Why is my routing invalid?

Old Jun 7, 13, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1k.
Why is my routing invalid?

I have a year-long trip to Spain, then on to Singapore. Booked a saver award this morning with the following routing:

NYC - BCN, BCN - SIN, SIN - NYC (a 4 months stopover in BCN, then another 5 months in SIN).

I was quite happy this worked. (Although it could not be done online for whatever reason, had to call reservations.)

But now I am trying another routing and they told me it is invalid because it has both a stopover and an open jaw:

NYC - BUD, BCN - SIN, SIN - NYC

Individual flights are available and I know open jaw and stopover should be combinable. But the supervisor kept insisting that's why the routing is invalid.

I was wondering if the problem is with the zig-zag pattern (east, west, east, west)?

Any suggestions?

Update #1: I called again this am and got the same response. This cannot be priced because it includes an open jaw (BUD-BCN) and a stopover (SIN). The rep checked with a supervisor and s/he could not get it priced either. So are open jaws + stopovers not allowed any more, maybe recent change?

Calling for the n-th time, I am also getting statements that my current booking (NYC - BCN, BCN - SIN, SIN - NYC) is illegal and that whoever did it should not have done it. They start by claiming I am crossing two oceans (which I am not because the SIN-NYC is through FRA). This is really frustrating!

Update #2: So I was finally able to make the change. Wow, how surreal! I was at 23h 45min past my original booking, on the phone for 2h, and they were ready to charge me the $25/pp change fee (and I was close to just requesting cancelation and redeposit.) And this change was done by a rep who originally claimed my booking was invalid (well, the ticketing did the change, she just sat there...).

Case in point: UA reps mostly have no idea what the actual rules are. So they start by saying "No, can't do it." Sad.

Last edited by vip66; Jun 8, 13 at 8:15 am Reason: update
Old Jun 7, 13, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by vip66 View Post

But now I am trying another routing and they told me it is invalid because it has both a stopover and an open jaw:

There is nothing inherently 'illegal' about this routing.

Hang up and call again.
Old Jun 7, 13, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
I have a year-long trip to Spain, then on to Singapore. Booked a saver award this morning with the following routing:

NYC - BCN, BCN - SIN, SIN - NYC (a 4 months stopover in BCN, then another 5 months in SIN).

I was quite happy this worked. (Although it could not be done online for whatever reason, had to call reservations.)

Individual flights are available and I know open jaw and stopover should be combinable. But the supervisor kept insisting that's why the routing is invalid.

I was wondering if the problem is with the zig-zag pattern (east, west, east, west)?

Any suggestions?
Some agents simply did not know the rules well. Try to call again.

I used to have the Asia-US itinerary, round trip with an open jaw and stopover, first agent couldn't get it done coz she thought it had to be what UA could display in the routing online to determine its validity.
Old Jun 7, 13, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Why are so many UA agents completely incompetent?
Old Jun 8, 13, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
are you sure this is a stopover and open jaw? i would think a-b b-c and d-a would be an stopover + open jaw. but yours is a-b c-d and d-a.
Old Jun 8, 13, 12:47 am

Perhaps this exceeds the MPM for NYC-SIN going east?

Last edited by akonradi; Jun 8, 13 at 1:02 am
Old Jun 8, 13, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
MPM haven't been in effect since the Borg takeover of UA.
Old Jun 8, 13, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1k.
Originally Posted by travel.flier View Post
are you sure this is a stopover and open jaw? i would think a-b b-c and d-a would be an stopover + open jaw. but yours is a-b c-d and d-a.
Well, I don't think it is but that's what the UA reservations supervisor called it.

But I guess I'll keep calling to see if some other rep is more willing to dig deeper into this.

Last edited by vip66; Jun 8, 13 at 8:14 am Reason: update
Old Jun 8, 13, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Well, I don't think it is but that's what the UA reservations supervisor called it.

But I guess I'll keep calling to see if some other rep is more willing to dig deeper into this.

Update: I called again this am and got the same response. This cannot be priced because it includes an open jaw (BUD-BCN) and a stopover (SIN). The rep checked with a supervisor and s/he could not get it priced either. So are open jaws + stopovers not allowed any more, maybe recent change?

Calling for the n-th time, I am also getting statements that my current booking (NYC - BCN, BCN - SIN, SIN - NYC) is illegal and that whoever did it should not have done it. They start by claiming I am crossing two oceans (which I am not because the SIN-NYC is through FRA). This is really frustrating!
Your flights have a stopover (BCN/BUD), open jaw (BCN-BUD) and a destination (SIN). It should be ok, but....

.....most agents (and the computer) cannot price out a ground segment (an open jaw in the middle of the itinerary)

Just book NYC-BCN, BCN-SIN, SIN-NYC again. Flights from BUD to BCN cost pennies on Wizz.

MPM is irrelevant.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 8, 13 at 3:05 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 8, 13, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
I think this routing just *seems* weird to the agents. It's fundamentally a US->Asia award. But I am a little confused. To have the open-jaw in the middle the time between flights has to be less than 24 hours, otherwise it would be two stopovers, right?
Old Jun 8, 13, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by astroflyer View Post
I think this routing just *seems* weird to the agents. It's fundamentally a US->Asia award. But I am a little confused. To have the open-jaw in the middle the time between flights has to be less than 24 hours, otherwise it would be two stopovers, right?
I only see one stopover (also an OJ/surface sector BUD-BCN) and one destination (SIN). Should be fine.
Old Jun 8, 13, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
I only see one stopover (also an OJ/surface sector BUD-BCN) and one destination (SIN). Should be fine.
This is what causes issues for UA agents (and computers)
Old Jun 8, 13, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
since the Borg takeover of UA.
LOL Sad but true...

F.R.
Old Jun 8, 13, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
You're right, somehow I confused myself.
Old Jun 8, 13, 9:01 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I don't think it exceeds. I have two award tickets, which the first one starts in 2 weeks. And the second ticket is for Feb 2014.

1. DCA-(YYZ)-(ADD)-SEZ-(ADD)-(IST)-(BKK)-SGN,HAN-(BKK)-(FRA)-IAD
2. IAD-(BRU)-MAD-(FRA)-BKK-USM-BKK-FRA-IAD

Search this Thread
Search Engine: