FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Gates A1 to A6 IAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1474990-ua-gates-a1-a6-iad.html)

scosprey Jun 11, 2013 5:28 am

UA Gates A1 to A6 IAD

Sitting here early on 6/11 at Gates A3A to A3G waiting to go back to CAE. Can't decide if Gates A1 to A6 are more like an Aeroflot terminal or a Greyhound bus terminal.

scosprey Jun 11, 2013 5:55 am

Another budding mini-disaster as one guy (GA) attempts to board four flights at one time through Door2, Gate A3. With TSA with a temporary set-up behind him, it's a four ring circus--better than Ringling Brothers!

mgcsinc Jun 11, 2013 6:10 am

Originally Posted by scosprey (Post 20901764)
Sitting here early on 6/11 at Gates A3A to A3G waiting to go back to CAE. Can't decide if Gates A1 to A6 are more like an Aeroflot terminal or a Greyhound bus terminal.

I've always thought Greyhound bus terminal, but I've never been on Aeroflot.

scosprey Jun 11, 2013 6:10 am

Well, good try, but he's stressed out!

tarheelnj Jun 11, 2013 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 20901931)
I've always thought Greyhound bus terminal, but I've never been on Aeroflot.

Comparing IAD gates A1-A6 to a Greyhound bus terminal is an insult to Greyhound.

exerda Jun 11, 2013 6:54 am

The amazing thing is that the A gates are an improvement over UA's prior express operation at IAD, the G concourse. :eek:

UA used the G "bus terminal" for express operations after Independence Air took the A gates with them when they tried to go independent. At least the A gates have some food options (G had a snack machine).

JeffS Jun 11, 2013 8:31 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 20902123)
The amazing thing is that the A gates are an improvement over UA's prior express operation at IAD, the G concourse. :eek:

Which was a vast improvement over the previous gates where during the summer you couldn't wait to get on your little J-31 or J-41 where it would be better than sitting in the terminal.

So IMO those who complain about the A gates don't know how "good" they have it. :D

Madone59 Jun 11, 2013 8:36 am

I used to begin and end most weeks in the IAD "A Jungle." In some odd way.....I sorta miss it.:rolleyes:

trekwars2000 Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am

It's right there with the express gates at IAH. Not sure what numbers they are, but that big room that seats about 500 reminds me of a bus terminal. Kinda odd that my last "regional flight" out of there was to SLC, almost 1200 miles.

Often1 Jun 11, 2013 9:28 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 20902123)

UA used the G "bus terminal" for express operations after Independence Air took the A gates with them when they tried to go independent. At least the A gates have some food options (G had a snack machine).

It's a paradise compared to G. At least it's kind of linked by AeroTrain and, if you don't mind the walk and have *G, you can schlep down to the LH Club (sometimes).

My view about the G gates is that they should have had their own airport designator and drop the fiction that they were part of IAD.

diburning Jun 11, 2013 11:43 am

If you want to see a TRUE Greyhound terminal, try Gate 35 on US at DCA ;)

ifly153 Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

Actually always enjoy going to A gate for a nice burger at 5 guys.

haddon90 Jun 11, 2013 12:38 pm

yeah. people that complain about A now clearly do not know how good they have it. old A and G were the worst. A is great because i always have enough time to go to the LH lounge.

scosprey Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JeffS (Post 20902650)
Which was a vast improvement over the previous gates where during the summer you couldn't wait to get on your little J-31 or J-41 where it would be better than sitting in the terminal.

So IMO those who complain about the A gates don't know how "good" they have it. :D

I forgot about the G gates--maybe an unconscious reaction. If I'm now remembering correctly, half the GAs couldn't properly pronounce the flight destination cities' names when making PA announcements. So there's that apparent improvement from the old days. :rolleyes:

exerda Jun 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by scosprey (Post 20904434)
I forgot about the G gates--maybe an unconscious reaction. If I'm now remembering correctly, half the GAs couldn't properly pronounce the flight destination cities' names when making PA announcements. So there's that apparent improvement from the old days. :rolleyes:

You're saying more than half can pronounce the destinations today? :p