Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver Airways now CODESHARE partner (not UX) -- Experiences? Bag allowance? Mileage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
2013 -- Silver Airways changed from UX operator to codeshare for Florida flights
2014 -- Silver Airways operations out of IAD also convert to codeshares

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/earn-miles/airline-partners/silver-airways.html
Earning miles on Silver Airways flights
If your ticket was purchased directly from united.com, by calling the United Customer Contact Center (including a United specialty desk, such as United Groups, United Meetings or the Premier Priority Desk), from a United representative at the airport, or through a United ticket office, you'll earn miles based on the fare footnote1, footnote2 and your MileagePlus status. Please reference the "Ticket number starts with 016" section below. footnote3 Otherwise, you should reference the "Ticket number does not start with 016" section. footnote4 You'll earn miles based on flight distance footnote5 and the purchased fare class and/or fare class flown. footnote6
Note only RDMS, no PQMs
Using miles
See our award chart to find out how many miles you'll need to fly one way or roundtrip, depending on class of service and region of travel, on any Star Alliance network airline. You can book award travel on Silver Airways through united.com. Service charges may apply for booking or changing award reservations, depending on ticketing, travel dates and MileagePlus status. Award tickets cannot be issued at the airport. Call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to reach the United Customer Contact Center within the U.S. and Canada, or view more contact and language options.
Checked baggage
Service charges apply whenever bags are checked with Silver Airways as the first operating carrier, and are determined by the marketing carrier.
Please note that service charge waivers for the following customers do not apply to codeshare flights with Silver Airways:
  • MileagePlus Premier members
  • United MileagePlus Chase card members
For more information and to determine specific checked baggage service charges, please see the checked baggage page. Additional baggage policies for travel on Silver Airways may be found on their website.
Print Wikipost

Silver Airways now CODESHARE partner (not UX) -- Experiences? Bag allowance? Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
see the referenced thread, Silver is no longer UX in FL, it is non *A codeshare. Therefore no PQMs.
YMMV. I flew FLL-FPO on a UA ticketed, UA Codeshares flight last month and when I emailed United to post the miles (Silver flights do not post automatically - must email in) UA coded them in my account as UA Express flights with 500 PQMs and RDMs and it counted towards lifetime lfight miles.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
YMMV. I flew FLL-FPO on a UA ticketed, UA Codeshares flight last month and when I emailed United to post the miles (Silver flights do not post automatically - must email in) UA coded them in my account as UA Express flights with 500 PQMs and RDMs and it counted towards lifetime lfight miles.
My version of YMMV.

I flew PBI-MCO-PBI on Silver and UA refuse to give the credit. Telling me according to .bomb only UA codeshare flights in and out of FLL counts.

I emailed back request further clarification but have not heard anything yet.

UPDATE:
I emailed 1k Voice again and received no clarification but a simple note that they will give me the miles.

Later the day, my experience is similar to weirdlyndon. Those 3M flights were credited to my MP account as UAX flights, with the corresponding 3M flight number (3M 4002 flight credited as UA 4002 flight). They are 500 miles RDM, 500 miles 1K bonus RDM, 500 Miles PQM and 500 Miles lifetime just like every other UAX flight.
Again, could be a big YMMV.

Last edited by wanymayold; Dec 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reason: add UPDATE on Dec 21
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by DEN

No United App check in available
Failed at United Kiosk Check in

Nothing on my itinerary told me to do anything special with this flight. I guess I'm supposed to know the difference between "UA 4014, Operated by United Express/Silver Airways" and "UA 4014, Operated by Silver Airways"

DEN
I believe Silver is now hosted in SABRE, so kiosk (connected to Shares) would not work.

UAX carriers reservations are managed in Shares, Silver manages itself in SABRE.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TPJ
I believe Silver is now hosted in SABRE, so kiosk (connected to Shares) would not work.

UAX carriers reservations are managed in Shares, Silver manages itself in SABRE.
While this is true that Silver uses SABRE for its PSS, it is incorrect that the systems do not 'talk' with each other. I was successfully able to check in at a kiosk last month going LGA-IAH-FLL-FPO and issued a boarding pass for the FLL-FPO segment. Conversely, on my return, agent in FPO printed my boarding passes all the way to LGA. When I landed in FLL on the return, the United app showed me as checked in.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Silver Airways becoming a CODESHARE partner in FL instead of a UAX Carrier

I flew EWR-TPA-TLH yesterday, with the second segment on Silver. EWR-TPA will put me at 99,800 PQM's for the year; the Silver flight at 0 PQM's won't help me. No further flights planned between now and Dec 31. Aaaaargh!

Boarding pass was issued at the gate for Silver; didn't realize I had to check in on their website.

Also, pet fees are ambiguous on multi-segment itineraries. Assuming $125 on UA, can you take your pet on the second segment without paying Silver another pet fee? #whoknows
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
While this is true that Silver uses SABRE for its PSS, it is incorrect that the systems do not 'talk' with each other.
Agree - they will 'talk' to each other for EDIFACT Through Check-in.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Do I still earn miles if connecting flight (UAL codeshare Silver Airways) cancels?

LAX-MCO-GNV, but Silver Airways cancelled the flight from MCO-GNV

I was set to earn about 104 RDM for the trip, but it was cancelled, and the airline instead hired limo service to take the 4 (!) passengers up to Gainesville.

WOndering how I get credit for the flight even though it was cancelled.

I certainly paid for the flight.

I understand Silver is no longer operating as a United Express carrier, so I would not earn any PEQM regardless.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Should be able to retro-credit for ticketed itinerary. Keep whatever documentation you can get of what actually transpired.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
... I was set to earn about 104 RDM for the trip, ....
Originally Posted by WindFlyer
Should be able to retro-credit for ticketed itinerary. Keep whatever documentation you can get of what actually transpired.
How much effort is 104 RDMs worth?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
…evidently enough to start a thread on how to get them…

Ultimately, that's for the OP to decide.

Last edited by WindFlyer; Dec 22, 2013 at 1:08 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Flying to EYW in a few days, I am short miles for Gold Status if my TPA-EYW-RSW miles are not credited I will be short 175 miles. So because of Silver I will remain a Silver unless I do a 1 day mileage run before the end of the year. Going to FLL Jan 1 because rental car rates drop big time even on 12/31 that is why I am not going before 1/1.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
not much. Its not the points, its the principle of the thing.

And to be honest, its not going to take much effort to get them.

Imagine if 100,000 people per year did nothing in a similar situation - UAL would pocket 10,400,000 Mileage Plus miles!

I doubt if there is a reason to complain further. I arrived at my designation about an hour later using auto vs plane
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
not much. Its not the points, its the principle of the thing.

And to be honest, its not going to take much effort to get them.

Imagine if 100,000 people per year did nothing in a similar situation - UAL would pocket 10,400,000 Mileage Plus miles!

it is Silver Airways that benefits if the miles are not posted (since they buy the miles from UA), No UA.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Did you get the PQS as well? I am one segment short of requalifying for 2P in 2014 and there is a sweet segment run MCO-PBI-MCO for $50 ai on Christmas Day. Down and back in three hours. Marketed and sold by united at united.com with UA flight numbers "operated by Silver Airways."

The cost and timing are perfect, but I'm concerned about getting the segment. I examined the Silver partner page at united.com and it is silent on the question of PQM/PQS.

Originally Posted by wanymayold
My version of YMMV.

I flew PBI-MCO-PBI on Silver and UA refuse to give the credit. Telling me according to .bomb only UA codeshare flights in and out of FLL counts.

I emailed back request further clarification but have not heard anything yet.

UPDATE:
I emailed 1k Voice again and received no clarification but a simple note that they will give me the miles.

Later the day, my experience is similar to weirdlyndon. Those 3M flights were credited to my MP account as UAX flights, with the corresponding 3M flight number (3M 4002 flight credited as UA 4002 flight). They are 500 miles RDM, 500 miles 1K bonus RDM, 500 Miles PQM and 500 Miles lifetime just like every other UAX flight.
Again, could be a big YMMV.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by flavorflav
Did you get the PQS as well? I am one segment short of requalifying for 2P in 2014 and there is a sweet segment run MCO-PBI-MCO for $50 ai on Christmas Day. Down and back in three hours. Marketed and sold by united at united.com with UA flight numbers "operated by Silver Airways."

The cost and timing are perfect, but I'm concerned about getting the segment. I examined the Silver partner page at united.com and it is silent on the question of PQM/PQS.
technically you are not supposed to get PQM/PQS on silver airways flights operated within florida - they are supposed to be straight mileage earners only. however, others (myself included) have seen them post with the PQM and PQS (i had to call to get it manually added - she told me on the phone it does not count towards elite status, but then when it processed through i got the 500 PQM and 1 PQS)

YMMV...if it posts then great - but dont expect to call in later and get them to manually adjust with PQM/PQS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.