Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver Airways now CODESHARE partner (not UX) -- Experiences? Bag allowance? Mileage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
2013 -- Silver Airways changed from UX operator to codeshare for Florida flights
2014 -- Silver Airways operations out of IAD also convert to codeshares

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/earn-miles/airline-partners/silver-airways.html
Earning miles on Silver Airways flights
If your ticket was purchased directly from united.com, by calling the United Customer Contact Center (including a United specialty desk, such as United Groups, United Meetings or the Premier Priority Desk), from a United representative at the airport, or through a United ticket office, you'll earn miles based on the fare footnote1, footnote2 and your MileagePlus status. Please reference the "Ticket number starts with 016" section below. footnote3 Otherwise, you should reference the "Ticket number does not start with 016" section. footnote4 You'll earn miles based on flight distance footnote5 and the purchased fare class and/or fare class flown. footnote6
Note only RDMS, no PQMs
Using miles
See our award chart to find out how many miles you'll need to fly one way or roundtrip, depending on class of service and region of travel, on any Star Alliance network airline. You can book award travel on Silver Airways through united.com. Service charges may apply for booking or changing award reservations, depending on ticketing, travel dates and MileagePlus status. Award tickets cannot be issued at the airport. Call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to reach the United Customer Contact Center within the U.S. and Canada, or view more contact and language options.
Checked baggage
Service charges apply whenever bags are checked with Silver Airways as the first operating carrier, and are determined by the marketing carrier.
Please note that service charge waivers for the following customers do not apply to codeshare flights with Silver Airways:
  • MileagePlus Premier members
  • United MileagePlus Chase card members
For more information and to determine specific checked baggage service charges, please see the checked baggage page. Additional baggage policies for travel on Silver Airways may be found on their website.
Print Wikipost

Silver Airways now CODESHARE partner (not UX) -- Experiences? Bag allowance? Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Robert
I'm looking to book a one-way award ticket EYW-TPA-XXX. The Key West – Tampa segment carries a UA flight number, but the flight is operated by Silver Airways. Although the flight I'm looking to book shows X7, multiple reservations agents that I've spoken with are unable to see the award inventory and issue a ticket. UA will gladly sell me a revenue seat, but I'm not having any luck getting an award ticket.

Has anyone had success booking an ex-EYW UA award flight operated by Silver Airways?
Silver's not listed as an award partner.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...airawards.aspx
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
That is definitely a bummer, because that is one of our favorite uses of award miles. The trip from EWR to FLL or TPA is always quite cheap, but the puddle jumper on Silver (what was UA Express) is where the $$ come in. Silver just recently became a partner airline instead of a US Express affiliate. I had no idea that meant award tickets were no longer possible.

Another change I don't like....
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtwiz
Another change I don't like....
And this change is due to Smisek, not Silver Airways wanting to go on their own within Florida?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Silver's not listed as an award partner.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...airawards.aspx
Thanks, aacharya. I made the incorrect assumption that because of the UA flight number, the segment could be booked using miles, regardless of operating carrier. It looks like the only award option ex-EYW is on US Airways metal.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robert
Thanks, aacharya. I made the incorrect assumption that because of the UA flight number, the segment could be booked using miles, regardless of operating carrier. It looks like the only award option ex-EYW is on US Airways metal.
It is confusing, to say the least. I'd have assumed the same.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:55 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Odd, I have an award flight on Silver coming up over Thanksgiving:

Flight: UA4048
Operated by Silver Airways.
Aircraft: Saab 340/340B
Fare Class: Economy (X)
Meal: None

I booked it ~2 months ago, so possibly related?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by glx
Odd, I have an award flight on Silver coming up over Thanksgiving:

Flight: UA4048
Operated by Silver Airways.
Aircraft: Saab 340/340B
Fare Class: Economy (X)
Meal: None

I booked it ~2 months ago, so possibly related?
Codeshare only in the Florida/Caribbean markets served by Silver. IAD and CLE flights operated by Silver remain under the United Express umbrella.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K Hilton Diamond
I just ran into a HUGE problem with Silver flying MCO to PNS this weekend. Not knowing of the change in status with united, I was rudely awakened to the fact that Silver is not a Star Alliance partner with United and therefore if you fly them only, or as your first leg of any journey you will have to pay $25 for your first bag and then $35 for each bag thereafter. If your bag is over 50 lbs then it is $100 per bag. Silver did not recognize my 1K status, nor work with me on any of this seeing that they made the change somewhat without any fanfare.

I walked down to the UA customer service manager at MCO and Liz did an amazing job of accommodating me and my associate on a trip using UA metal only. We had five large cases with us that would have cost us $500 to transport on an airline where the tickets for both of us only cost $300 total!

Other than accruing miles(Which I'm not sure I actually did) why would United put them in their computer matrix when no courtesies are being extended to their frequent fliers? This is so wrong.

This is the same as united selling me a Delta(skyteam) ticket...what's the benefit to me?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
Other than accruing miles(Which I'm not sure I actually did) why would United put them in their computer matrix when no courtesies are being extended to their frequent fliers? This is so wrong.

This is the same as united selling me a Delta(skyteam) ticket...what's the benefit to me?
The key benefit of being able to buy a ticket from A to C (transiting in B) from a single company, vs. buying A-B on United and B-C on Silver Airways, is that in case of irregular operations you have a contract which says the carrier is responsible from getting you from A to C, and they will get you there. Let me give an example in a region where UA frequently sells another carrier's tickets.

Compare with how UA will sell you a ticket from OGG-HNL-SFO, with the first leg on Hawaiian Air (who is not a *A carrier, has bag fees, etc.).

If UA were unwilling to sell you that ticket, when traveling OGG-SFO you would have to either (1) only buy tickets on UA longhaul flights ex-OGG (which might mean you end up paying higher prices as there are fewer seats available if you exclude flights from the other islands) or (2) buy two separate tickets and hope that nothing goes wrong.

Just to spell out the risk with (2), if you have a single ticket OGG-HNL-SFO and something goes wrong with the OGG-HNL flight, UA will try to re-protect you on other options, for example a nonstop OGG-SFO. But, on the other hand, if you have separate tickets OGG-HNL and HNL-SFO and something goes wrong with the OGG-HNL flight, UA will almost certainly do nothing for you *until you get to HNL*, which can extend your total trip duration.

By way of contrast, in this case, though, it is a huge bummer that UA discontinued their United Express deal with Silver — as you point out, it is a pain that you lose the UA status benefits. Great to hear that UA was willing to reaccommodate you on an all-UA-metal itinerary; that was the right thing to do and I'm glad it worked out.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:41 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Has anyone run into issues with having TSA Precheck on UA ticketed segments for Silver Airways? For example, MCO-PNS.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
AFAIK if you were only ticketed MCO-PNS then PreCheck would not show up on your boarding pass because your boarding pass would now be issued by Silver Airways rather than UA.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA-Platinum , Marriott- Lifetime Gold
Do you elite flyers receive 500 miles for a Silver flight that is part of a United itinerary ?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by rcodey
Do you elite flyers receive 500 miles for a Silver flight that is part of a United itinerary ?
Even as a "soon to be elite" I get 500 mile credit. The problem is it is not automatically credited. I must wait 3 weeks, scan and upload boarding passes to UA. Even then, 50% of the time it does not work. They currently owe me 6 segments. Which is why I don't have status yet. Sliver sucks. They were not ready to go out on their own.

Since the Silver switch to "Partner" I have lost the UA app, the UA website functions, electronic boarding passes, the ability to select a seat online, Premier Access security line, free checked bags, any electronic notification of flight delay, automatic mileage credit and so on.

I feel like they did a bait and switch when I selected UA to be my primary provider last year!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by smassey22180
Even as a "soon to be elite" I get 500 mile credit. The problem is it is not automatically credited. I must wait 3 weeks, scan and upload boarding passes to UA. Even then, 50% of the time it does not work. They currently owe me 6 segments. Which is why I don't have status yet. Sliver sucks. They were not ready to go out on their own.

Since the Silver switch to "Partner" I have lost the UA app, the UA website functions, electronic boarding passes, the ability to select a seat online, Premier Access security line, free checked bags, any electronic notification of flight delay, automatic mileage credit and so on.

I feel like they did a bait and switch when I selected UA to be my primary provider last year!

Are the free checked bags gone? It has hit or miss for me.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bruceba
Are the free checked bags gone? It has hit or miss for me.
If the first leg of a res starts with Silver, than unfortunately you're still responsible for bag fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.