinet.

8E gives you close access to the large lav, a large footwell, first to be served for all food & drink services, and a (practically) straight shot off the plane when exiting from 2L. Slight chance of sleep interruption if there are chatty FA's sitting by 2R, but that's why you bring noise-cancellation headphones with you.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I'm in 16E (middle middle seat of bulkhead Economy Plus row just behind Business) for an upcoming flight. Am I going to want to kill myself for picking a middle just to move further forward in the plane?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by msp3
I'm in 16E (middle middle seat of bulkhead Economy Plus row just behind Business) for an upcoming flight. Am I going to want to kill myself for picking a middle just to move further forward in the plane?
Because of bassinets being in row 16, I usually book row 17. 17D or 17F.
Row 16 can, on occasion, be quite loud.
msp3 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:47 am

We flew routes AMS-IAH and IAH-AMS with 777 pmCO planes and before our flight I couldn't find much info on seats 41A and 41L which have more legroom according to Seatguru, so I wanted to chip in to that conversation.
On the route AMS-IAH the plane was 19 years old (reg. n76010) and I was a bit disappointed in the leg room. Not as much of a difference in leg room than other seats as I had expected based on the reviews. On the way back from IAH-AMS the plane was 8 years old, and the difference in leg room was more noticeable. I think the leg room was about the same as in Economy plus. See the picture below. Hopefully this helps other people that are also looking for more info.

Leg Room 41A

Last edited by Jeoffke; May 11, 2019 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Flying ORD- FRA at the end of August. Business is pretty much wide open, I am a window guy in First/Business (long legs, no problem getting over reclined Aisle seat).

1K/L are gone. So my question is, 2A or 8A. Thinking 8A for speed of exit in FRA.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:52 pm
FTA

Anyone have some pics of the galley and lav at the front/nose of the plane? Wondering which way the doors open. Couldn't find any myself. Thank you
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FTA
Anyone have some pics of the galley and lav at the front/nose of the plane? Wondering which way the doors open. Couldn't find any myself. Thank you
I don't have pictures but the toilet in Row 1 opens towards the 1D seat.

The toilet behind Row 5 on the A-B side opens towards the back with the light totally annoying my wife that was seated in 8D. The other toilet (the accessible one) opens towards the aisle.
FTA likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I just read this on Seatguru re 1E.
"First time I've ever been in a plane where the forward bathroom is adjacent to seats. Think of it like this: seats 1AB have been replaced by a bathroom. So sitting in 1DE guarantees noise, light and smells throughout the entire flight."

Is this true? I see the wiki also lists it as a bad seat, but it's facing away from the lav, with a seat in between. Is it really that bad?
I love the bigger footwell, but...?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
I just read this on Seatguru re 1E.
"First time I've ever been in a plane where the forward bathroom is adjacent to seats. Think of it like this: seats 1AB have been replaced by a bathroom. So sitting in 1DE guarantees noise, light and smells throughout the entire flight."

Is this true? I see the wiki also lists it as a bad seat, but it's facing away from the lav, with a seat in between. Is it really that bad?
I love the bigger footwell, but...?
Yes, it's bad. In May our pmUA 772 was swapped to a pmCO 772. My wife and I were supposed to be in the former First Class area on the pmUA 772 and ended up in seats that we would not have chosen but not as bad as the elegant couple that ended up in 1D-1E. They had 1C-1H in the former First Class area from the moment they booked their trip. We felt really sorry for them. To the point that when we were waiting for the other toilets, the FAs would tell us that the front one was available, we refused to use that one and just kept waiting.

1E is still too close. I think that 2D is also too close. I was supposed to have that seat but managed to change to 4D.

8E is a very good seat. 8D not so much.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jul 23, 2019 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Yes, it's bad. In May our pmUA 772 was swapped to a pmCO 772. My wife and I were supposed to be in the former First Class area on the pmUA 772 and ended up in seats that we would not have chosen but not as bad as the elegant couple that ended up in 1D-1E. They had 1C-1H in the former First Class area from the moment they booked their trip. We felt really sorry for them. To the point that when we were waiting for the other toilets, the FAs would tell us that the front one was available, we refused to use that one and just kept waiting.

1E is still too close. I think that 2D is also too close. I was supposed to have that seat but managed to change to 4D.

8E is a very good seat. 8D not so much.
Thanks! But "too close" to what? The light coming out of the lav? It seems if you were lying flat, (or nearly flat watching a movie), you wouldn't see it. And oh, but that giant foot well -- it's so nice. Extra storage space as well. What a dilemma.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:55 pm

Are the business class seats on the A/B (left) side marginally more private than those on the K/L (right) side, since the center D/E pairs angle toward the right?

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Aug 10, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:07 pm

Any thoughts on 2L vs 4AL vs 9AL? Looks like row 9 might be too close to the engines?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
Any thoughts on 2L vs 4AL vs 9AL? Looks like row 9 might be too close to the engines?
As in, you have concern about noise or views? I don't find the engine noise to be all that intrusive, and I usually sit towards the front of the wing.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by malgudi
The farther forward you go, the more wind nise you will hear. You are overthinking this. I'm sure I could find something wrong with every seat...
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
As in, you have concern about noise or views? I don't find the engine noise to be all that intrusive, and I usually sit towards the front of the wing.
Thanks! Both actually

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The farther forward you go, the more wind nise you will hear. You are overthinking this. I'm sure I could find something wrong with every seat...
Agreed. Isn't that why we have FT to debate the merits/demerits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.