Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United charged full fare for award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM.

Last week, we "purchased" a round trip from SFO to FAT with a few days notice. We chose the dates and flights that had saver seats (10K miles, $2.50 per leg). We chose and checked out using 20,000 miles and $5.

Once we checked in at SFO and got the receipt, we noticed that the price was over $600. Sure enough, checking in online for the return showed we were "earning miles."

I am positive we bought with miles. We chose inconvenient days and flights to get saver seats. When calling, the CSR states they have screenshots that we bought the tickets. I think she was fibbing as we didn't purchase this (we have 100s and 100s of thousands of miles).

Has anyone experienced such an issue???
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by gsalem94122
Last week, we "purchased" a round trip from SFO to FAT with a few days notice. We chose the dates and flights that had saver seats (10K miles, $2.50 per leg). We chose and checked out using 20,000 miles and $5.

Once we checked in at SFO and got the receipt, we noticed that the price was over $600. Sure enough, checking in online for the return showed we were "earning miles."

I am positive we bought with miles. We chose inconvenient days and flights to get saver seats. When calling, the CSR states they have screenshots that we bought the tickets. I think she was fibbing as we didn't purchase this (we have 100s and 100s of thousands of miles).

Has anyone experienced such an issue???
Only when I click on the wrong button.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Do you have an e-mail with your original e-ticket receipt? What does it say?

Subject line would contain the phrase "eTicket Itinerary and Receipt for Confirmation".
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
Only when I click on the wrong button.
And I'm positive that's what happened here. It's on the final screen, where normally on a revenue ticket, it offers a flexible fare. But for awards, it lets you know how much a revenue ticket is.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When you book an award ticket, there is a box at the top of the screen which says "You can purchase this itinerary for $x." Possible you clicked this box by mistake?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
Originally Posted by Kacee
When you book an award ticket, there is a box at the top of the screen which says "You can purchase this itinerary for $x." Possible you clicked this box by mistake?
Thanks. I suppose that is possible, but unlikely.

The United CSR says that they have screenshots that we actually searched for a revenue fare and not an award ticket. There is no way I was doing that. (In fact, the first flight noted a $70+ charge because it was so close. It got lowered to a total of $5 as we are Platinum/1Ks. We remembered seeing this.)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

The United CSR says that they have screenshots that we actually searched for a revenue fare and not an award ticket.
Interesting that they claim to have screenshots. They've always denied any ability to recreate a screenshot when I've said "but I got a screen that said . . . ."
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
They may be able to see your activity, what you searched for, etc, but "screenshot" is a very weird way for them to describe it. They most certainly do not have real "screenshots."
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:02 pm

Huh??? UA has screen shots of our searches?

Can you ask to see them?

The United CSR says that they have screenshots that we actually searched for a revenue fare and not an award ticket. There is no way I was doing that. (In fact, the first flight noted a $70+ charge because it was so close. It got lowered to a total of $5 as we are Platinum/1Ks. We remembered seeing this.)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi
Huh??? UA has screen shots of our searches?

Can you ask to see them?
Sigh. I'm sure they didn't say "screenshots" and mean "pdf renderings of every screen". But they probably have some form/entry data, especially as award searches go through different processing at the end versus revenue.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:14 pm

Sounds like the kind of thing a CSR makes up when he/she just wants to get rid of you.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

The United CSR says that they have screenshots that we actually searched for a revenue fare and not an award ticket. ....
As others have said, the best confirmation is the original email from UA at time of purchase. Instead of guessing, you need to find that e-mail. Also, you can check the time/date of the credit card charge.

The ability to cash purchase an award ticket is there and you will not be the first to have miss-selected.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like the kind of thing a CSR makes up when he/she just wants to get rid of you.
most probably but there do have the transaction history.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This can go on forever. OP, shortly after you booked, you received an email from UA containing an e-ticket receipt. That will show any actual cash paid.

More to the point, what does the CC you used to pay fees, etc. show for a debit item?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I'll admit to having clicked the wrong button. Fortunately, I pretty quickly noticed the $17,000 charge for a TATL in Global First with partners, and managed to get it refunded within 24 hours and rebooked with miles.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA PremExec

As others have said, just look at the email you got when you bought the ticket. That would answer all questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.