Wiki Posts
Search

Beware seat selection charges on CRJ700

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: kettle emeritus, exDL GM .96MM, exUA PP, ex AS MVP
Beware seat selection charges on CRJ700

Two days ago, I made an award travel reservation for my granddaughter RSW-IAH-DAL and return. UA's website said that taxes would be $10. On the outbound flight, I selected an EP seat for a charge of $26. Selected non-EP seats on the flights between IAH and DAL. On the last flight, a CRJ700 from IAH to RSW, selected seat 10C which, according to UA's seat map was not EP. When I got to the Purchase page, suddenly the total charges to me were $76--with no indication as to where the additional $40 charge came from. Not wanting to chance the loss of these flights, I paid the $76 and assumed I would get the $40 back from UA.

Yesterday, I called CS three times. The first two calls went to agents who adamantly claimed that Row 10 was EP--despite UA's seat map page clearly stating that rows 10-11 were not EP. Finally, on the third call, an agent was sufficiently diligent and talked with IT and confirmed that rows 10 and 11 were regular economy and quickly refunded my $40.

Had I been paying for these flights, rather than using miles, I suspect I never would have noticed the additional $40 when looking at the total cost for the trip.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
You're a plat? If so, you should have been able to select E+ for free when using your miles anyway.

How did you figure out that the $40 was an E+ fee? And the seat didn't show up as E+ when you were selecting it?
Old May 31, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you're PP (Platinum), why are you paying for E+?
Old May 31, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
$40 doesn't sounds correct for E+. It's either an error or for something else. Check your e-ticket receipt. That will show the fare breakdown by segment + taxes + fees. Somewhere there will either be a $40 or items totalling to $40 which you don't recognize. If they should be there, you're OK, if they're not, raise them specifically to UA.

I can't see how as a Plat you were charged for E+ at all.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
$40 doesn't sounds correct for E+.

Sounds correct to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.