Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Benebene
Why may I ask is 5E your favorite? Sorry I know this is a very old post but the cabin configuration seems identical to the current (pre new 777 Polaris) UA 88 from PEK to EWR.

I think I agree with you but I would like to know what the merits are of this seat.
Awaiting SeaRaptor's reply, some general advantages of 5E are:
* direct aisle access
* neighbor 5D is a designated flight crew rest seat, so not occupied all the time and generally silent when occupied
* no 5K/5L means less noise from that side as well
* quicker deboarding on airports with single jetbridge due to proximity to door
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
5E is next to the lav so it's probably a high traffic area seat.

Note that there aren't any lavs in the rear J cabin so everyone comes up to that one, as well as the one behind 5AB.

Also note that the lav next to 5E is the ADA lav, so that may see more traffic during non lav-peak usage times than the other two.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
5E is next to the lav so it's probably a high traffic area seat.

Note that there aren't any lavs in the rear J cabin so everyone comes up to that one...
This.
I am not a fan of 5E myself. Its screen is watched by persons waiting for the toilet, although many times the waiting person[s] will be more aft in the galley area.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
After reading this entire thread, I am concluding that 8A would be an OK seat for me on an upcoming longhaul.

-I'm 6'4"
-Usually take the aisle on all my domestic flying - sounds like I should be able to climb over the person in 8B to get out without causing too many issues - is that accurate?
-Would also like to get off the plane quickly
-Seems that the service will be quicker so I can get to sleep, and if the service is only rows 8-11 then I should have a good shot at getting my meal choice, correct?
-My only question would be the lavs - is that seat prone to disturbance? Looking at the seatmap, I just wonder if a lot of people from Y will come back and forth if the curtain is not closed.

Does anyone think any of those assumptions are incorrect? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
After reading this entire thread, I am concluding that 8A would be an OK seat for me on an upcoming longhaul.

-I'm 6'4"
-Usually take the aisle on all my domestic flying - sounds like I should be able to climb over the person in 8B to get out without causing too many issues - is that accurate?
-Would also like to get off the plane quickly
-Seems that the service will be quicker so I can get to sleep, and if the service is only rows 8-11 then I should have a good shot at getting my meal choice, correct?
-My only question would be the lavs - is that seat prone to disturbance? Looking at the seatmap, I just wonder if a lot of people from Y will come back and forth if the curtain is not closed.

Does anyone think any of those assumptions are incorrect? Thanks!
All of your points are valid except there will be zero disturbance from the lavs. Would still get 8D or E if available.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
All of your points are valid except there will be zero disturbance from the lavs. Would still get 8D or E if available.
Thanks kirkwoodj. Is your preference for 8D/E because of the direct aisle access?

I was leaning towards 8A so I have a window to look out of since the flight does not land until noon local time. As long as I think I can climb over the person next to me then I think I'll be fine, but it's always helpful to get second opinions
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Thanks kirkwoodj. Is your preference for 8D/E because of the direct aisle access?
Yup.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yup.
And larger footwell than non-bulkhead seats (important given your height).
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Remember, Row 8 is missing two of the three windows. You only have the one. It shouldn't be a big problem, but do make note of it.

Oh and yes, that extra deep and extra wide footwell in Rows 1, 2AB, and 8 will make a huge difference for you given your height.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:21 am

I was leaning towards 8A so I have a window to look out of since the flight does not land until noon local time.
Keep in mind also that some crew and passengers frown upon you having the window open during the flight. So it would only be for takeoff and landing where you get the benefit of the window.

I just wonder if a lot of people from Y will come back and forth if the curtain is not closed.
No, not really. Crew is good at sending occasional stragglers back. Doesn't happen often.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Does anyone know if you experience noise/disturbances from FAs opening/closing cabinets in 8D/E?
I fly EWR-BOM fairly often and 8E is my favorite seat with 8D being a close second. 90% of the time it is a good experience, but on some flights the FAs are very inconsiderate and have a "Coffee Klatsch" in the galley... loudly yapping the entire flight.

Now keep in mind, the flight from BOM-EWR leaves after midnight, on one such flight the whole crew decided to gather in the Galley forward of row 8 to celebrate a birthday. This celebration was complete with cake and a full volume rendition of the "happy birthday" song...at 4am IST.

I've also experienced the occasional chat buddies who decide to stand near the exit door for 4 hours yammering on about something. However all in all, I still prefer 8E and 8D + a good pair of NRR 36 earplugs.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:58 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to swap to 8D from 8A (having the view is not a must have for me on an overnight flight, plus I'll be working once I wake up so no time to take in the views).

It was either 8D or 1D but I think given the proximity of the lav to 1D, 8D is my winner. Looking forward to it!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:36 am

It was either 8D or 1D but I think given the proximity of the lav to 1D, 8D is my winner. Looking forward to it!
Good choice. 1D is kind of nasty!

Enjoy the flight.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Wife and I flying IAD-NRT on one of these in a few months in E+ (13.5 hours, ouch). Any thoughts on the best E+ seats for a couple?

Thanks

Last edited by swiftaw; Feb 7, 2017 at 10:58 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Wife and I flying IAD-NRT on one of these in a few months in E+ (13.5 hours, ouch). Any thoughts on the best E+ seats for a couple? ....
Short answer there is very little difference outside on bulkheads or exit rows. Back toward the middle of the plane there is more blocking of the window view.

Economy is 3x3x3 shout there is no 2 seat arrangement for couple. People have different strategies for 3x3x3 -- some do window aisle and hope the middle stays empty, some do aisle aisle .
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dow-aisle.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.