Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:38 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I wonder if a new title might be more useful nowadays?
Title is still accurate @:-)

FT search OTOH

I use Google Advance Search with FT.com only and normally find what I need PDQ.

And as much as I love window seats, generally go for middle seat on this bird so I don't have climb over or be climbed over
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by EmailKid
And as much as I love window seats, generally go for middle seat on this bird so I don't have climb over or be climbed over
I'm small and reasonably nimble so I'm going to take a window seat and risk having to scramble a bit.

I may not even be on it this trip. If there's a J seat available the night before, I'm going to try for an SDC to a later flight on a 777-300er.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
IIf there's a J seat available the night before, I'm going to try for an SDC to a later flight on a 777-300er.
To the best of my knowledge the only route that has pmCO 777 and 77W would be TLV.

Good luck, as I understand, those are very popular seats.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:39 pm
jow

How is seat 2C in relation to noise from the lavatory in the front?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jow
How is seat 2C in relation to noise from the lavatory in the front?
On my last flight I was in row 1 and did not find it noisy. YMMV.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have option of 1L or 8D/8E for a BOM-EWR flight coming up. Travelling solo and have chosen 8E for now and plan to sleep most of the flight. Wondering if I'll be disturbed by aisle traffic in 8E and maybe I should choose 1L instead.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Acid
I have option of 1L or 8D/8E for a BOM-EWR flight coming up. Travelling solo and have chosen 8E for now and plan to sleep most of the flight. Wondering if I'll be disturbed by aisle traffic in 8E and maybe I should choose 1L instead.
I like row 8, the galley is quiet other than maybe a loud person getting a water in the middle of the flight. the forward galley always seems to be where FA congregate and make noise.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I like row 8, the galley is quiet other than maybe a loud person getting a water in the middle of the flight. the forward galley always seems to be where FA congregate and make noise.
Thanks - I'll stick to 8E. Hope to get enough rest as I have to go to work the day I arrive in EWR
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Preferred Seats in UA 48/83

Hi,
I have tried finding this on seatguru/seatexpert, but none of them have the seatmaps for the 777-200 that UA flies on these routes. What are the preferred Polaris seats for these flights?

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I just flew UA 48 and was in 4D. There could be small differences in the foot wells but the only thing I care about is getting an isle in the center section, being in the front section of business so people don't walk by me when boarding, and not being next to the bathroom.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DLrunner
Hi,
I have tried finding this on seatguru/seatexpert, but none of them have the seatmaps for the 777-200 that UA flies on these routes. What are the preferred Polaris seats for these flights?

Thanks
{This thread}
And from seat expert.com

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2017 at 6:30 am Reason: Cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
{This thread}
And from seat expert.com
And see Wiki for seat map and recommended "best" seats.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:18 pm

I'm flying with my girlfriend next summer from AMS to IAH in J. 1L/K is already taken. I read through the thread and am trying to decide between 8D/E or 8A/B. 8D/E has direct aisle access, but that's not too big of an issue since we are not strangers. 8A/B has the window for view, though seems like it might only be open for takeoff and landing. Which of these 2 sets of seats are better?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hand_solo
I'm flying with my girlfriend next summer from AMS to IAH in J. 1L/K is already taken. I read through the thread and am trying to decide between 8D/E or 8A/B. 8D/E has direct aisle access, but that's not too big of an issue since we are not strangers. 8A/B has the window for view, though seems like it might only be open for takeoff and landing. Which of these 2 sets of seats are better?
I think it entirely depends how much you want the view (partial engine in the way) versus direct aisle access. You can have the view whenever you want; however there is often peer pressure to close the shades during long-haul flights, and there isn't all that much to see over the mid-Atlantic anyway.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I think it entirely depends how much you want the view (partial engine in the way) versus direct aisle access. You can have the view whenever you want; however there is often peer pressure to close the shades during long-haul flights, and there isn't all that much to see over the mid-Atlantic anyway.
Ah good points. What about noise/odor from the galley/lavatories between those 2 sets of seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.