Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United charged full fare for award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United charged full fare for award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
Those two bookings will have different ticket numbers. Each credit card charge is associated with a specific ticket number. You can only dispute the charge associated with your email receipt.
Not necessarily so, Ive changed many a PNR even to different flights,routings and dates of travel and the PNR stayed the same as my org PNR. Ive also used several different CCs on 1 PNR. 1 recent res had 4 different CCs used on it.

Sure at times if theres a reissue the tkt # can/will change, but that doesnt prove anything to who changed it. Youd be back to sq 1 where as the passenger youd be claiming you changed nothing and the carrier saying we have changes that were made on xx/xx/xx, sometimes new tkt #s sometimes a partial refund or more funds paid. Since a different CC could have been used the orginal CC wont have any changes to the original res

(personally my res was made months in adv, after having done so the CC was CXed so I needed to use another 1 for the changes made. Further changes required additional add collects and I wanted to use a CC where I had to meet a min spend for the bonus)
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by ryman554
Agreed.

Very easy to do when in a hurry.

While it's not anything illegal, it sure feels a bit slimy every time I see it.
It's completely slimy, and I always think of stuff like that when I start to wonder if I really want to give a company that does that my business.

Originally Posted by gsalem94122
Last week, we "purchased" a round trip from SFO to FAT with a few days notice. We chose the dates and flights that had saver seats (10K miles, $2.50 per leg). We chose and checked out using 20,000 miles and $5.

Once we checked in at SFO and got the receipt, we noticed that the price was over $600. Sure enough, checking in online for the return showed we were "earning miles."

I am positive we bought with miles. We chose inconvenient days and flights to get saver seats. When calling, the CSR states they have screenshots that we bought the tickets. I think she was fibbing as we didn't purchase this (we have 100s and 100s of thousands of miles).

Has anyone experienced such an issue???
It should be easy enough to go to the .bomb and check "past" reservations and see what the receipt says.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 6, 2013 at 10:36 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by UAkls
As others have said, just look at the email you got when you bought the ticket. That would answer all questions.
Has anyone else been getting these emails lately? I have several tickets that I can't get them for, even when I request a new receipt. Several agents "have no clue why they're not sending"
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
OP will surely deliver...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by roadkit
It's completely slimy, and I always think of stuff like that when I start to wonder if I really want to give a company that does that my business.
I'm going to take a different perspective. I don't think this particular option is confusing or misleading. It very clearly states "You can purchase this itinerary for $xxx." This leaves no doubt in my mind what will happen if I click that button. (As opposed to the button which says "Book this award.") And frankly I like being offered the option to purchase instead of burning miles, particularly if it's on partner flights that .bomb typically will not price (this has happened to me, for example, booking on Copa from PTY-CTG, where the normal booking engine will not show any flights).
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Not necessarily so, Ive changed many a PNR even to different flights,routings and dates of travel and the PNR stayed the same as my org PNR. Ive also used several different CCs on 1 PNR. 1 recent res had 4 different CCs used on it.

Sure at times if theres a reissue the tkt # can/will change, but that doesnt prove anything to who changed it. Youd be back to sq 1 where as the passenger youd be claiming you changed nothing and the carrier saying we have changes that were made on xx/xx/xx, sometimes new tkt #s sometimes a partial refund or more funds paid. Since a different CC could have been used the orginal CC wont have any changes to the original res...
It is really not that complicated.@:-) Each credit card charge has a ticket number, not PNR, associated with it. It doesn't matter if it is the original ticket or reissue. In case of reissue, the add coll will be associated with a new ticket number.

In the case of OP, there was no reissue. He/she only needs to show ticket receipt with $5 charge to credit card company and dispute the full fare charge. End of story. If UA claims that ticket was reissued into full fare, then there should have been two ticket numbers and two separate charges. Just dispute the second charge which he/she didn't authorize.

Some examples (redacted with x):
From my MasterCard statement:
MM/DD AIR FRAN05723xxxxxxx032 NEW YORK NY $x,xx7.23
NAME: K/TERRY
DEPART: MM/DD/YY
xxx TO CDG : AF: CLASS: Z : STOP:X
CDG TO JFK : AF: CLASS: Z : STOP:O
JFK TO CDG : AF: CLASS: Z : STOP:X
CDG TO xxx : AF: CLASS: Z : STOP:O
From my Amex statement:
DELTA AIR LINES ATLANTA $xx1.90
DELTA AIR LINES
N.Y. J F KENNEDY I LOS ANGELES INTERN DL X
N/A YY 00
N/A YY 00
N/A YY 00
Ticket Number: 006232xxxxxxx15 Date of Departure: MM/DD
PassengerName: K/TERRY
They only show ticket numbers, not PNR.

Last edited by TerryK; Jun 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm going to take a different perspective. I don't think this particular option is confusing or misleading. It very clearly states "You can purchase this itinerary for $xxx." This leaves no doubt in my mind what will happen if I click that button. (As opposed to the button which says "Book this award.") And frankly I like being offered the option to purchase instead of burning miles, particularly if it's on partner flights that .bomb typically will not price (this has happened to me, for example, booking on Copa from PTY-CTG, where the normal booking engine will not show any flights).
The problem is this: they configure the buttons in some of the situations so they seems like "continue" or "okay" buttons, but that's not what they are. There's a reason that people here report accidentally clicking them. If you're just clicking repeatedly to get through to the end of the process, it's very easy to hit it without having any idea what you're doing. I guess that if you find it so clear, you might just be smarter than I am, or think quicker than I do.

To make the anaolgy to the candy bar at the checkout, it would be the equivalent of the cashier saying "you want a Snickers with that, right?" That would annoy most people.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The problem is this: they configure the buttons in some of the situations so they seems like "continue" or "okay" buttons, but that's not what they are. There's a reason that people here report accidentally clicking them. If you're just clicking repeatedly to get through to the end of the process, it's very easy to hit it without having any idea what you're doing. I guess that if you find it so clear, you might just be smarter than I am, or think quicker than I do.

To make the anaolgy to the candy bar at the checkout, it would be the equivalent of the cashier saying "you want a Snickers with that, right?" That would annoy most people.
I've dealt with this particular button. It's not confusing if you're paying any attention at all. If you fail to make that minimal effort, the mistake is yours. I say this as someone who has made these sorts of mistakes before (e.g., purchasing ticket with wrong return date). I just think it's wrong to blame United when the problem is not paying attention to what you're doing.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:18 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
No. It's more like the "Do you want fries with that?" which makes millions, annoying or not.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Has anyone else been getting these emails lately?
I booked several award tickets over the past two weeks in connection with a critical illness/death in the family and didn't receive a single confirmation email. As a standard practice I always make a pdf of the screen whenever I book a ticket online, so it hasn't been a problem for me, but if one is expecting an email there could be a problem.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Jackstay
I booked several award tickets over the past two weeks in connection with a critical illness/death in the family and didn't receive a single confirmation email. As a standard practice I always make a pdf of the screen whenever I book a ticket online, so it hasn't been a problem for me, but if one is expecting an email there could be a problem.
That's strange. I always get e-mails for award tickets. Maybe check your spam?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Maybe check your spam?
No, and I'm still getting normal confirmations on paid tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.