FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Case of the Missing Lavatories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1474736-case-missing-lavatories.html)

mdf-nyc Jun 10, 2013 11:19 am

The Case of the Missing Lavatories

Just flew the non-stop EWR-MXP and back in Business First on a 767-400. The seat map showed (and continues to show) 2 lavatories at the front of BF, 2 immediately behind, and 3 in the middle of coach.

But there were no lavs in the front of BF on either of my flights. FAs told me the plane had been reconfigured to add more BF seats.

BF passengers had to use the lavs behind BF, which were roped off from coach. Coach pax -- 200 or so of them -- seemed to have only the 3 in the middle of the cabin. I couldn't see all the back -- maybe 2 lavs were added there? From where I sat, it looked like a net reduction from 7 to 5.

Is this a trend? If so, certainly not a welcome one -- on any flight, but particularly international ones.

aacharya Jun 10, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mdf-nyc (Post 20897189)
Just flew the non-stop EWR-MXP and back in Business First on a 767-400. The seat map showed (and continues to show) 2 lavatories at the front of BF, 2 immediately behind, and 3 in the middle of coach.

But there were no lavs in the front of BF on either of my flights. FAs told me the plane had been reconfigured to add more BF seats.

BF passengers had to use the lavs behind BF, which were roped off from coach. Coach pax -- 200 or so of them -- seemed to have only the 3 in the middle of the cabin. I couldn't see all the back -- maybe 2 lavs were added there? From where I sat, it looked like a net reduction from 7 to 5.

Is this a trend? If so, certainly not a welcome one -- on any flight, but particularly international ones.

Yes, the 203 Economy and Economy Plus passengers have to share the three mid-cabin lavs.

To me, they should allow the E+ passengers to also use the BF lavs. Then again, there are already 39 in BF.

WineCountryUA Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am

When converted from the old recliner seats to the lie flat seats, the front lav was removed -- UA 764 seatmaps -- and appears the booking engine seat map is not correct.

The present TATL versions is 39BF, 70E+ (including row 28) and 133E-. 33 fewer economy seats and 19 more BF (nearly doubled) the older version. If anything the BF folks are getting the biggest change.

EWR764 Jun 10, 2013 12:14 pm

There are actually four lavs in the middle of Economy on the 764. The map is wrong there too. There used to be two lavs facing each other in the center section between doors 3L/R, now they sit next to each other and are accessible from the aisle. There is no crossaisle here anymore, which is problematic for flight attendants and passengers trying to cross over from one aisle to the other.

st530 Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 20897443)
When converted from the old recliner seats to the lie flat seats, the front lav was removed -- UA 764 seatmaps -- and appears the booking engine seat map is not correct.

The present TATL versions is 39BF, 70E+ (including row 28) and 133E-. 33 fewer economy seats and 19 more BF (nearly doubled) the older version. If anything the BF folks are getting the biggest change.

It's only 4 more BF seats - the old 764s had 35.

JDS747 Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 20897611)
It's only 4 more BF seats - the old 764s had 35.

There were two different 764s. A high density domestic (20 F) and an international version (35 F) so you both are technically correct.

When I look at the reconfigured 764 seat map I don't see any lavs in the front?? :confused:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...R/default.aspx

Did they just change it or something?

Edit... just pulled up a dummy booking and as WineCountryUA suspected the booking engine shows lavs in the front so it is incorrect.

mcgahat Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 20897327)
Yes, the 203 Economy and Economy Plus passengers have to share the three mid-cabin lavs.

To me, they should allow the E+ passengers to also use the BF lavs. Then again, there are already 39 in BF.

I don't like that ratio if I am in J/C. I don't like the ratio now in C/J.

warreng24 Jun 10, 2013 1:25 pm

So wait, if there's no lav's in front of the BF cabin, the pilots have to walk all the way to the back of the BF cabin to use the lav?

Damn. That sucks for them too.

love_to_travel Jun 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I was just on this type of plane last Saturday EWR-HNL. The lavs are behind BF and in front of E+ and they are roped off, but I saw a few E+ passengers use it, which makes sense to me since it is right there.

mdtakamine Jun 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by love_to_travel (Post 20898034)
I was just on this type of plane last Saturday EWR-HNL. The lavs are behind BF and in front of E+ and they are roped off, but I saw a few E+ passengers use it, which makes sense to me since it is right there.

I was on that flight on Saturday as well with my wife in 1K&L. During the first half of the flight, it seemed like the E+ passengers would just disregard the rope between BF & Y and there were some pretty long queues that developed. It seemed to get better as the flight went on though.

Crazyboutflying Jun 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Wow, long lines for the lav is not what I was hoping for in BF.
That is frankly one of the benefits...not having to wait forever. Did the FA make any effort to have people use the lav in their assigned cabin?

mdtakamine Jun 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dahaberm (Post 20898437)
Wow, long lines for the lav is not what I was hoping for in BF.
That is frankly one of the benefits...not having to wait forever. Did the FA make any effort to have people use the lav in their assigned cabin?

I think the FAs did start enforcing this mid-way through the flight and, as I mentioned before, it did get better (thankfully!) I didn't have to wait long at all during the last half of the flight.

mdf-nyc Jun 10, 2013 2:51 pm

I did actually hear the FA's talking about the lack of a crossover aisle in coach, as EWR764 mentioned. So I guess there were 4 lavs in the middle. Didn't help BF, however.

And yes, warreng24, the pilots and the FA's had to walk thru BF to use the lavs behind it. They did not appear to be amused about this.

And I totally agree with dahaberm: having long queues in BF is NOT good. On my flights, it looked like they did enforce the using lavs in your own cabin...but we still had to wait and wait.

Really, it's ridiculous that they've done this on an international flight. People aren't just popping into the lav for a minute. They're brushing their teeth and dealing with contact lenses and pulling themselves together...

love_to_travel Jun 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by mdtakamine (Post 20898102)
I was on that flight on Saturday as well with my wife in 1K&L. During the first half of the flight, it seemed like the E+ passengers would just disregard the rope between BF & Y and there were some pretty long queues that developed. It seemed to get better as the flight went on though.

Awesome, I was in 1D.

Yeah it was bad at first but got better near the end. I just saw people going in it, I never had to wait though.

CleUnited Jun 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Why do I want to say "And they would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog too?"

Sorry i had to... :P

-Cle-