FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Upgraded using RPU, online says upgraded using miles.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475675-upgraded-using-rpu-online-says-upgraded-using-miles.html)

KevinB Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am

Upgraded using RPU, online says upgraded using miles....

I used a couple of RPU's for my partner and I to go to Hawaii at Christmas... I used RPU's there and back... Of course, no R inventory released yet...

Online our flight out UA.com says "Upgrade Requested using RPU"... but our return says "Upgrade Requested using Mileage Award"... Will this make any difference to our upgrade chance when they finally release R inventory?

I'm not sure whether it's worth calling and trying to get it corrected if it makes no real difference... Does anyone know if it matters?

WineCountryUA Jun 13, 2013 10:43 am

Originally Posted by KevinB (Post 20915076)
.... I'm not sure whether it's worth calling and trying to get it corrected if it makes no real difference... Does anyone know if it matters?

Since you will be talking with the 1K desk, it should be a short call and personally I don't like such odd messages with my itins without double-checking.

Duke787 Jun 13, 2013 10:57 am

I'd call to be safe and also make sure to check the underlying fare class and that they applied the RPU to R and not mistakenly as an award ticket fare class. I used an RPU for an upcoming flight that had a schedule change. After the schedule change it changed my fare class for the upgrade from R to JN which would indicate the flight was a business class standard reward flight. Had to call to restore the original fare class (and make sure I get my miles) and then have the RPU processed again into R.

Point being I'd call since it seems like the system may be having some RPU vs award mileage issues on the underlying fare classes, and you definitely don't want to lose those miles going to Hawaii.

KevinB Jun 13, 2013 1:44 pm

I just called, and the agent told me that it doesn't matter if it's listed as a Mileage Plus Upgrade or a Regional Premier Upgrade... and not to worry... and supposedly checked my reservation and said we're number one and two on the upgrade list...

I'm not sure if I actually trust what I heard or not... Annoying... Might call back later and see if another agent says the same thing...

burlax Jun 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Is it possible to cancel the upgrade and redeposit the miles? :D

KevinB Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by burlax (Post 20917871)
Is it possible to cancel the upgrade and redeposit the miles? :D

Hey, never thought of that... Good idea! :D