Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help! Any solutions for this MileagePlus award ticket debacle?

Help! Any solutions for this MileagePlus award ticket debacle?

Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:32 pm
  #16  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,140
Originally Posted by zrs70
While UA should really be able to think outside of the box ...
yes but more and more of that customer focus thinking seems to be disappear (but on the plus side we will have fewer postings on on inconsistency )

Originally Posted by zrs70
..I find it hard to believe the OP didn't have a red flag when only one PNR was given.
how does the average elite know that one PNR would be an issue since other times (PMUA) / other programs one PNR would not be an issue for funding from two accounts? Most elites have much lower level of knowledge of the award rules than the average FTer.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:36 pm
  #17  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
. . . I explained to the rep that there are 2 people travelling and we'd be ticketing out of 2 seperate MP accounts. . . She confirms that it will be 280k total + taxes . . . This is, after all, their mistake.
With respect, this is your mistake, not UA's.

When a CSR says 280k + taxes it means she priced one PNR. Because when a CSR prices two PNRs she'll say - 140K + $X for person A and 140K + $Y for person B.

There is nothing to suggest - try speaking with a different supervisor or ask MP and Chase if they can reverse the transfer ( due to a mistake ) and re-transfer the miles to a different account.
burlax is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:38 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,518
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes but more and more of that customer focus thinking seems to be disappear (but on the plus side we will have fewer postings on on inconsistency )

how does the average elite know that one PNR would be an issue since other times (PMUA) / other programs one PNR would not be an issue for funding from two accounts? Most elites have much lower level of knowledge of the award rules than the average FTer.
Agree, OP's only posted 26 times here - probably didn't catch that nuance - it occurs to all of us because of the constant UA v. CO discussions.
aacharya is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:43 pm
  #19  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,140
Originally Posted by burlax
With respect, this is your mistake, not UA's.

When a CSR says 280k + taxes it means she priced one PNR. Because when a CSR prices two PNRs she'll say - 140K + $X for person A and 140K + $Y for person B .....
Disagree (assuming OP version is accurate) --- How was the OP to know one PNR meant not able to fund from two accounts -- especially after the OP stated
Originally Posted by jmgriffin
....I explained to the rep that there are 2 people travelling and we'd be ticketing out of 2 seperate MP accounts. ....
I repeat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
..... how does the average elite know that one PNR would be an issue since other times (PMUA) / other programs one PNR would not be an issue for funding from two accounts? Most elites have much lower level of knowledge of the award rules than the average FTer.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:51 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,608
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Disagree (assuming OP version is accurate) --- How was the OP to know one PNR meant not able to fund from two accounts --
Delta can pull miles from from two accounts when the two people are traveling together on one PNR.

Delta can also split a PNR with segments on other airlines.

I suspect most airlines (other than United) can do this, too. At this point, I think the OP should call and call again for the split-PNR fix until someone says, "Yes."
Bowgie is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:56 pm
  #21  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Disagree (assuming OP version is accurate) --- How was the OP to know one PNR meant not able to fund from two accounts -- especially after the OP stated


I repeat
If I were told 280k + taxes, my first question would be whether she priced this on one PNR.

But I can see the situation when an elite from PMUA times who hasn't flown much recently assumes that the PMUA rules and policies haven't changed despite the merger. However, it is not a reasonable assumption given the merger and especially everything that happened post-3/3. I can certainly relate, but I still don't think it's a UA's fault.
burlax is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:44 pm
  #22  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,140
Originally Posted by burlax
If I were told 280k + taxes, my first question would be whether she priced this on one PNR.

But I can see the situation when an elite from PMUA times who hasn't flown much recently assumes that the PMUA rules and policies haven't changed despite the merger. However, it is not a reasonable assumption given the merger and especially everything that happened post-3/3. I can certainly relate, but I still don't think it's a UA's fault.
You make the huge assumption people know that level of rules (a classic case of you know know what you don't know) -- besides being a practice (ability to use 1 PNR and fund from multiple sources) that is common among multiple carriers (Delta included, a program the OP has listed in their profile) and the fact the OP stated a desired to do something in a specific way, there isn't 1% of the flying population that is going to question 1 PNR appraoch. That level of detail is the agent's responsibility.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:51 pm
  #23  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
. . . That level of detail is the agent's responsibility.
If you are saying it's a customer service failure, I wholly agree. This is different from 'fault' though.
burlax is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:55 pm
  #24  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,140
Originally Posted by burlax
If you are saying it's a customer service failure, I wholly agree. This is different from 'fault' though.
It was a customer service failure that UA bares the responsibility to correct is what I am saying.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:02 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was a customer service failure that UA bares the responsibility to correct is what I am saying.
I'd be tempted to say they'll barely bear it at best.
Zouf is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:08 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Benicia, California, USA
Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Posts: 10,805
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You make the huge assumption people know that level of rules (a classic case of you know know what you don't know) -- besides being a practice (ability to use 1 PNR and fund from multiple sources) that is common among multiple carriers (Delta included, a program the OP has listed in their profile) and the fact the OP stated a desired to do something in a specific way, there isn't 1% of the flying population that is going to question 1 PNR appraoch. That level of detail is the agent's responsibility.
+100

Originally Posted by burlax
If you are saying it's a customer service failure, I wholly agree. This is different from 'fault' though.
Failure, fault, whatever. The point is...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was a customer service failure that UA bares the responsibility to correct is what I am saying.
Originally Posted by Zouf
I'd be tempted to say they'll barely bear it at best.
The bare facts indicate that UA should bear responsibility.
Thunderroad is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:14 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Posts: 7,224
Originally Posted by Zouf
I'd be tempted to say they'll barely bear it at best.
Well they're certainly setting a low bar in customer service...

Wait, I think I did that wrong .
GBadger is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:35 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 10,886
OP did you get a confirmation email with PNR from UA? Did you look up what was put on hold online? Your wanted two awards so having one PNR should have alerted you.

If I plan to do smth very complex (and your itinerary seems to fall into that category) I tend to have some kind of evidence of things ready to go exacly as i want.
Perhaps there was a miscommunication on the phone - we don't know the other side of the story however it is your responsibility to plan things right and address possible risks.

(naturally it never stops folks on this board from blaming everything on UA and more specifically on how merger made things worse but those pointless discussions won't help you)

Your best bet now it to call and have it split - it should be doable but it may require a knowledgeable agent. You really should have posted here asking for advice when you saw a single PNR beforer making a decision to transfer.
azepine00 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:45 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,343
I know for a fact that PMUA systems could fund a single award PNR from multiple accounts; I did it via the phone booking system about 2 years ago, when I wanted to keep the family on one PNR. You couldn't do it on the web, but I'd assume the res agents could do so back then. So it's entirely reasonable for someone who hasn't tried it to assume that was still possible (as it is on many other airlines). Apparently now there's no way to have a child "legally" use their own miles for a single award for themselves -- I ended up booking a trip recently with my son covering my wife's ticket while I put in on my 2-ticket award.

Definitely call back and escalate; you made it perfectly clear to the agent what was desired, and UA needs to find a way to accommodate that.
jmastron is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:33 pm
  #30  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,140
Originally Posted by azepine00
OP did you get a confirmation email with PNR from UA? Did you look up what was put on hold online? Your wanted two awards so having one PNR should have alerted you. ...
Since you have not read the last dozen or so posts or chose to ignore them. Please provide a single reason why the OP should have known a single PNR should be a problem?

It was/is not an issue for PMUA or Delta or .... so it is not an industry standard.

Nothing is mentioned in United air travel award rules
or any of the award travel web pages

It is common in commerce (my local grocery store, gas stations, ...) to use multiple forms of payment.

What would have motivated this individual (other than being a geek on FT buried in the details) to have questioned the agent's appraoch when the OP notified the agent up front of the desire to fund from two account???
Other than it is in the non-public rules??
My guess the first agent did not know it could be done either.

Why in the world would the average MP member be aware of this limitation especially after the agent processed the booking request??

I am open to hearing even one plausible explanation but none has been offered.
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.