Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is the moving map (DTV channel 11) on 737s new? [threads merged]

Old Jun 12, 13, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta DM, AMEX Plat, Marriott/Hyatt/SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum, Global Entry

I flew on a 738 yesterday IAH-PHX with a moving map channel on DTV. Is this a new development or have I just not been paying attention? I didn't notice it on the dozen or so other 738/739s I've flown in recent weeks. I'm glad to see they've added that feature, although hopefully it's free for those in Y -- but probably not.
Old Jun 12, 13, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
I sure haven't ever noticed it! That's the one thing I always thought it was missing. Why channel/where did you find it?

Last edited by JDS747; Jun 13, 13 at 1:20 pm
Old Jun 12, 13, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Hit or miss

Some of the 738W have it. It's channel 11 when it shows up, don't know if is suppose to have CH9 with it, but I haven't heard it.
Old Jun 12, 13, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta DM, AMEX Plat, Marriott/Hyatt/SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum, Global Entry
It's in the UA channels...10 or 11. I looked to see if it had Channel 9 but I couldn't find it, so I don't think that's the case. There seems to be more pre-recorded content than there used to be as well.
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I noticed this for the first time, as well, when I flew a 738 last weekend. ^
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
I noticed this for the first time, as well, when I flew a 738 last weekend. ^
Same here; not quite as much information as the AVOD version (no ETA or weather at destination, for example) but nice to have the ground speed and altitude. There's a slight lag in data, but still neat to watch the numbers during takeoff and landing.
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Ha, so I'm not crazy

Could have sworn I've seen it on a DTV equipped 737, but the next few flights it wasn't there

EmailKid
Old Jun 13, 13, 4:10 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone,

I just verified with our product team, and I can confirm that moving maps will be coming to all DIRECTV-equipped aircraft. Just like the other channels of DIRECTV, itíll be available on a complimentary basis in the premium cabin and as part of the existing paid package in economy. We just started the roll-out of this feature, but we expect it to be available on all 200 aircraft by next month.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Jun 13, 13, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi everyone,

I just verified with our product team, and I can confirm that moving maps will be coming to all DIRECTV-equipped aircraft. Just like the other channels of DIRECTV, itíll be available on a complimentary basis in the premium cabin and as part of the existing paid package in economy. We just started the roll-out of this feature, but we expect it to be available on all 200 aircraft by next month.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Thanks for the update. I know I'm dreaming, but it would be great for the map to be the default view on the Y screens instead of the obnoxious endless loop of DTV ads (which are clearly ineffective if that's what one is looking it).
Old Jun 13, 13, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Hi everyone,

I just verified with our product team, and I can confirm that moving maps will be coming to all DIRECTV-equipped aircraft. Just like the other channels of DIRECTV, it’ll be available on a complimentary basis in the premium cabin and as part of the existing paid package in economy. We just started the roll-out of this feature, but we expect it to be available on all 200 aircraft by next month.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Thanks for the update Aaron but how about audio/music on DTV a/c as there currently is none or is that a no-go because it's a freebie and no money can be made? It's a matter if principle with me but if I ride in the village on a DTV aircraft, I will not pay for DTV and to be left with no other option simple $ucks (just like the new dark 319's & 320's with no IFE and wifi being the only thing being pushed)
Old Jun 13, 13, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak View Post
Thanks for the update. I know I'm dreaming, but it would be great for the map to be the default view on the Y screens instead of the obnoxious endless loop of DTV ads (which are clearly ineffective if that's what one is looking it).
I second this. The only time I was on a directv plane (EWR-CLE) I turned that off. A simple map would have been great. That's all I really want.
Old Jun 13, 13, 5:05 pm

+1!!!!!!
Old Jun 13, 13, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott PLT, UA 1K.
in my opinion it'd be nice if it defaulted to off.
Old Jun 13, 13, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Hi everyone,

A change I like! Thanks for the update. ^

It would be nice if UA would consider an elite discount for DTV, too (I know they're not going to give it away for free in E+, though that would be one way UA could charge more for E+ to non-elites and further differentiate E+ from E-). Maybe free for GS, $5 off for 1K, $4 for Plat, $3 for Gold, and $2 for Silver?
Old Jun 13, 13, 5:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bob_the_d View Post
in my opinion it'd be nice if it defaulted to off.
neither is going to happen

DirecTV is installed free for UA/PMCO, with intent DirecTV gets paid and recovers its cost by passagner fees. To get a such sweet deal I would assume DirecTV mandated the screen advertizing and the promo screen at boarding to help sell the feature. UA gets "free" IFE and provides a captive audience for DirecTV.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: