Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ok , sorry
On that note , I am 6'4 , does seat 16j have same legroom and space under the cutout at say an A320 or 737 900 ? Thx
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Ok , sorry
On that note , I am 6'4 , does seat 16j have same legroom and space under the cutout at say an A320 or 737 900 ? Thx
It is a little different but I think it is mostly because the bulkhead doesn't extend all the way in front of your seat. You basically have unlimited legroom as you can stretch out into the curtain that separates BF and economy.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Ok , sorry
There is no cutout on the 777.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
There is no cutout on the 777.
This is the correct answer.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
What do you mean by cutout?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Cutout is what we refer to as space for your feet. In some configurations the wall between coach and premium cabin extends all the way down, in some there is a cutout that lets you stretch your feet under it, making it much more comfortable.

And sometime the cutout is only a few inches long
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Think row 7 on the 319/320.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Cutout is what we refer to as space for your feet. In some configurations the wall between coach and premium cabin extends all the way down, in some there is a cutout that lets you stretch your feet under it, making it much more comfortable.

And sometime the cutout is only a few inches long
Pulled this off the web as an example of the cutout that exists on some other (short-haul) United planes:

http://www.modhop.com/wp-content/uploads/jpg508

Link to different picture (old one seems not to be working for some people):
http://i2.wp.com/www.modhop.com/wp-c...s/Image226.jpg

They don't/can't do this on the planes like the 777 with lay flat business seats because those are complete units rather than just a seat - in the picture above you're effectively putting your feet under the seat in front of you - it just happens to be a domestic F seat in another cabin.

Last edited by drewguy; Dec 8, 2014 at 8:26 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by drewguy
Better than regular Y+ Seats?

Yes, unless you want to extend your legs under the seat in front of you
I understand about the bulkhead wall not going all of the way across to the aisle and that the person sitting in the aisle in row 16 has unlimited leg room if positioned the right way. When comparing row 16 (middle or window) to a row behind, how does the ability to fully extend your legs straight and stretch them a bit compare? Can you get them fully straight under the seat in front of you in another row?

I've had a problem when flying in domestic F in that the bulkhead restricts my ability to stretch my legs out, but they fit fine under the seat in front of me in rows behind.

Overall I'm debating the pros and cons of 16 vs. another row. Advantages are Unlimited legroom in seats 16C, and 16J, no one can recline in your face. Down sides are the fixed armrests (the person sitting int he center seat will be a toddler). Unknowns are the legroom in 16AB/16KL vs. Rows behind. Note that I am 6'2" and a size 40 waist.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I understand about the bulkhead wall not going all of the way across to the aisle and that the person sitting in the aisle in row 16 has unlimited leg room if positioned the right way. When comparing row 16 (middle or window) to a row behind, how does the ability to fully extend your legs straight and stretch them a bit compare? Can you get them fully straight under the seat in front of you in another row?

I've had a problem when flying in domestic F in that the bulkhead restricts my ability to stretch my legs out, but they fit fine under the seat in front of me in rows behind.

Overall I'm debating the pros and cons of 16 vs. another row. Advantages are Unlimited legroom in seats 16C, and 16J, no one can recline in your face. Down sides are the fixed armrests (the person sitting int he center seat will be a toddler). Unknowns are the legroom in 16AB/16KL vs. Rows behind. Note that I am 6'2" and a size 40 waist.
I just sat in 16L and loved it. I'm only 5'10" (32" inseam) with a 30" waist. The seat width was not an issue for me. I could just touch the bulkhead when my seat was fully reclined. This seat was great for me. I put my backpack in front of me and had a footrest for my 12 hour flight. It was great not having somebody recline in front of me.

It seems to me, that when I sit in a row that has somebody in front of me, if I stretch out my legs my feet end up touching the bar under the seat in front of me.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by pbartp
I just sat in 16L and loved it. I'm only 5'10" (32" inseam) with a 30" waist. The seat width was not an issue for me. I could just touch the bulkhead when my seat was fully reclined.
Good information

Originally Posted by pbartp
It seems to me, that when I sit in a row that has somebody in front of me, if I stretch out my legs my feet end up touching the bar under the seat in front of me.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:38 pm

777-200 v3 EWR-TLV

Recommendations in EP
Seats in row 16 or 32?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:37 pm

While I've never sat in either row, I would thing 32 would have unlimited legroom due to the exit row aisle. I would jump hoops to get in that row, but we'll have a toddler with us, so no can do there. My only question about that row would be how the AVOD is mounted.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by phkc070408
While I've never sat in either row, I would thing 32 would have unlimited legroom due to the exit row aisle. I would jump hoops to get in that row, but we'll have a toddler with us, so no can do there. My only question about that row would be how the AVOD is mounted.
Row 32 does indeed have practically unlimited legroom (for ABC/JKL only -- DEF is actually less legroom), but the catch -- as you correctly surmised -- is that the AVOD is on a little arm that swings out from under your seat. While annoying in that it has to be stowed for taxi, takeoff, and landing, it's more aggravating that the screen is small and at an awkward angle, and I always have trouble keeping the arm up. (It tends to fall over from its own weight.) Furthermore, the fact that it's not mounted in the seatback seems to also be reflected in a significantly higher rate of malfunction. YMMV

Oh, and the tray table is in the [rigid] armrest so the seat is slightly narrower and there's no way to sprawl into an adjacent unoccupied seat (or lean against a spouse / travel partner).

Last edited by o mikros; Mar 9, 2015 at 8:08 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by o mikros
Oh, and the tray table is in the [rigid] armrest so the seat is slightly narrower and there's no way to sprawl into an adjacent unoccupied seat (or lean against a spouse / travel partner).
But row 16 ABC/JKL is the same, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.